Fisch is tempted by Yota

I am slapping myself saying, 'NO'. But am so tempted by this vintage piece of J-tin!

The conversation goes like this,

"Ooooo a freakin sorta local 1968 Corona 1900 2-door COUPE! Must have!!"

"Dude, the LAST thing you need is another project!"

"But me WANT! AND he says the engine has been rebuilt! And did I mention it is the COUPE!!"

"But he also says the brakes were damaged freeing up the wheels cause the pads were rusted to the drum."

"But rock auto has everything for the brakes. Pads are under $10 and even the M/C is under $30. Heck almost anything for this car is under $30 Often way under. And Dude, COUPE!"

"As you know $30+$30+$30.... it ads up bro. And what about the rust?"

"Rust? Man did you see that driver floor? Looks pretty pristine. Plus all the glass and lights are there, no major dents. Look at the poor thing I just want to wash it and buff it! It'll be like one of Icehouse's field dattos! And it is a white car so the rust looks worse than it is! The guy even says it is almost all surface rust. Fill a few pin holes on the rockers, grab some rustoleum white enamel and a roller and wet sand those spots back to life! AND dude.... COUPE!!!"

"The wife would kill you. You'd have to sell your daily driver '89 Suzuki Swift GTi, which is a rad freakin car!!"

"Aww she'd forgive me once she drove it to a car show and got all the looks! And I'd prolly sell the Swift for it. I love that little HotHatch but it is FWD and I love what it does, but love the look of Vintage J-tin more. COOOOOOOOOUUUUUUPPPPPEE!!!"

"IDK man the Swift is a little ripper, this will be a snail by comparison."

"But MAN, the coupe isn't so pretty I'd worry about keeping it stock, I can rat the hell out of it, and who knows what Yota mill would drop under that hood later. (See how it is a forward opening hood? Isn't that cool?) Currently though this is a runner with a rebuilt engine, just gotta straighten out the brakes. ............and COUPE!"

Dude... I don't know about this. Wouldn't you rather work on the '59?"

"That is a good point. But, did I mention how nice that interior should clean up? Door panels look great and the back seat looks barely used, a couple small splits on the front seat, but no big deal! And if I sold the swift I'd prolly have enough cash left over to fix the brakes on this coup and put a bit into the '59! COUPE!"

And this is where I am at with the internal discussion... what do you guys think? Sure not a Datsun, but style wise I have loved this design for a while, and a 2 door coupe, and to find an 'as affordable' (1k) Datsun 1200 or 510 in this area in this shapeis next to impossible. But the reality is, if I get another it would have to replace a Daily so it would have to be pretty close to getting on the road. Pics...

1.jpg

5.jpg

100_0302.jpg

100_0301.jpg

100_0297.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol that like me every day when im looking at CL, its deff a cool find. your really dont see them around. I love old yotas, and that thing has some real style. Me if i had the cash id go for it. if it really is a complet car, and your not missing anything big then hell yeah. id be willing to bet fenders, glass and stuff like that would not be easy to find for that little thing.

if you do get it over with and on the road, i want to see that 59 get finished some day

If you love Datsuns, it's hard not to be tempted by an old toyota every now and then! I ended up with one, and it's taken the top spot in my domain. I wanted a bigger car, that my whole family would fit in{plus my tall ass} and the Nissan President was never imported, so Toyota Crown it is! The Corona coupe is awesome, get it!

how much time do you get to spend on what you have now.....so how much time will you have if you add one more...that said it would be a sweet project car

Right now, pretty much zero time Fastdadd. There's been no progress on the '59 and I've driven the 521 once this year. But I am buried with freelance art which ebs and flows. After OCT I don't have much of anything on the plate. So there could be time to tinker. Plus I never really drive the Swift during winter unless I have no choice, and I work at home so rarely even need a daily, so being out a car for a few months this winter isn't a huge deal.

I think I tease myself that I could get this back on the road with a couple hundred bucks in brake parts and a weekend or two since it is a rebuilt runner. Fiberglass a couple holes and rock it since I don't care how pristine this one is. Replacing the daily Swift just like that. But things usually always snowball, and are worse than you think.

If it were a JDM RHD DOHC Corona, I wouldn't even be debating cause it would be here. Still this is a rare bit of Yota, especially the coupe and a design I love and super rare to find one in this shape in the NE. And I think I have come to terms that I want something more classic than the '89 Swift GTI for daily use.

But I just had to take the Swift to the shop for some exhaust work, and I imagine that may drain the wallet a bit.

I've asked it there is a title, if there isn't the decision will be made for me because no title is a real pain in MA.

If you love Datsuns, it's hard not to be tempted by an old toyota every now and then! I ended up with one, and it's taken the top spot in my domain. I wanted a bigger car, that my whole family would fit in{plus my tall ass} and the Nissan President was never imported, so Toyota Crown it is! The Corona coupe is awesome, get it!

Charlie you are a big part of my inspiration for this mad thought. I spent some time on your JNC thread just yesterday. Your Crown turned out so sweet! And if I could get this for the price you did... well now, that would be amazing. I've been surfing for Crowns and Coronas. It is rare that something like this would be only 15 min from me. There is a '66 4 door about 3 hr from me but is missing parts, grill, bumpers, and is a 4-door and is twice the price.

And after seeing what Icehouse and crew get when they wash a field datto up, get the moss off of them... You know this would look 100% better in an afternoon! Hell I almost just want to go wash it for the guy!

That yota needs a little bit of a "magic" touch!

To much work for me... Plus then you would have 3 unfinished cars? I would like to own one. But damn... I feel bad neglecting other projects...

Yeah I think you are echoing my thoughts Adam. I feel like crap that the '59 and 521 aren't getting any love right now. Sometimes I just gotta type these things down, and get it out of my head so I can look at it realistically.

If this were a daily-ready classic, I'd probably bite. I need something that is ready to go. Another classic will pop up, (Though usually years apart around here.) and it'll be a daily and will be owned by a granny who only wants $500 for it cause she wants it to go to a good home. It can happen!

The "magic' plate is funny as hell right! Or maybe it is a sign since I illustrated so much for the 'Magic- The Gathering' card game. It is calling me and will come together like MAGIC!!