The Mission's 1972 240z SR20DET Build

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The fan on there is pretty much the craziest you can run... it's nothing shabby.

Got the seats in today, plus the front grill on.

Started her up and she ran decently, I had to tighten up the line to the clutch slave cylinder and a coolant line, but it pulled out of the garage and moved on it's own, which is a first.

Once I get the new odyssey battery hooked up I'll take it to an exhaust shop and have the system fabbed up. (I'm waiting for the taylor master disconnect switch for the rear of the car in order to finish the battery wiring, plus the G-Force harnesses prior to driving it around)

Here's some nice pics -

Z180.jpg

Z181.jpg

Z182.jpg

Z183.jpg

Z184.jpg

Z185.jpg

LoL - I've decided on the steelies -

I walked through the meet this weekend and liked the rides. Now my wife wants a 510 like mad, so I've got another datsun project on the horizon, but much more simple for sure.

I've been building up my list again, so it's up to another 20 items plus to do. It never seems to get close to ending. I've ordered up the consult connector and software for the diagnostic ability and ECU connect, which will help insanely with tweaking things and later upgrades as well.

Here's a part of my current list, which never seems to get shorter. Not on it are the wheels/tires/coilovers and the modifications neccesary to make them all work. Ugh.

Fill Bumpers /Sand / Re-prime

Hand Sand Fender Flares / Prime

Wire Battery / Install Master Disconnect Switch in Rear

Wire Fan Controller Permanently

Wire Turn Signals/HB LED light indicators in console

Wire Consult Female Connector to ECU

Measure /Mark Location for Roll Bar Harness Bar Location at 20 degrees below harness holes

Remove Roll Bar

Get Harness Bar Added to Roll Bar (Fabshopz?)

Reinstall Roll Bar

Mount Harnesses

Paint Top Dash Plate/Install Plate

Test Mount Rear Bumper

Buy Shift Boot

Install Shift Boot

Plug in window switches

Secure Center Console

Install Carpet

Install Side Kick Panels

Install Shift Knob

Install Tach

Order Speedo / Install --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon Consult Plug Arrival -

Check Sensor Operation within specs

Check / Adjust Timing

Check Codes Install Front Valance/ Reinforce

Install and Wire Front Signals/Marker Lights

Install Hood / Hood Pins

Install Front Bumper

Install Exhaust

Finally going to get some tangible picture progress this weekend!

The Hood, FG Bumpers, FG Fender Flares, Front Xenon Valance, and Dash front plate are getting painted. Once they are done, I'll install some of them and it'll look more like a completed car... although still looking like a 4x4. The fender flares will wait for the suspension, wheels, and tires.

The Consult Cable is taking forever to get here, but when that arrives I'll set the timing on the engine and diagnose the idle issues I'm having and it's pulsating. Then I can take it to the exhaust shop and have them fab me up a cheap setup to keep my happy for a while.

I don't think the car will make Canby this year, as I still have too much money to spend to get it there in any reasonable fashion.

I don't think the car will make Canby this year, as I still have too much money to spend to get it there in any reasonable fashion.

Um, its only like 20 miles away, maybe 30. You could find a trailer, I believe in you.

Thanks for your faith!

I did get it all registered up today, insured, and new plates, so I'm good to go for running to the exhaust shop when I get it all put together again. I honestly have to wait until I receive the consult cable to run base timing mode on the engine and diagnose all the sensors to make sure their all operating within specs before moving it anywhere.

My new problem is my roll bar. It has no harness bar, so I was hoping to run the rear strut bar from PDK fabrication, cause it's welded and reinforced with support pieces, but... he's not making them anymore.

I'm now going to have to figure something out to mount the harnesses to that I like.

It'd be a miracle to get it to Canby and I need more money, but don't we all.

• 2 months later...

OK!

Finally made some small movement forward, but it's all limited by my very limited time with kid and awesome job...

I decided to have the autopower bar I had installed just modded and had a harness bar added to it. I'm running G-Force 5 Points. The driver's seat is good, but I still have to re-install the passenger seat as I had to take it out to remove the roll bar and left it out as I used the space to work with the laptop to get the Engine all set up. Timing is good, the ECU link software is working like a charm and everything looks peachy from a running engine standpoint. I have the Tach and Speedo ready to drop in, but just haven't had the time.

Hopefully this weekend the paint gets finished on the hood and front valance, but the flares and FG bumpers are done and good in black. I ordered the Diamond Racing Wheels in black in 15x10 all around, 4.5 bs and will run stretched Kumho ASTs in 225/50/15 like the pic here, so stretched and good. CrazyOctopus on Hybridz inspired and set up this combo:

4785891700_f6e5b676dc.jpg

I'll run jacked up on stock shocks for a bit until I can either pick up the new mckenny megan coils or run with the ZCC adaptors with the megan coils - just depends on how much I can get them for at the time.

Soon Enough...

Wheels are currently being made my Diamond Racing Wheels... (They said 3 weeks about a week ago)

Tires arrive on the 27th

I picked up the new bolts to get the rear and front bumpers on, got the passenger seat back in and got the rear vinyl and most of the carpet stuff inside the car glued down now.

I took out the c-pillar windows as I attempted to have the chrome painted and it failed horribly, so I have to remove them and the door window trim to get them powder coated to be more resilient and be black.

The car will be blue with black bumpers, wheels, flares, fender mirrors, trim, hood, and front valance.... should be a good contrast look. I'm also having all the windows tinted all around to complete the look.

Next week I'll get the rear bumper on and secure, get the passenger harness in and mounted and hopefully get the speedo and tach (Just electronic 5'' autometer sport comp) in and mounted as well.

The hood and front Valance were finished today, so I'll have to get them from my painter friend and on the car soon. Then I'll get them and the front bumper on! (I'll take pics then)

The wheels and tires will go on, but It'll look awful until I get the coils installed.

It's nice to get some momentum again. Just really pricey to finish these few last things.

I'm getting here late on this awesome build, but have a few suggestions/comments/questions.

I don't see a blow off valve in there anywhere. It's not just for cool sounds. Shoving boosted air back into the compressor is very bad. Also, depending on your air metering system, you might need to recirculate the air for proper air flow readings.

Did you wire in any of the original wiring to your new fuse panel? I'm working on using a stock panel from another vehicle I'm trying to incorporate into the stock harness and would like some ideas to look at.

I'm also saddened that you didn't go with the Rotas. They might be a little played out and over used on classic Japanese cars, but they look so great. You wheel choice is nice, but I like the Rotas more. Otherwise, this looks great! Keep up the progress and keep us posted. i'll start following this thread more in the future.

Here's a shot of the BOV, as it's hard to see in other pics. I have it recirculating right now... When I go standalone, I change to MAP and run it open... I just don't want issues with running MAF initially.

Z157.jpg

I liked the Rotas as well, but they are really getting popular on Hybridz and I really like the look of CrazyOctopus's ride and stance, so went that direction and tried something different.

BTW Jeff - ALL the wiring, (Minus the SR Engine Loom) is new.... It's a ez-wire 21 circuit all black wiring kit, with labels every 6 inches on the wires. I also pretty much rewired the engine loom as well to remove a ton of the unneeded stuff, which seemed to go well, as it runs and everything checks out with the ECUlink software I'm running. The old wiring was just nasty and I would have had to rewire the whole dash and get wires to the rear for the fuel pump and such, so might as well just do the whole thing.

I also moved the battery to below the rear panel and next to the fuel cell in the back, running both ground and positive up to the front.

Here's some fun wiring pics of the whole setup

Z131.jpg

Z138.jpg

Z137.jpg

Z136.jpg

Z134.jpg

Z133.jpg

Z128.jpg

Did a bit more this weekend, but still waiting on stuff.

The Speedo and Tach are in and mounted. I just ended up epoxy-ing the mounting rings in and using sealmaker to fill in the gaps... worked great!

The Tach didn't work at all, so I had to research and found that the sr20det ECU Tach Wire won't drive the autometer tach, so I have to buy a resistor and stepup the ecu wire with a 12v lead to get it working - Praise Google.

I took out the side windows, troubleshot my driver's window regulator problem, which was just lube and adjustment and now have to strip the window frames to get them set for powdercoated, which I hope will make them resilient enough.

The Hood is painted, but sitting at my friends house and the front xenon valance and hood hinges are primered and ready for paint, so I hope this next weekend I'll get some awesome progress there. Maybe even the window frames will be able to be coated.

I'll be happy then, as I can hopefully get it to have an exhaust placed on and I can DRIVE it.

The wheels are still a week off before estimated completing, so it's shipping after that and I'll do the flares when I can get the wheels and tires on the car.

With all that done and a few little things left to troubleshoot, some may see me around at Sonic or PIR for kicks. I can't afford more of the higher end suspension and drivetrain mods yet, so I won't be doing anything really fun with it yet, but hopefully by next summer I'll be on coils, with some STI r180 LSD love in the back to play with, as well as some T3 Arms and such and then I can run around a bit more agressively.