The Mission's 1972 240z SR20DET Build

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't picked up an intercooler for that reason, as I want to personally measure what space I have, and may go that direction.

I've researched the vildini motorsports Z's intensively, and will end up with their mount, but they have a few different setups for v-mounts/FMICs

Here's one FMIC, but the pipes look really long in the engine bay and don't "Look" right

24.JPG

This is one iteration of it, but looks too messy to me

7.JPG

Here's a FMIC in the bay, rather than the front, which shortens up the pipes... but still...

16.JPG

This is the best install of a v-mount in a Z I've seen, but the space looks very, very limited and I just don't know if I have it, especially as he is top mount and I'm bottom, but, I may give this a shot-

37.JPG

Well, this last week was a bust - My Lil' Dude got sick and makes it hard to get progress on the Car.

I'm very close to completing the major wiring systems - I've tested the tails/signals/brakes/wiper, but still need to wire up door locks and window motors completely. Everything else is pretty much set.

Here's products I've chosen for the fuel system -

Aeroquip Socketless Hose

FBV0400-black.jpg

Aeroquip 8AN (Tank to Fuel Pump/Return to tank) and 6AN (Tank to FPR/Engine/Return) fittings.... Pretty much everything listed above... but did get some decent price breaks over what I estimated.

fcm1512.jpg

Don't worry, I researched the heck out of this stuff and it's designed and has been used in EFI high pressure systems no problem. Rated to 250psi

Walbro 255lph inline + Kit

walbrogsl392.jpg

Fuelab AFPR

fuelab_51501-1.jpg

Fuelab Inline 10 micron Filter

fuelab_818_blk-blk.jpg

Generic Aftermarket Side Feed Fuel Rail (for Bling and allows easy -6an line connections)

20097315104219674.jpg

Engine is hopefully about 2 weeks out now and updates will come a blazing when I start tear down and rebuild of that baby!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, not too many updates as it's been wait, wait, wait on shipping for things, but I have most of the fuel system parts and all of the AN fittings, just missing Fuel Filter before I can go too hog wild plumbing everything. Tomorrow I finish most of the wiring and everything works, from the tails to signals to h/l relays and the infernal wiper motor running awesome on low and high, as I refreshed that sucker and cleaned the relay assembly and it works great.

I've got all new LED bulbs I'll try out in the stock tails, just to see what they look like, as they are cheap anyways and can't hurt, as I dislike the old bulbs.

Engine is on it's way from Kansas, should be here next week.

SR20DET S13, with everything.

New CAS

New Stage II Clutch

Vildini Mount

Custom Trans Mount

Modified and Refreshed U-joint Drive Shaft for the swap

Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC

Hooray!

• Like 1

LoL - Thanks... It's a ton of hard work. The wiring was incredibly time consuming and getting the turn signal assembly, headlights, and wiper motor working was just plain fun!

I'll be out all next week on vacation, but can't wait to get to work on the engine... It'll be all cleaned up and initially only basically modified, I'll run 300whp in the long run, but costs just plain add up like crazy and I don't want to spend the 2k on upgraded parts (not retail of course) that will get me there right now. It's too plain easy to add that whp later, so I'll be patient and get used to 200 or so whp at first (with my more basic initial mods), then go from there.

I still have the bumpers, flares, seats, and wheels to buy... ugh.

It'll probably take me 2 months to get the engine where I want it to be ready to install, then I'll go back to body, getting all that finished up. I'd aim for next spring to really be having it out and about, but running and rolling later this summer.

I'd say I have 2-3k left to spend before it's done, and a ton of my own labor... In the end... ~8k probably invested, which won't be that bad for what it'll look like and way, way less that any of the other breakdowns I've seen on similiar resto-mod builds. After that, I can go around and play with getting more whp out of it... which is easy enough, just $$$$.

I have done this all on the cheap, as I've sourced a ton of CL parts, used only my own or friends/family labor on the project and called in favors from old car friends for help on more of the pricey newer items, as we all know how insane the markup is on some parts...

A year or so into it now... another year left.

• 1 month later...

That's the part that's still in progress... There are two aluminum lines ready to be mounted in the pics... The mounting is this week, then they will go back to Aeroquip hose again in the front... Everything is done in the back, but just need to mount those and then do the engine bay when the engine is in there to know where everything will end up perfect. I'll need a few fittings, but I have everything else to run the fuel system. Once the engine is in, it's then radiator/intercooler/ECU wiring, and it's good to at least test it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good progress was made this weekend... It fits wonderfully, with the mounts and driveshaft all set.

The radiator and intercooler are ordered and on their way, which gets it closer to actually being able to be running and tested out.

Here's some fun pictures -

Z145.jpg

Z147.jpg

Z152.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

WOW !!! Your really coming along Mr. The Mission , a very inspirational thread :cool:

Keep it up man , I am really lovin the Blue more and more I look at it ! :D

P.S ---> Will this car be able to haul gravity challenged people like myself ? :lol:

Thanks guys... I'm just doing it as I go... It's way more work than I ever dreamed of doing, but I'm really happy with how it's coming together.

I found a nice powder-coating connection today, so I'll definitely have the piping and such powder-coated black. and keep it all nice looking and protected.

I'm going to run the turboxs type h34 bov and run it recirc, so I don't have to worry about running super rich after throttle drop with an MAF setup like the sr20det... Now, it's fab, fab, fab, as there is no FMIC piping "kit" or radiator hose "kit" for the swap really, so I have lots of pipe and am just cutting/taping/marking and will have to have someone weld it, as my mig just won't do it.

The rear panel and door handles have been at my friend's house for months waiting for him to paint them, but they'll be ready this weekend, so I'll throw in the rear panel piece, Paint and mount the autopower roll bar and take some more pics. I think this weekend will be fun to really see some things coming together.

There is still a ton of stuff to spend money on, so I'm still having to be reasonable in my expectations and don't think anyone will be seeing me driving around until next spring/summer, as I still need wheels/flares/bumpers and Tail to really set it up nice.

I'm set on the FB bumpers from MSA.

I still think I'm around 3-4k away from being done cost wise. :(

The FMIC is mounted and in now, The Radiator and Fan are on, and the Radiator Hoses are set...

I still have to have an adapter welded onto the hot pipe for the "Bypass Valve", and weld together something for the cold pipe to get the right fit and allow the AAC valve hose to go into it.

I'm using a 240sx/Sr20det conversion intake pipe kit as it has two nice hookups for my vent from the valve cover and for the Recirc hose from the Bypass Valve to go into. These are what are on order:

The back is put back together and riveted back in... I still need to pick up a dry cell for under the screwed on small panel, but that can wait till later anyways... The panels are just laid in there and I'll use the panel plastic pins to hold them on once I'm sure I don't need to get back into there for anything, as they are a pain to take out.

Z153.jpg

Z154.jpg

Z155.jpg

Z156.jpg

Fuel System is Finished! (Minus the 180degree AN fitting in the front of the rail) I just got the Shaved Valve Cover in Wrinkle Black Now and it's going on tomorrow, so there should be some great pics then as well...

I have to get the cold pipe welded and get the recirc/bov flange welded on the Hot pipe as well and the I/C piping will be done... (Just waiting on a few silicone couplers and pieces and all that will be done)

Then, it's engine harness re-wrapping and install and I'll be really close to test firing the baby...