Macco or earl shibe?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Macco shops are independently owned franchises. It seems maybe the employees in Jersey are no good.

Like I had said, two cars from two different shops up here the paint was laid down evenly and lasted a long time. Even though I didn't take care of the paint and the shine faded a bit, the paint itself lasted 9 years until i sold the one car. The other car I had painted just to sell it. :)

I will say, I do not suggest going to Burien Macco. In the 1990's they had some really bad management and I was not happy with their service although the paint job turned out good.

I have two cars that were painted by macco. My GF's Volvo was painted like 7 years ago, still looks good. and My K5 was painted like 4 years ago by Macco. I did not have either painted, but both have held up well. I know the kid I got my truck from paid like $1200. Don't know what the volvo cost. It all comes down to prep work. And stick with a solid color, all of the metallic colors I have seen done by them die within a year or two. Just my .02

Thanks

Bryce

When I bought my 510 the previous owner had it painted at Maaco. I still have the reciept, $1600 for what they called 'two tone'. Basically any shiny metal was painted gloss black, and the car was painted silver. Well when I bought it it already had lost its shine and only got worse from there. By the time I was ready to repaint it, everyone thought it was primered grey.

Then on the other hand my buddy had a 1981 Starlet that he got painted at the Duke of Earl (Earl Shieb for you youngen's) and he was meticoulous about washing/waxing his car all the time. He had it for over 2 years and it looked as shiny as the day it was sprayed. So your paint care goes a long way.

I agree, every place is going to be different. You should go to your local Maaco and Earl Schieb and see thier work. I went to the local Maaco just to see and the guy was showing me cars recently done with runs, overspray, etc so there was no way I was about to shell out bucks to them. So instead I suckered Pac Coast to paint it for me :P j/k!

Even if you remove things Maaco doesn't do a "good job" The paint holds up for 1-2 years MAX and you could go surfing on the waves they leave. How many of their jobs I have had to correct in the past is dissgusting.

If your doing all the prop work yourself which is by far the most time consuming, strenuous and important part of a paint job why would that person not have the time to paint themselves as well? Makes no sense to me.

How much paint can vary a lot. What kind of paint? How many coats? I would say 3 quarts to a gallon would be a safe approximation for 2-4 coats depending on how you lay it. which would be just fine.

you are so wrong....my wagon has been out of paint for about 3 years and it still looks good. which in itself is worth the price of a cheap paint job.

im with you on getting a quality job, but if you are just painting it to look respectable then Maaco will do just that.

Duponts Nasson line of paint is probably the cheapest and a good paint for the first time DIY'er. Lays up pretty easy, I'm guessing 1.5 gallons should do well with 4-5 coats. It lays down a little thin. They use this paint at some Maaco's I hear. This is a single stage paint that can be clear coated if you want but doesn't have to. Just wax a couple times a year and use proper car wash soap and your paint will last for a long time. Most peoples paint jobs do not last a long time because they don't wax it and I know plenty of people who wash there car wish dish washing soap. This strips away any wax and there is no more protection for the paint. Wax is what helps keep uv rays from breaking down the paint.

Also, different Maaco's use different paints. So if you do it there ask them what paint they use and do some research on it.

Macco shops are independently owned franchises. It seems maybe the employees in Jersey are no good.

Like I had said, two cars from two different shops up here the paint was laid down evenly and lasted a long time. Even though I didn't take care of the paint and the shine faded a bit, the paint itself lasted 9 years until i sold the one car. The other car I had painted just to sell it. :)

Ya is a franchise and quality will be slightly different but they are still all using the same paint and technique. BK and Mc'd's are franchises no? Theres not going to be that much of a difference between a burger here and a burger there, you get the same garbage in both places. I haven't just dealt with Jerseys Maaco crap fest in all fairness lol, CT, PA, NY, DE.... That doesn't prove anything just that I'm not basing my judgment on one counties worth of experience. It's def possible that the west coast Maaco's are better but when prices are set by corporate and they still have to fit the same labor, equipment, supply and profit margins into the equation? I'm not a believer. :P

Using them just to sell the car is something I have done myself lol. That aspect I can't argue. :lol:

you are so wrong....my wagon has been out of paint for about 3 years and it still looks good. which in itself is worth the price of a cheap paint job.

I'm not wrong either, the important difference to be noted is the owner and area in which they live. No offense to you at all intended but I really don't care what someone from somewhere with such mild weather has to say about durability lol. Where you live, park in the shade and whats the paint have to hold up to? This guy lives in Idaho, buku snow and salt and extreme weather changes every season/year. The base paint job isn't holding up more then 1-2 years under those conditions, unless its some babied weekend warrior. I'd bet money on it because I have seen it so many times. I agree it will look some what respectable. What you need to do to get those results though and how long they last is my argument.

I mean w/e some are happy with it some are not which is fine and fair......

Regardless of that and no matter how you slice it even a novice with the time can do their own paint job with superior quality to that of Maaco for the same amount of money (most likely much less). Pay them 300-1200 to lay paint after you have already broke your balls doing the hard work or spend 300-1200 on higher quality paint and finish it yourself? To me the answer is obvious.

Ya is a franchise and quality will be slightly different but they are still all using the same paint and technique. BK and Mc'd's are franchises no? Theres not going to be that much of a difference between a burger here and a burger there, you get the same garbage in both places. I haven't just dealt with Jerseys Maaco crap fest in all fairness lol, CT, PA, NY, DE.... That doesn't prove anything just that I'm not basing my judgment on one counties worth of experience. It's def possible that the west coast Maaco's are better but when prices are set by corporate and they still have to fit the same labor, equipment, supply and profit margins into the equation? I'm not a believer. tongue.gif Using them just to sell the car is something I have done myself lol. That aspect I can't argue. laugh.gif I'm not wrong either, the important difference to be noted is the owner and area in which they live. No offense to you at all intended but I really don't care what someone from somewhere with such mild weather has to say about durability lol. Where you live, park in the shade and whats the paint have to hold up to? This guy lives in Idaho, buku snow and salt and extreme weather changes every season/year. The base paint job isn't holding up more then 1-2 years under those conditions, unless its some babied weekend warrior. I'd bet money on it because I have seen it so many times. I agree it will look some what respectable. What you need to do to get those results though and how long they last is my argument. I mean w/e some are happy with it some are not which is fine and fair...... Regardless of that and no matter how you slice it even a novice with the time can do their own paint job with superior quality to that of Maaco for the same amount of money (most likely much less). Pay them 300-1200 to lay paint after you have already broke your balls doing the hard work or spend 300-1200 on higher quality paint and finish it yourself? To me the answer is obvious.
i guess i should have mentioned i was living in washington state, an it was actually 2006 the wagon was painted the wagon has only been in cali for about a year

We go through sherwin williams (Auto) for our paint, good quality and cheap. Usually do a sealer/base/clear to get a good shine. If you dust on your base layer (about 8in away from the panel moving quickly) and get it good and covered with multiple coats you can then hammer on the clear and wet sand/ buff out the runs in the clear. If your base looks even then your good, if you run it start over.

Between a friend and I, we've had 3 cars painted at the Maaco in Federal Way (WA) and they do a pretty decent job there. My car was a '66 Chevelle and it needed some rust/ding repair and it came out pretty good. The bodywork wasn't done as nicely as I had hoped but, as others have said, you get what you pay for. He had an '80 Camaro painted and it came out pretty good but it was also very straight when they started. The last car he had painted was a '65 Skylark and it turned out excellent. He shows his car in area Buick shows and consistently gets a top 2 award. The cost on my car was about $1800, his Camaro was in the $1200 range but his Skylark was about $4000.

The Maaco we used definitely has the ability to lay down a really nice paint job but it will cost you, but I don't think there is any question that his $4k paint job would have cost a lot more someplace else. When the time comes I'll definitely be giving them my son's 521 for an inexpensive paint job but I'll have most all of the prep work done ahead of time. Same thing goes for my Mustang - they'll get my business when I'm ready.

As others have said, prep work goes a long way and ultimately you get what you pay for.

"I'll paint any car for $19.99" That is the TV commercial that I remember when I was a kid in the late 60's from Earl Shieb, My Aunt's husband took his chevy truck there and they did absolutely zero prep work, they painted over the mirrors, badges, bumpers you name it. back then they only had four base colors to choose from for the 19.95. Hopefully they have improved there service since then.