Best nissan engine?

kmc63

I have read all about all the engine swaps and what not, ka/sr/fj/vg and of course the L and A series. What I want to know is for reliability and longevity which of all these motors would be the best. My way of thinking tells me the vg,more displacement less hop up parts? I know you can turbo a motor and get lots more power but wont that shorten the life,I never hear of a 300hp 4 cylinder going 100,000 miles just curious and I am interested because my next 510 will need a reliable engine. Never had my vg-30 on the dyno but I figure close to 200hp very few aftermarket parts is a ka reliable at 200hp?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all i have to say is that companies now are making turbo and supercharged motors stock that last hundreds of thousands of miles

i personally would go vg simply because of these factors

cheap reliable power

aftermarket performance parts are out there and in more abundance then l series stuff

turbo v6 need i say more?

im personally looking into a vg then supercharging it (alot less plumbing and no lag)

Well they are all fairly reliable but if you are asking reliable at 300 hp then this narrows it down a lot. Because the higher the output the shorter the engine life I would go with the largest displacement motor that makes power closest to this stock. With the reaoning that the less harder it works the longer it will last.

A VG30i or VG30E makes about 160 hp. VG30ETs in the Z31 are more as are the VG30DET and the import DETT. One of these probably makes 300.

Again I have to say when is it enough hp? A 150 hp KA is scary. 200hp is rocket ship. 300 would go back in time. Eventually you get to the point where you aren't enjoying the drive because you are too busy aiming it.

I think that the KA and the VG will both go 200K if you change the oil on a regular basis. I know of many of both of these engines that have gone over 200K without ever having to do any repairs. The VG30 is 160HP the KA24DE is 165HP. The torque is the big difference. VG30 has much more torque which is better for street driving.

I decided on the VG33, 180HP and 195 torque, as I wanted a reliable, powerful, torquey engine in stock form.

Last time I spoke with Frank was a few months ago he burned up a piston and was going to replace it. Thanks for your input on the motor thing guys. My next datsun will be more of a beater but will have a nicer motor,one I can really play in. And dont forget "if its fun its probably illegal"

I know the 620's and 510's only weigh 2500-2800 lbs. give or take so why would 150, even 200 HP be scary? If you have the right suspension, brake, and rearend modifications, then you should be safe as long as you know how to drive. Without those common sense modifications, I would agree it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Although my Z had a totally different dynamic, my L28 was pushing 245 and weighed 2800 +. I considered that underpowered for how the car was set-up.

Anytime you modify a motor or do a swap, there are weight and center of gravity issues to calculate as well as getting the power to the ground safely etc.

Dislexic: I am interested to know what you think about the g54B's. I see you own a few conquests. Mine is built to displace just shy of 2.8 liters and I have eliminated balance shafts and components such as PS, AC etc. This will swap into the 620 eventually and I have started taking some measurements and it looks like the motor will fit but may be a bit tall due to the longer stroke. The tranny is the KM132 and has roughly the same size BH as the dogleg. What I don't have is an idea of weight so I can start planning the suspension and brake upgrades. Do you know approximately how much the G54B weighs as oppossed to an L18? Also, the motor is built to just shy of 250HP and as you know the torque numbers are spectacular for these engines (Stock is 105/140 as oppossed to the L18 @ 97/100). I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

• Like 1

one thing you didn't consider in your original post was economy. I don't know how much that matters to you, but with gas prices I'd be learning towards one of the four cylinder options. Especially if you plan on staying NA. I think Mike makes a good point about having too much horsepower.

something like I mildly modified KA24DE would probably make 170, 180 horsepower without any issues of reliability, be fairly economical, and be plenty fast in a 510. Additonally everything I've researched makes it sound like a KA swap is definitely the easiest engine swap to do.

just my 2 cents.

I know the 620's and 510's only weigh 2500-2800 lbs. give or take so why would 150, even 200 HP be scary? If you have the right suspension, brake, and rearend modifications, then you should be safe as long as you know how to drive. Without those common sense modifications, I would agree it would be an accident waiting to happen.

Although my Z had a totally different dynamic, my L28 was pushing 245 and weighed 2800 +. I considered that underpowered for how the car was set-up.

Anytime you modify a motor or do a swap, there are weight and center of gravity issues to calculate as well as getting the power to the ground safely etc.

The 510 weighs just under 2100 in stock condition. 150HP in a 2100 pound should not be scary but 300HP in a 2100 pound car might be. It all depends on how the suspension and brakes are set up and your driving ability. I have driven a 300+ HP 510 (Brian Osborn's KA24DET that was originally owned and built by Turbo Tom) That car was set up great and it was super fast but not scary.

I have a 240Z that has a 340RWHP LS1 in it and it weighs 2600 pounds. It is fast too but not scary to me. I have scared several people when giving them rides though.

I have read all about all the engine swaps and what not, ka/sr/fj/vg and of course the L and A series. What I want to know is for reliability and longevity which of all these motors would be the best?

Do you really even need to ask?

521510320.JPG

it is,, and always will be..... the best Nissan engine of all time ............ of all time

• Like 1

I have read all about all the engine swaps and what not, ka/sr/fj/vg and of course the L and A series. What I want to know is for reliability and longevity which of all these motors would be the best. My way of thinking tells me the vg,more displacement less hop up parts? I know you can turbo a motor and get lots more power but wont that shorten the life,I never hear of a 300hp 4 cylinder going 100,000 miles just curious and I am interested because my next 510 will need a reliable engine. Never had my vg-30 on the dyno but I figure close to 200hp very few aftermarket parts is a ka reliable at 200hp?

i guess you havent ever heard of a suby sti, turbo boxer 4 banger all day long!

id guess im < ~140rwhp w/the LZ, not sure that more HP would allow me to perform any better than what i built it for. :)

...you should be safe as long as you know how to drive. Without those common sense modifications

when you think of all the people out there w/o any, it gets scary fast!!! :blink:

i guess you havent ever heard of a suby sti, turbo boxer 4 banger all day long!

:rolleyes: obvious you didnt read the title.

Kmc do you want turbo or na ? When I build my next 4 door it will probably have a dual cam ka in it. But if I was going turbo daily I would go sr.

Dislexic: I am interested to know what you think about the g54B's. I see you own a few conquests. Mine is built to displace just shy of 2.8 liters and I have eliminated balance shafts and components such as PS, AC etc. This will swap into the 620 eventually and I have started taking some measurements and it looks like the motor will fit but may be a bit tall due to the longer stroke. The tranny is the KM132 and has roughly the same size BH as the dogleg. What I don't have is an idea of weight so I can start planning the suspension and brake upgrades. Do you know approximately how much the G54B weighs as oppossed to an L18? Also, the motor is built to just shy of 250HP and as you know the torque numbers are spectacular for these engines (Stock is 105/140 as oppossed to the L18 @ 97/100). I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

My dime weighs 2200 with a full tank.

The first couple months of driving my 510 was alittle scarry coming from a hot l18 to a sr20det. Even now that I am getting use to it still can srprise you once and a while. Even thbe best drivers can screw up . and 150 plus horse power 510 is a little les fogiveing then a lower house power 510 . Wait let me refrase that a high torque high horse power 510 is less forgiving then a low torque 510 . I have no experiance with a na 2.6 all my g54b's are turbo all the na 2.6 I have driven in where not impressive .

how is your ne g54 putting out so much hp ? Hks's destroked 2.3 twin cam g54 b only made like 235 . Not knockibg your build just trying to understand. Even my 2.6 with a big 16g was only making. Around 250hp 300 torque . How high does your 2.8 rev? I was reving mine to 7.

The 510 weighs just under 2100 in stock condition. 150HP in a 2100 pound should not be scary but 300HP in a 2100 pound car might be. It all depends on how the suspension and brakes are set up and your driving ability. I have driven a 300+ HP 510 (Brian Osborn's KA24DET that was originally owned and built by Turbo Tom) That car was set up great and it was super fast but not scary.

I have a 240Z that has a 340RWHP LS1 in it and it weighs 2600 pounds. It is fast too but not scary to me. I have scared several people when giving them rides though.

It's not scarry after you drive it a few times! At least that's how it was for me .

Driving my dime the first time and really getting on it was a verry exciting and scarry time !

The Nissan 3 liter V6 is probably the most reliable and sturdy engine Nissan ever fielded in all its variations. That said, the racing Aeromotive V6 uses stock Nissan inners with their proprietary cast aluminum block in race applications, plus some exported to Japan for probably illicit installation. With out the NASCAR imposed throttle plates it puts out 1000 SAE Horsepower per Car and Driver. With the race plates, it still makes 750 HP. Enough to fry any stock brakes?

i have an altima with ka24de. puts out 150 stock, and the car weighs 2800. ive put on a coil and cold air. it gets 37+mpg all the time. it is actually quite qiuck, even with the auto tranny. mike i like your quote, thats going in my sig once i figure out how. id go ka, after driving one its got torque that is hard to match and it has easy rwd transmissions that are durable.

well im not to sure what the best engine is but i have a ka24de in mine and dont think id do it again. i just feel like i could break it everytime i drive it...im sure i could if i wanted it broke down....ya it gave me power, torqe, but less than 2 months my tranny grindes in 2ed and 3ed, motor started making the timimg chain noise....and it nevers seems to rum the same.....but what do i know

well im not to sure what the best engine is but i have a ka24de in mine and dont think id do it again. i just feel like i could break it everytime i drive it...im sure i could if i wanted it broke down....ya it gave me power, torqe, but less than 2 months my tranny grindes in 2ed and 3ed, motor started making the timimg chain noise....and it nevers seems to rum the same.....but what do i know

Mine rums like that too.... ..

I just hold back from breaking stuff ............ but it still breaks down every couple weeks....... :rolleyes:

Well I figured this thread would get a lot of response,and good ones too. Someone mentioned fuel economy in the 4 cylinders my vg gets mid twenties per gallon which I think is pretty good how do the Ka,s and Sr,s do?

Don't forget your swap is new not your engine . Most timing chain engines need a new timing chain around 100,000 miles