i keep killing batteries.....

so i replaced my alternator(in my 510) with a old one my neighbor gave to me....... he said he wasnt sure if it worked or not, but it seemed fine for a long time......... a little while ago i rolled my dime and thought it was only body and suspension damage, but im not sure if this is from the wreck or bad alternator, but after a while of driving, my batteries keep bulging up and leaking fluids....... im down to my third battery, but the weird thing is, the batteries still have full charge!!!!! but the are sizzling and leaking........ someone know what this might be? its getting bad.......

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to thread jack, but I have a similar problem. Ive replaced the volt regulater(should have got from rock auto) and have 12.5 volts not running, 14.1 running, and my battery still boils.

Think my battery is bad.

If you do get a regulator, get it from rock auto.

jeff

Check fluid level iin battery, Top up with distilled water.

You guys have it easy today. Buy a battery and forget about it for 4-5 years. Batteries have come a long way from the ones I grew up with. Had to check them once a week and top up at least every 2-3 weeks.

Speaking of batteries. I was getting ready to leave work yesterday and my truck wouldn't fire up. Engine wouldn't crank and my lights wouldn't even turn on. Called the old lady to give me a jump start and when I got home my battery is putting out 10.2 volts!

Time for one of those gel type batteries. Screw all that corosion crap!

Speaking of batteries. I was getting ready to leave work yesterday and my truck wouldn't fire up. Engine wouldn't crank and my lights wouldn't even turn on. Called the old lady to give me a jump start and when I got home my battery is putting out 10.2 volts!

Did you check with the engine running? Alt output okay?
  • 2 weeks later...

volt meters are cheap soon as any weird things happen ck across the battery and see what the voltage is when running.

if under 12.5 volt i would be concerned. and if other stuff on like likes and such the voltage can go down more while your driving. probaply the alternator.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-an-Alternatorthey also have those cheap diode tester type that plugs in the cig lighter. they work also in case you dont want to run a standard gauge volt meter.

Your battery is shorted.A gel battery will do nothing other than empty your wallet.

volt meters are cheap soon as any weird things happen ck across the battery and see what the voltage is when running.

if under 12.5 volt i would be concerned. and if other stuff on like likes and such the voltage can go down more while your driving. probaply the alternator.

THe battery should be 12 or higher WITH OUT the car running.It should be btween 13.0 & 14.5 or so.

im having a similar issue with mine.. but with my car it doesent hold the charge on my batt? i can charge it and while driving it ill see the lights dim and then as soon as i turn it off i wont start no more

Chinese digital V meters under $10. Get one.

Engine running, test across the battery POSTS (not the cable ends) Should read 13.8 to 14.7 there abouts when running. If not NOW try the battery cable ends.... if correct voltage then the terminals are not making good contact with the battery posts... clean and tighten them.

Still not correct voltage? Could be the alt. isn't charging or voltage regulator no good.

Didn't you have the battery cables bolted to your starter? You be careful!!!;)