i keep killing batteries.....

alright, here's something thats really weird. recently bought an 80amp alternator for the hell of it. installed it less than a month ago, everything's great. one day it doesn't start, so I charge the battery and go buy a volt meter. After charging for a day and a half the battery reads 12.2 volts, turn on the headlights and it drops down to 11.8ish, everything's good so far. then I crank the car and its reading all over the place, from 9 to 12, no consistency. so I put a brick on the throttle to keep the revs high and it settles in at around 10.51

so looks like my alternator is crap, but I just got it, is there anything else that could cause this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

80amp alternator?????

I assume this is a Internal regulatedted type. as Nissan made the bigger amp alts later and they were IR type.

Now if your car has a EXTERNAL VOLT REG and you put a INTERNAL alternator on there it might just do this waht your saying.

So we dont know what you have as a set up just that you have said you replaced a Alternator.

yes some alternators suck!!!!!!!