The Mission's 1972 240z SR20DET Build

Send me a PM if you think it is... I'm curious as to it's history. I bought if for cheap off a kid named Joe in Boring, OR. It was in Bad Shape, but no roof holes, and I took it down to metal on 80% of the car.

I stripped the window frames today and with the door handles, they are going to the powdercoater to get a more resilient paint job on them.

This weekend I should be installing the hood and front valance, so I look forward to some pics of a more "Carlike" look, with the front on.

I'm hoping to get to the exhaust shop in a couple weeks, but it's still up in the air on other possible issues that come up when I go to drive the thing around a bit.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, still waiting for the stupid front Valance, but made more progress. I got the hood on, front bumper brackets set up, fender mirrors mounted.

I need to make some brackets for my hood pins, as I'm cutting off the stock hood latch due to clearance issues with the SR20DET. It doesn't latch down currently, so that's why it's popped up a bit in the pics.

Diamond Racing should send my wheels this week, and then I think I'll mount the ZG flares.

Here's some basic pics of the hood on and mirrors.

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

Big Day Today -

Hooked up the TACH and felt inspired, so I drove it.

I decided that I'd have to make sure it'd be able to make it to the exhaust shop, so I let it warm up in the driveway, checked all the pressures and temps and took it for a spin around the block a few times and surprise, it didn't blow up or anything.

It is insanely loud, as it only currently has the turbo elbow on it, but the turbo sure sounds nifty that way.

I'm planning to take some days off of work in a week and a half to take it to the exhaust shop and play with the last few details, but I'm really close to having it at least road-worthy, and with suspension, pride worthy, as I won't be happy with how it looks until I can drop it a few inches. It'll be about 2.5 years start to "finish" on it.

I won't be really finished for years, as I still want TTT arms on the front and back, The subaru LSD diff, and will definately up the turbo, ecu, injectors, and maf to run 300-350. But despite doing all those myself, they all cost crazy money.

This week I'm working on the car as much as I can in preparation for taking it for wheels and exhaust next week.

I have the hood pins all mounted on fabbed up, but will need to remove the mounts in the engine bay to paint them, as they are just aluminum now.

I mounted a wink 5 panel mirror in the cabin for good visibility and got my remote lock/unluck system all working nifty as well.

Tomorrow I'll install the remote battery terminals in the rear and get them all good to go. Then I'll get the newly powdercoated window frames back in and door handles on and working.

The front valance is now waiting to go on, but I think I'll do that this weekend as I want to reinforce it before slapping it on and maybe will add a DIY splitter to it for that purpose and for kicks.

I have the ZCC tubes for the Coilover conversion and just need to get some coils and I can get that all welded up.

The wheels come friday from Diamond Racing and everything else on my list is falling together to have it at least driving around next week toward the end of the week.

Bit by Bit... I'm really trying to get it operational this month.

I have some updates from Today's work.

I have the door handles and door window frames in now. The rear terminals are on and good.

Also got the dovetails on the doors and the side window's framed up. I couldn't get them in without help pushing from the outside. I fitted the front valance, but it's only clamped on really.

Here's pics of what it looks like now... which is more "carlike" The front bumper will go on when I get the valance figured out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yeah, it's taken a while!

Today I got the front Valance and Bumper mounted on securely, but skipped the splitter idea for now. I got a JDM license plate bracket on there for the front plate.

I also got the tires mounted on the wheels and man those things are stretched. They look great, but golly.

Way too heavy though... CrazyOctopus said they were, but man, there are more than I thought.

The prosport Gauges were too dim in red mode during the day, so I changed them to white to be able to see them better. I also had to reconfigure the fuel gauge for my tank size.

We got the door seals on and I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND not using the crap that Black Dragon sends with their kits. I used the 3M super weatherstrip adhesive and that stuff is amazingly great. 10x better than the crap that came with the kit. I ended up redoing pretty much every seal because of the low quality of the included adhesive.

The door handles are on and now work with keyless entry locks and power windows, which makes me very happy, as they were so much work to wire in and troubleshoot to get to work properly.

Tomorrow is bleeding the brakes again to ensure they are good to go, getting the hood pin scuff plates mounted up then a few laps around the block and filling up the tank to get ready to hit the exhaust shop on Tues or Weds.

The 31st the coilovers come in, then I have to try to find a good TIG welder in PDX to weld the camber plates in. I'm game for cutting up everything and welding the tubes, but the plates... heck no. The ZCC stuff is sitting in my tool box now waiting for the rest of the pieces.

Then I have my neighbor tint the windows up for me, as that's his profession, and I think the car will be pretty dang presentable.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

The Bad - I didn't get my rear Flares on yet... I ran out of time last night and now can't work on that aspect till I get the car running... which brings me to the ugly.

The Ugly - The nuts holding the turbo to the manifold all decided to back out and it ended up separating my turbo from the manifold by like an inch.... oops, my bad. I have locking plates being shipped today, which I should have used in the first place. When taking apart pieces of that section (which I'll finish tomorrow) I noticed oil on the air inlet/outlet side of the turbo, which aint good, so I'll look at that as well now that I have to take that whole side off and apart.

The Good though is that I got the exhaust on and it's nifty. Before my turbo snafu I was able to drive around a bit and that was plain fun. The coilovers are here and now I just need to get it back running to move forward on the other things.

Here's some nifty pics that show an almost completed car (Way, Way too high without the coilovers and missing the rear flares)

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Well, It's roadworthy and driving around a bit.

Before anyone comments, yes, it's as high as a monster truck and the coilovers are sitting in the garage to fix that, but I need to have the plates tig welded in, so they are going to have to wait a bit till I can arrange that setup. The inner door cards are needing a bit of modification as well, so I will install them later. Otherwise it's just tint and a few little things like front blinkers and I'll be good to go.

I took some pictures in an industrial park today just to show what she looks like now.

Enjoy-

DoneZDSCN2265-10.jpg

DoneZDSCN2263-09.jpg

DoneZDSCN2262-08.jpg

DoneZDSCN2256-06.jpg

DoneZDSCN2246-05.jpg

DoneZDSCN2240-04.jpg

DoneZDSCN2231-03.jpg

DoneZDSCN2223-02.jpg

DoneZDSCN2219-01.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well, I guess it's time to get back to work on her.

She's been sitting for the winter with pretty much nothing done to her. This weekend I decided to go out to take a look and get back into what I need for this year:

I have the Toyota 4x4 calipers and new rotors on the way for the front, cause my right rotor decided to seize up on me. I figured if I get a new caliper, might as well upgrade a little bit. I may convert the back to disc, but I'm in no rush right now.

I also need to order a new turbo, as my stock turbo that came with the swap has oil leaking into the hotpipe. So I'm planning to upgrade to the Disco Potato and keep boost at stock levels till I can upgrade engine management.

I'm halfway done with taking the suspension apart and then it's hacking up the parts to weld on the new tubes and new camber plates for the C/Os.

I need around 3K more in parts I estimate, so I may be able to get it up and sporting by the end of the summer and hopefully "finished" by the end of the year.

On my Need to Purchase List:

AEM Series II with MAP Conversion/Boost Control/Wideband

GT28rs Disco Potato

Side Feed Upgraded Injectors

Rear Lower Adjustable Control Arms

By the time meets start back up and events get going again with good weather, I should at least have the suspension setup and be back on the road with a new turbo... The ECU work and turning up boost/fuel will have to wait for funding or until I can find a cheap used series II to play with. Maybe with the infinity 10 coming out, someone will upgrade and want to get rid of their Series II setup.

For Now, Here's my nice storage setup - In a Pole Building/In a Costco Car Port/with a Car Cover/On wood floor I made...

IMAG0428.jpg

I love the look of the covers...

I'm halfway done with the C/O install. I need to still cut out the top plates and weld the tubes onto my suspension pieces, but I have the front and rear suspension all off, cut up, and ready to have the tubes welded on.

IMAG0440.jpg

Next week the calipers, rotors, turbo, and lines should be here, so I may be able to get it back on the road in the next month or two!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Got the Coilovers all on and installed. I have yet to adjust them, but it's already a bit lower and I'm liking the stance much better. The back I can only get maybe and inch more down, but I'll wait to see what it does when it all settles out and I drive it a bit.

photobucket-2154-1332038970327.jpg

photobucket-1925-1332038939766.jpg

Looks like I really need to dial the camber in the front back in a bit.

photobucket-3515-1332038853056.jpg

Got my engine all back together as well... Still looks pretty in there-

photobucket-2854-1332038868067.jpg

• Like 2

Here's another idea I'm playing with...

finishedbrakes.jpg

it was conceived through another Hybridz build and they fabricated it. That's their setup that I'm diggin'.

I'm looking into that option, but also am researching running the new megasquirt pnp v2 for the sr20det, so it depends on where the money goes. I'm hopefully out on the street and out of storage in a week or so, as she started right up today and I just need to bleed the brakes and test run a bit before going out of the neighborhood.

That setup was done by a user on hybridz to facilitate a hydraulic hand brake for drifting, or fun. It'd be possible to run dual in the standard system, but the rear bias would be crazy.

I just like the idea, as running a separate system removes the need for an inline setup like the modified cutting brake or the drift hand brakes on ebay run.

I've found a great handbrake to run with it here if I decide to go that way:

http://asdmotorsports.3dcartstores.com/ASD-Universal-Hydraulic-E-Brake-10-Pull-Back_p_10.html

Here's another idea I'm playing with...

finishedbrakes.jpg

it was conceived through another Hybridz build and they fabricated it. That's their setup that I'm diggin'.

This the setup im going to try to run but regular brakes with 86 maxima and hydro ebrake with s13 calipers. Nice to see this thing is going to be back on the road.