In a money pit, what should I do?

I need Ratsun's advice on my current car...

After my old Nissan was no longer safe to drive, I got a '92 Acura Legend. Right now, I have about $2000 into it, including purchase price. I've had to do new pads and rotors all around as well as replace both rear calipers and the parking brake shoes. I also had to fill large rust holes in my rear rockers and wheel wells with bondo (used most of a small can). The car has about 342,000KM on it, which is about 212,000 miles. The CV joints have ben rattling since I bought it and the windshield is cracked. the car could also use an undercoating for the rust underneath.

It looks like head gasket problems have just started on this car.

I am currently weighing 3 options:

#1 - Replace Head gaskets, timing belt, water pump, thermostat. Leave axles until later.

#2 - Replace the engine with a 3.5L from an Acura RL (common swap for the Legend), along with drive axles.

#3 - Replace the car

What does Ratsun think is the best route to go?

Edited by ratsar_nx
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most expensive...#3 is ok, but you will likely end up with another POS that needs...

"I've had to do new pads and rotors all around as well as replace both rear calipers and the parking brake shoes. I also had to fill large rust holes in my rear rockers and wheel wells with bondo (used most of a small can). The car has about 342,000KM on it, which is about 212,000 miles. The CV joints have ben rattling since I bought it and the windshield is cracked. the car could also use an undercoating for the rust underneath."

Cheaper.... #2 buy an engine plus you get to keep the car with all you've spent on it.

Cheapest... #1 fix what's wrong including the driveshafts. Unless these parts are more expensive than #2

But replacing the car, means that you likely end up with another car that needs work also.

Most expensive...#3 is ok, but you will likely end up with another POS that needs...

"I've had to do new pads and rotors all around as well as replace both rear calipers and the parking brake shoes. I also had to fill large rust holes in my rear rockers and wheel wells with bondo (used most of a small can). The car has about 342,000KM on it, which is about 212,000 miles. The CV joints have ben rattling since I bought it and the windshield is cracked. the car could also use an undercoating for the rust underneath."

Cheaper.... #2 buy an engine plus you get to keep the car with all you've spent on it.

Cheapest... #1 fix what's wrong including the driveshafts. Unless these parts are more expensive than #2

You guys have good points. At least I KNOW what's wrong with the one I have.

I took the time to budget things out and it looks like #1 is probably about half what #2 would cost. Plus, I can consider it an educational opportunity. I've only taken heads off an engine, never back on, and never with an OHC design. My biggest concern with doing the head gaskets is that the C32A V6 in the Legend is all-aluminum, which worries me about head warpage and having them blow again.

I didn't factor beer into my budget though... I need some way of convincing a friend or two to help me. :lol:

Consider it a loss, sell it for almost nothing, and buy something else. Your going to end up having WAAYY more money into that car than it's worth. Since the chassis already has a bazillion miles on it, it will continue to need things even after you fix what was listed above.

Consider it a loss, sell it for almost nothing, and buy something else. Your going to end up having WAAYY more money into that car than it's worth. Since the chassis already has a bazillion miles on it, it will continue to need things even after you fix what was listed above.

so says the 510 owner :)

do you still have that corner window metal by chance?

"In a money pit, what should I do?"

If your going to pump wads of cash into a car make sure it's something that's going to gain in value not lose....... Older impalas , cameros , etc....

Which is what I should be doing to my 65 rag but these Datsuns are so much fun.....

jmho

Guest 510kamikazifreak

#3 Legends are not the best of car at the best of times,IMO

Look for a right(rear) wheel drive datto or something.

There are a few 620s out in Moosejaw (or as of a 2 1/2 years ago there was),Right off highway 1 seen a few in fields.

A couple in Yorkton too.

How much is the car worth?

How much would it be worth if you done #1 or #2 to the car? Any at all?

I would make a list of things to look for in a car that are bad and see if i find something i want for less than to repair this. Do not continue to put money into a car that you do not want. If it means something to you and want to keep it for a long time then you would not be asking this already.

rd

How rusty is the car (is it a Sask car or an Ontario car)? If the underside has ANY rust thru, write the car off as a learning experience.

Add up the cost of a windshield, cv's, head gaskets, and water pump (better change it while you can) and possibly a timing chain set as well with that milage, now take a look in the local online classifieds for comparable cars (be honest) and how much they are worth. While your there, place an online ad for your Legend, price it to sell. ;)

The acura legend is a great car, sounds like you bought one that was neglected and driven into the ground which is ashame. That being said, parts are expensive, it sounds super rusty, and if you only have that much coin into it maybe flip it for whatever you can and find something else. You can only help the sick, not raise the dead....unless it was a 521.

If the car was in good running order, it could probably go for about $2000. There is a used car dealership here in town who wants $6900 for one. I want to find out who their dealer is, because they've gotta be on the good stuff to ask that price.

Rust you say?

dsc01807.jpg

This is what I've patched with Bondo.

The Legend is definitely a nice car. It's comfortable, drives nicely (especially given the mileage) and it has a strong engine. The only problem is, given my budget, I might end up in something similar again if I get rid of it and get something else.

I've found a few options in the local classifieds., but I'll have to wait a few days until I pursue anything.

This is the worst time of the year to have to worry about a car. :mad:

bondo over rust helps to rust faster :) The rust is bad but i've driven worse. assess your situation. Do you drive mainly to work or school? how many km do you do in an average week? I drive to work 5 days a week and grocery shop etc every saturday.

That being said i might put on 150 km a week. My toyota 4 runner has rust holes as big as your in the doors and runs on 5 cyls :) but i dont worry about it getting plowed into or if it gets door dings in the parking lot. Low maintence and works well as a winter driver. If i were doing twice the kms i might think of something else but there is no reason for me to drive a perfectly good new car into the ground.

Its all about what you need out of a vehicle, i can see that legend making it thru the winter driving short trips to work etc and buying something else when it dies in the spring or so, just keep that in mind that it needs to get you till spring and you wont beat on it as bad.

Replace it #3 for sure. I just sold my 1991 Syclone and picked up a 510 and don't regret it. One thing good about Datsun they will out run anything. My Sy was the biggest money pit out there everytime I drove it I was checking or working on it,now my Datsun's I can hop in them and go anywhere I want. #3!