Fisch is tempted by Yota

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy rusty rockers magic man, that shits dope. (cept the rust) Get it, wash it, slam it, drive it as is...

That is totally what I'd do. Some 'go fast' stickers. Some hand done art and pinstriping, and just rock it. Though I'd have to fix any rust hole that looks like it might get into the cabin, including rockers, or the State will fail me on inspection. I don't want to asphyxiate myself anyway.

I read somewhere that it might have a torsion bar front end? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that. If so and if it is like Datsun trucks, it couldn't be easier to get that bastard down in front, right? Solid rear axle with leaf springs, so blocks and pull a leaf. Blocks alone might do it. Heck it isn't like it weighs much or has to carry a big load like a truck!

And because it is a ratter I could do the rat rod thing and patch it with street signs and stuff. (Wouldn't japanese streetsigns be the way to go!)

Course I was also eying this badboy... Yota Crown baby! Dig those wheels! In OH if anyone is interested. I think I am a smaller size car guy.

PICT0063.jpg

crownytown.jpg

Link to the JNC listing.

CROWN on JNC

Fisch that IS a kool oldschool ride. The only part that would scare me off is the rusted rockers & the state inspection youll have to pass. How about back reg. fees? How does that work in your neck of the woods ?

No such thing as Back reg fees here Pac! Though now that I think about it, I've never bought a car in this state. They've either come from NH, NY or NM. But I only really hear about that in Cali!

I wish I had you here to take care of those rockers if I got it! But the Corona came with these chrome strips that run down the rocker and could help hide things if a mess it up!

Rockerrunner.jpg

Dear Fisch,

I know it's been a while since we last talked. I hope this message doesn't seem to forward of me, given the fact that I really hardly know you. I am hoping that through this conversation and many more just like it in the future, we can get to know each other a little bit. In my heart I know that you know what needs to be done in this situation. I am very aware of the pressures placed on a family man, a father, a husband, an artist, a business owner and a friend in todays miserable economy. Given your heart for service to others, your long track record of helping, supporting and assisting...not only on this thread, but also in real life...I would just like to suggest that you take a deep breath, imagine your family sitting on a blanket having a picnic together. Feel the cool breeze calming you as you look across the swaying prarie grass from your vantage point in the shade of a mighty, ancient oak. Picture your family all smiling. Then imagine that they all start to realize that you don't own this cool car...The awareness that you...personally... let this one get away begins to sink in to their collective awareness and as the results of this awareness settle on them, they all start chanting...quietly at first, then louder...and as their volume increases Fisch...so does your heart rate, ever climbing with the sound of the word they are repeating...

"Duchebag"..."DUCHEBAG"...."DUCHEBAG!!!!!!!"

Then they run after you with sporks...cause thats all that you packed for the picnic.

Don't be a duche :P

NOW GO BUY THE TOYOTA!!!!

Really though....I missed a 1969 Corona myself...it was a very cool car...had to see it the next week at the JY. I got the marker lights :rolleyes:

Wash it, put some of your art all up on it :cool: and drive that suckah! What are you going to do....find another one?

I was also very close to buying one of these several years ago.

DOHC Corona

You must know about the 1600GT. I'd look at it this way: this is about as close to owning a famous Toyota sports car as an average American can get. (Bonus: it's not automatic, and it's white.) And I think it's your style, Fisch.

I would get it ,you could ALWAYS use it as trading stock.And there was an article in a road and track type mag once that asked this rich famous actor,why with all your money would you drive an old triumph that had left him on the side of the road more than once? and he said "I like to drive cars that need me as much as I need them"

Dear Fisch,

I know it's been a while since we last talked. I hope this message doesn't seem to forward of me, given the fact that I really hardly know you. I am hoping that through this conversation and many more just like it in the future, we can get to know each other a little bit. In my heart I know that you know what needs to be done in this situation. I am very aware of the pressures placed on a family man, a father, a husband, an artist, a business owner and a friend in todays miserable economy. Given your heart for service to others, your long track record of helping, supporting and assisting...not only on this thread, but also in real life...I would just like to suggest that you take a deep breath, imagine your family sitting on a blanket having a picnic together. Feel the cool breeze calming you as you look across the swaying prarie grass from your vantage point in the shade of a mighty, ancient oak. Picture your family all smiling. Then imagine that they all start to realize that you don't own this cool car...The awareness that you...personally... let this one get away begins to sink in to their collective awareness and as the results of this awareness settle on them, they all start chanting...quietly at first, then louder...and as their volume increases Fisch...so does your heart rate, ever climbing with the sound of the word they are repeating...

"Duchebag"..."DUCHEBAG"...."DUCHEBAG!!!!!!!"

Then they run after you with sporks...cause thats all that you packed for the picnic.

Don't be a duche :P

NOW GO BUY THE TOYOTA!!!!

Really though....I missed a 1969 Corona myself...it was a very cool car...had to see it the next week at the JY. I got the marker lights :rolleyes:

Wash it, put some of your art all up on it :cool: and drive that suckah! What are you going to do....find another one?

*sniff* you had me at spork.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn this car is really sexy. I think it is the one I am most obsessed about right now, even more than 510s and 1200s at the moment. I keep searching CL for one that is already a daily. Then I found a dude on JNC who has the rare as hell 9r corona DOHC 1600 that was in the legendary Corona GT1600 in Japan!!! ($$$$ but understandable) It is like a built crate engine or something. Then on JNC there was another thread about a somewhat local 'private' junkyard that has a TOTALLY rare LHD Corona 'S' rotting into the ground. Which has the dash from a Corona 1600GT, but LHD (and should have a dual carb sohc mill under the hood rather than the 9r). It even says TOYOPET rather that TOYOTA and is rocking the fender mirrors. (A service man brought it back from Japan.) But I've read the yard is owned by a pretty eccentric dude, I think I'd need cash (and beer) in hand to make a deal.

If I found a nice coupe body I could make a 1600gt clone that was LHD. I'd need to track down the GT1600 badges in Japan and the 'side vents' on the front fender. But hell, just the Corona S badges are interesting enough. But I'd be into this thing prolly like 10K easy when all was said and done! And by that point I wonder how much more it would cost to import a real gt1600 from Japan?

First I need to find a streetable Corona coupe (Gotta replace the daily.), then I can work toward everything else. The one I started this thread with is no longer listed, so I assume sold, and the owner said basically it was a parts car more than anything.

Toyota9R11WS.jpg

Toyota9R13WS.jpg

21o3r0i.jpg

2rc260w.jpg

roooooaaaaddsster you know you want one. :cool: If you've even considered owning one now is the time to be buying one :lol:

Though if you do get one of these older toyotas I've got some Works Equip 01's that would look badass on one. Cant fit them on my roadster cause they are 13" these are the old school one piece not the multi-pieced newer ones.

I think it's fun to think about making a 1600GT, because any old Toyota twin cam sorta makes sense:

18RG: R motor, check! Generally looks like a 9R

2T-G: 1600, check! Says 1600 on it, and also looks the part

4A-G: 1600, check! Sold in the US!

or that 9R, yeah right, but there you go!

Man the temptations keep coming. This one is killing me. Somewhat local. 38k on the odometer. Still has the plastic on the freakin doors! And affordable for sure. The thing holding me back is that it is a sedan and I REEEEAAAALLLLY want a 2-door coupe. (Plus it is Automatic and I'd want the 4-speed, that can be fixed though.)

I know there are pics in this thread of bitchin looking 4-door coronas. But when I look at the 4 door, unmodified, I think, 'grandmas volvo'. But finding a 38k mi original coupe around here will not be easy. Especially the 'affordable' part. So tempted by this. The owner says it needs nothing except a little rocker work. But I've seen far worse based on these photos. Hell the interior looks mint!

My wife says there will always be another. So she either wants me to hold out for the coupe I really want, or she is hoping I will stay undecided and not bring home another car at all for a long while!!! (Cause, when am I going to find a coupe like this in New England. Plus she likes the Suzuki Swift Gti just fine.)

NHsedan.jpg

007_19.jpg

009_17.jpg

010_16.jpg

020_6.jpg

I say if you are willing to sell the Suzie then get this. A 4 door will be easier to take your daughter in. It is still way cool when dropped low and it is a driver. But you will need to be willing to put up with what is going to happen to it as a driver, especially in the winter weather. It helps you that your commute is just a walk downstairs. :D