510 drift??

sick620

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what other people think .Im building my 510 to drift cause everytime i go to a local drift event there are 50+ 240sx's. Im doing it cause I want to do it. Everyone around here says your gona wind up wrecking your 510 and I always say so what its my hard earned cash I bought it. Before the car was just sitting in a yard no engine,tranny,interior rotting away and would have been picked up by the city and crushed sooner or later at least this way itll see the road even if its just for a while.

true these cars where built to be driven ! ;) i drive the shit out of mine

dont do it thats all i have to say when it comes to drifting its not a matter of if you ill hit somthing its a matter of when and these cars are hard enough to put together without having people smash them into walls if you really want a 510 drift car build a tube chassis and make a fiberglas 510 shell to set on top of it

Who cares what other people think .Im building my 510 to drift cause everytime i go to a local drift event there are 50+ 240sx's. Im doing it cause I want to do it.
HELL YEAH. Every time I get on the freeway I'm surrounded by CARS! Everyone has a CAR. I'm gonna take my horse out on the freeway.
hmm.... i have an 80 280zx will that drift??D

again, if you knew what made a good drift car a good drift car you wouldnt be asking questions like that :rolleyes: a 280ZX is not optimal, technicaly yes. you can drift it. unless you do some heavy fab to give it some actual stearing angle it will never be competitive.

drift an escalade. drift a 240. drift a lawnmower. drift a 510. drift a horse!

its your money- not theirs. just promise to fix any datsun you break. :fu: the only thing i care about-- is that you get video --- going proper sideways --hella fast.

yeah the 510 is a super classic, but you might as well take the bus if youre not having fun! AND if youre gonna drift the 510, might as well ghost ride it too. :)

get a shitty rag 510 thats not the straightest (pleanty of these out their) and drift it... if you hit a wall who cars like others said its YOUR CAR AND YOUR MONEY!!!

like was stated befor the only thing i ask is a proper drift vid clip of it going sideways very fast lol

p.s who said you can't drift a 510

Not mine

Edited by JDM510

Drifting is stupid and pointless. Fun, yes, but stupid and pointless. And slow. Why not direct your skills towards a worthwhile sport that includes drifting, but for the sake of quickness? Which would be RALLY!!!! Much better time, easier on the car if you don't hit trees, harder if you do.

If you really need to do the "It's so kuooll, it's drifting!" thing, go get a foxbody Ford Mustang. It's already tail happy and you can upgrade the V8 and the suspension until your eyeballs fall out.

I have had pretty good luck in oregon with a L20b in my 4 door 510. usually its wet out when we go, but it is capable of holding and maintaining a drift around a orange cone. Buy used tires. More power would help for sure. I have a handbrake, you can use this also.I dont much. Get a LSD rear end or be cheap and weld it. Be ready to fix things. Since its hard on the cars. haha. I have done some pretty crazy things and got away with it becuase I owned a sledge hammer and a welder. (its in oregon with my brother now)

Datsun require maintainence and drifting something that already requires that only adds to the things you need to keep up on.

Im all for it though. If your going to build it, drive it. Im getting sick and tired of people dumping money into there ratsuns and not driving it a little hard because 'thats bad for it'. I can understand this to some extent, it cost lost of money to build a car. But if you build one and design it for rally/drifting then you sure as hell better be out on the streets or track doing just that.

IMO anyways.

well see in my opinion on this whole thing any 510 i buy here in idaho will be on its last leg and basically scrap metal. why not give a 510 thats been sitting in a field for 20 years one last chance to be somebody, one more chance to live out its dreams! :D

Here is the video of the 2 510s at the Thunder Drift event down at Thunder Hill.

Obviously 510's can drift.

At a minimum you need a clutch type LSD or welded diff. Preferably not a VLSD as they suck for drifting and wear out quickly but anything is better than open.

The biggest thing that makes 510s hard to drift is the steering geometry.

The 240sx practically drifts itself because the stock steering has a lot of caster and it will auto steer back to center very easily and quickly.

The 510 has very little caster and low KPI angle so you have to do a bit more work to transition from lock to lock.

The 2 biggest areas after the LSD would be front end alignment/geometry and good suspension.

Dial in a lot more caster and camber in the front. For proven steering swap in an AE86 rack and pinion and spindles.

You'll also want to mess with wheel offsets and fender well clearances so you can get maximum steering angle as the 510 has some pretty shallow steering angle and interference on the foot well and swaybar / TC rod out of the box. To get more steering angle fine a shorter ball joint steering link out of the Datusn cross pollination parts bin. Shorter as in less distance between the center of the ball joint and tie rod ball joint.

The rear semi-trailing arm suspensions actually work quite well for drifting. The aggressive toe curves and tendency to squat can create some good bite and traction while drifting.

Set up rear toe to gain negative toe in as it compresses and get some decently stiff suspension (but not too stiff - still need to absorb the bumps on rough tracks to keep you from spinning out) to keep it from transferring too much weight to the back and it will work really well. E30's drift really well with semi-trailing arms.

You might also think about setting up an e brake that you can use a hand lever to easily actuate. An e brake is not necessary to drift but it sure helps to adjust line and speed, especially during tandem.

Due to their short wheelbase they will always be more difficult to drift however if you can drift a 510 well you'll be able to drift anything.

Also - Drifting is very hard on cars. Since Datsuns are 30+ years old unless you like playing Russian Roulette replace every bushing, bearing, ball joint, and brake component with new items to ensure you don't have a failure that will total your car and possibly injure you or some one else.

Edited by Umai Kakudo

ok so he wants to know what to build who cares let him build it just like he said if you can drive to your ABILITIES you will be fine just take it slow get use to the datsun and drift the hell out of it zs make terrible drift cars unless your a dam good driver so why dont we answer his question not talk him out of doing it

yeah they had few decent drifts out there. But did you notice how the 240 and 86 looked much better doing it. WAY better lines WAY deeper slides. and less work involved.

you're going to do what you want to do with your 510. For some reason I doubt you're going to put the ~7 grand into it to make it a powerful, competitive, and safe drift car.

or you can just be one of those guys that "I drift muh car in the rain :spit ting: slides real purty. I also do drift dontuns in the durt huyuck"

if you are going to do this and not put in a rack i would suggest this!

280zx struts and brakes shorten the strut tubes 40mm 4 way agx or ilumina's or rabbit shocks coil overs. know here is the major part you want adjustable lower control arms and tc rods so you can run 5 degrees of caster . wow what a difference that made. if you dont get the control arms you will destroy the lca bushing's running that much caster

DELIVERED! :)

Man I was supposed to mob up there with luke for that event... damn looks like it was fun to bad I missed it.

And the 510 isnt a common drift car because you can make a good drifter out of a lot of other cars for a lot less... But that dosent mean you cant make it into a drift car.. just takes that much more effort and fabrication.. I thought about taking my 510 out to some drift events .. im not trying ot win any trophies but its a hell of a lot of fun.

and yes you can drift just about anything...

haha

Edited by BoostinBen