Macco or earl shibe?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Earl shieb uses recycled paint which is crap & they dont clear over the basecoats.

What that means is your car looks good for 1 year at the most.

Maaco is ok quality wise. Especially if you do the prep yourself.

I worked @ a maaco back in the day, our shop used PPG products & our cars came out nice.

It all boils down to hom much you want to spend.

In '74 I started work in the GM truck plant in Oshawa, yup painting trucks. An old German named Carl taught me what to do. In a hour I was painting trucks.

Start moving your arm parallel to the surface you are painting, pull trigger, at end release the trigger, and only then stop arm movement. Swing arm back, pull, release, stop arm. Repeat while overlapping each row of shots. Keep gun at right angles to the surface and at the same height even on a curved surface. Resist the urge to shoot bare spots like shooting a gun. I'm better at painting than describing how to. If I could paint 230 truck boxes (one side) in a shift and only had to be shown one fuck up in 11 months, anyone can do it. Preparation is 98% of a good paint job. The best painter can't do a good job if the prep is poor.

Rent the compressor and gun and practice. Surface and paint room must be cleaner than clean. Prep is everything.

In '74 I started work in the GM truck plant in Oshawa, yup painting trucks. An old German named Carl taught me what to do. In a hour I was painting trucks.

Start moving your arm parallel to the surface you are painting, pull trigger, at end release the trigger, and only then stop arm movement. Swing arm back, pull, release, stop arm. Repeat while overlapping each row of shots. Keep gun at right angles to the surface and at the same height even on a curved surface. Resist the urge to shoot bare spots like shooting a gun. I'm better at painting than describing how to. If I could paint 230 truck boxes (one side) in a shift and only had to be shown one fuck up in 11 months, anyone can do it. Preparation is 98% of a good paint job. The best painter can't do a good job if the prep is poor.

Rent the compressor and gun and practice. Surface and paint room must be cleaner than clean. Prep is everything.

Wow ! very cool ! I would agree the prep is where the job is at ;)

The Earl Schweib near my home = Shit ( overspray , cracked , LOTS OF ORANGE PEEL !!! ) They display these cars too 1 :o :lol:

datzenmike is right , rent/practice or buy/practice/do it/re-sell tools ! If money is an issue use 72240z's method (Industrial Tractor Paint :cool: )

Good Luck , will be painting my first car this summer too :D !

Ya seriously if your prepping paint it yourself. No one has to teach you anything really just reduce it according to the manufacturers specs. You could throw the paint on there so long as you have the will to sand and buff out your mistake you cant go wrong.

John Deere is actually a pita to sand lol

Seriously though those bs fly by night paint shops would have to pry the money out of my cold dead hands lol, only way they'd get it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or w/e.

ill be doing all the prep work myself

could i just have them paint it and lay on a hole bunch-o clear coat myself?

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! :o

If you can do the prep you can do the paint. Same principles as a rattle can job. No need for a base/clear job on a driver, You can get good single stage for $150-175/gal with reducer and hardener. I have had good results with Nason brand paint by Dupont. The last complete car I sprayed was 3 years ago, still nice and shiny. Hasn't even been washed in over 2 years, never been waxed.

Remove everything that you can, don't mask off what you can unbolt. This applies whether you spray it or have it done. The results are so much better. Earl and Maaco won't do that for you and their masking jobs usually look like Stevie Wonder did it.

The most important lesson I can pass on is something I learned in my first real paint job.........

If you are painting in your driveway and you are getting ready to spray a 3rd coat of clear, but it is July in Southern California and it is 105 degrees outside, STOP AT TWO COATS OF CLEAR. :blink: :blink: :blink:

That shit was dry before it landed on the car. Totally screwed up my shiny new flames. :angry: My first paint job = EPIC CLEAR FAIL. Car was beautiful up to that point.

WEll said Bob72...masking is a huge part of a quality end result. TAKE stuff OFF!

Look...here is the deal, as has been said here already...you COULD paint it yourself. You could go through the frustration and the time waiting for mistakes to dry and cure so you can sand them off again and start over. You would end up with a great story, a life skill, some tools and a car that looked at least half-way decent from 50 feet away.

I actually like this option for a guy like me cause thats the way I learn stuff..go try it and as you do, you get better at it. Welding, wrenching, pottery, painting, sex... :blink: We all have to learn as we go right? :lol:

Here is the counter point though. You want a car painted cheap? Don't have time to deal with "life lessons" right now? Too busy to try and fit it in your schedule to learn?

GET IT PAINTED! Do your own prep if you can!

I have painted many cars and seen a variety of results from "Oh crap"...to "Holy Crap!"

It takes a lot of time to get great at it. Spend the time in prep instead. Sand, prime, sand, block, prime, sand etc...you won't regret time spent making it perfect.

DatzenMike nailed it (again right?) ;) when he said prep is everything.

There is a Maaco near me in Denver that is pretty well known for throwing down some really great paint jobs. They regularly have hotrods and customs come out lookin sweet! They are staffed by a bunch of older guys that know what they are doing and take pride in it. Same prices as other Maaco shops...just attention to detail that makes the end result worth it.

Carlos1990 is right...they just started advertising their Presidential Special (I think its 249...and they have another one thats 199 here too...skip that one for sure!) that will look great if you do the prep.

REsearch shops in your area, ask them for their picture book...each shop should have one with pics of their best work.

Earl Schibe is to be avoided. Period.

as long as you remove anything you dont want to get overspray one Maaco will do a good job.

Earl Shibe doesnt even clean the surface before they paint it, if you have a dead bug on the car when you drop it off you will have a painted dead bug when you get the car back from them.

this is a maaco job:

IMG_9758.jpg

and this is how i dropped it off at maaco:

MyGLX12.jpg

Even if you remove things Maaco doesn't do a "good job" The paint holds up for 1-2 years MAX and you could go surfing on the waves they leave. How many of their jobs I have had to correct in the past is dissgusting.

If your doing all the prop work yourself which is by far the most time consuming, strenuous and important part of a paint job why would that person not have the time to paint themselves as well? Makes no sense to me.

How much paint can vary a lot. What kind of paint? How many coats? I would say 3 quarts to a gallon would be a safe approximation for 2-4 coats depending on how you lay it. which would be just fine.

Guest Rick-rat

My truck was painted by Maaco, did a good job as long as the prep work is done. They do get a lot of overspray all over so if you have something you don't want painted take it off, glad I able to borrow some old wheels and tires to take it there with.A lot of the overspray was on the frame and wheel wells. otherwise I am happy with what they did

The finish lasts about 2 years on their 2 year paint.

My suggestion is to use Macco but only get their top quality paint job. $1300 and it is the only multi-stage paint job they offer.

I've had two z-cars painted there and they both came out great but I did only the 2 year paint job. If you do the lower end paint job then keep that car garaged and waxed to protect it.

The shine lasted great for 2+ years on the purple Z and that car was daily driven and parked outside in the rain and snow for those 2 years. It was beat on by the weather and never waxed.

My wagon came with an Earl Scheib paint job. I got all the maintenance records for the car too, and it shows that it was painted in '06. The paint looks like hell now. I can literally peel it off in sections- which is good because I'm repainting it and need to strip it all down. Not to mention much of the rubber trim was also painted and there is some overspray on the glass. So avoid that place at all costs, in my opinion! Get the best paint you can afford- and make sure the prep work is done right.

We do all of our own painting at the shop, wish you were a little closer.

I've been told if you do all of your own prep work and all of your own masking and put on some crappy wheels and tires you can get a decent paint job after some cutting and buffing but at that point i would rather paint my own car. I've seen cars come out of maaco with painted windshield wipers and painted weatherstripping but i guess if you mask it all yourself it wouldn't be too bad.

There are some laquer products out there that make painting a car really easy, no mixing and no blend windows but it is laquer so the life of the paint isn't that great.

Its really about how much money you want to spend and how much time you want to put into it.

I've been told if you do all of your own prep work and all of your own masking and put on some crappy wheels and tires you can get a decent paint job after some cutting and buffing but at that point i would rather paint my own car. I've seen cars come out of maaco with painted windshield wipers and painted weatherstripping but i guess if you mask it all yourself it wouldn't be too bad.

Ya see for everything someone has to do to get a decent turn out what are they paying for? Some guy who isn't a good enough painted to work at a real shop to lay paint?.... poorly

Idk why painting is so intimidating to people but prep isn't. It's not rocket science to lay down paint for an average job. :rolleyes: