kevins 70 510

510kevin

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

god damn im tired of sanding and painting.

220ed the whole car, white primer, then white sealer. left the window frames, hood and cowl black.

shot some black primer on the rear bumper, taillight rings, grille and headlight rings and pillar vents(chrome was toast)

i love it. always loved white dimes.

enjoy

IMAG0054.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

Thanks guys. I think it looks way better. I've always had a thing for white cars.

And yes, I have the gauges and have figured out a way to mount them in the factory dash. I get my windshield put in tomorrow. I'll have pics up of my gauges this weekend

Just noticed.. but why run the regular plates if not personalized . it`s so much cheaper to run the collector plates and with my memory easier to not forget if tagged or not..

And the white looks really nice . kinda racy too with black accents

• 5 weeks later...

lookin good buddy, I need to do something to mine this spring......change teh color or something

holy crap stranger. havent seen you in awhile!!!

some updates:

got some zx wheels, polished and painted them, mounted up my snow tires.

traded my rewinds to phil for his badass personal steering wheel and a rear disc setup. :)

daily driving right now, saving for parts to revamp whole car in spring.

IMAG0094.jpg

plans are:

lsd and hopefully cv's

new/rebuilt tranny(mines fucked, but should survive winter)

slotted/drilled rotors all the way around and hawk pads(already ordered)

finish my dash

paint

and some new rims/rubber

thinkin about a red pearl paint, almost copper. i think if i did a red base, gold pearl and flake then clear, would look bitchin..

What did you do to polish the wheels? I cant get that much shine out of my wheels yet...

was actually pretty easy, they still had the factory clearcoat on them, so i used aircraft stripper on them.

once the clearcoat was all off, i polished them out with some mothers billet polish :)

they turned out niiiice!

took me about an hour per wheel: strip, polish and paint..

IMAG0087.jpg

Yes, My wheels were Painted flat black when I got them. When I stripped them the original gold in the inserts came off.

This was the process of my wheels. The gloss was changed to Satin...

SNC16190.JPG

Then I tried some more polishing, took it to 1000grit on the lip, then 0000 steel wool.

SNC11172.JPG

SNC11174.JPG

pics of the vw deep duckbill lip. ptown green just asked me about it, so i thought id ad it in.

my valance was mangled when i bought my car. after a shitload of bodywork, the valance looks good, but im not real sure it is the same shape as a "normal" 510 valance. therefore, i cant really guarantee it will fit the same on other 510's

what i did: measure to find the center of the valance. mocked the duckbill in place to check fit and look. drilled center hole. bolted the duckbill to the valance using the center hole.

this is where it may vary for others. there was a gap on each end between the duckbill and valance. maybe 1/2".

i lightly massaged the valance to where it was as close to the duckbill. i then drilled the outer holes through the valance, installed 1/4" stainless bolts/washers and nuts. tightened the whole mess down.

it fits good, looks great and was pennies compared to even the cheapest bre spook.

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

Awesome looks great! I'm going to give it another shot and do what you did. I have no idea where my valance is supposed to me either. My car had some front end damage to begin with. Thanks for taking some pics!

no problem austin, hope it works out for you, it looks pretty sick on my car :D