kevins 70 510

510kevin

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess to sum it up, Kevin had 1 wire wrong, and another with bad connection?....also the tube for the TPS needed to be moved before the Mass air flow sensor...;)

Phil just started over, double checking the wiring.......:D

The fuse box mod was for headlights only....only mental pictures.:P

yeah, i believe i had an issue with the key pwr wire. i was losing power while cranking.

and after looking at my can/am box the wiring diagram makes sense. i just wasnt putting it together for some reason.

and yeah, the iacv hose was plugged in before the maf, but i believe that would only cause an idle problem.

He had no switched wire, wrong black/ yellow wire for start signal, ecu bup needed the red wire from harness but he got confused the way the diagram reads. Looks like it could say use a 12v power. Another one that can get confusing is the ground wire. On the diagram people could use the coil wire when really it's the switched power and ground means ground. Lol. Headlights kevin did a great job just needed a power wire from the fuse box. Converted the fuse box to later model one. The alternator is the one killing me. Alternator has ground. Has the main harness wire hooked up. Sense wire to 12v and the smaller one to the white with red from the alt light. No charge. WTF! Maybe the belt was slipping? If the alt checked out

He had no switched wire, wrong black/ yellow wire for start signal, ecu bup needed the red wire from harness but he got confused the way the diagram reads. Looks like it could say use a 12v power. Another one that can get confusing is the ground wire. On the diagram people could use the coil wire when really it's the switched power and ground means ground. Lol. Headlights kevin did a great job just needed a power wire from the fuse box. Converted the fuse box to later model one. The alternator is the one killing me. Alternator has ground. Has the main harness wire hooked up. Sense wire to 12v and the smaller one to the white with red from the alt light. No charge. WTF! Maybe the belt was slipping? If the alt checked out

well phil, alt tested good, i cleaned the pulleys and added a new belt and still have no charge. <_<

So this is still not 100 percent?

Alternator NOT charging?

I had this recently on my 521. Had a high resisitance in the dash(popping the fuse). I reseat the plug in the back of instrument panel. started chargeing after that. But thats afer I swapped 2 alternators in there and took one to NAPA to have it ck out good.

So I assume it didnt have its 12volts to excite the alternator.

Your case maybe if old volt reg to new Internal type needs jumper or the T connector getting the 12volts?

Hainz it could be. Alt light wasn't on. Should have been.

ill look into that...

on another note, got it running the best i could, vac leaks plugged, still doesnt run real good though. hesitates pretty hard everytime you get on it. gotta keep messing with it i guess.... :unsure:

well, as hainz always says "get a cheap voltage reader that plugs in cigarette lighter"

bought one at walmart for $11. plugged it in, started car, and sure as shit, 13.5volts!!!!!

now if i could get it running right. everything else is pretty much done. gonna throw a timing light on it tomorrow and go from there.

alt light still should come on but 13.5v should be fine. would think a little more but I guess it will do. load it up with lights and heater and ou can see it load down ,rev it up should give a little more output.

ON my 521 the alt lite was out also evrytime it popped the fuse. No charging. But alt was good.so it must have done a loop in dash and came back out.

But maybe your fine

How your detect that you wasnt charging earlier? Volt meter across Battery? mabe the batt cable end is bad/batt connectio. I seen where it can loose a couple volts

well, i checked the timing. setit to 20btdc with the tps and iacv unplugged. still idles high, still bogs like a motherfucker.

anyone have any ideas? seriously. ive read just about every 240sx forum posting and tried just about everything :(

• 3 weeks later...

got some satin black sealer sprayed on her. not the greatest job, was cold in my shop. im gonna roll it for now, was better than the haggard gray primer.

i also ordered new gages. speedhut gps speedo, speedhut programmable fuel gage, autometer tach, water temp and oil pressure gages. ordered a set of takata racing harnesses, and a mk1 deep duckbill lip.

brand new windshield and seal are getting installed next thursday.

ive put over 1000 miles on it since the ka swap with only minor issues that were my own fault and very easily fixed.

ps its pretty quick :)

IMAG0021.jpg

The car is looking killer man! Im looking forward to seeing how you set up your gauges. Thats something I haven't put a lot of thought into. Did you get a tack to put in your stock cluster to replace the idiot lights? Or are you gonna mount that elsewhere?

for the gauges, i ordered some that would be pretty close to the factory size. i didnt want to chop up my dash or try to fab something up that would look acceptable. i should have pics up in a few......