510 drift??

sick620

i say SLIDE THAT SHIT!! =D drifting is like driving, WAY better 2 do it in a datsun!

datsunslide.jpg

the 510 is my car of choice because well just like you guys, i have good taste! =) i love 2 look @ my car and say i do everything in it. daily drive,slide,canyon run,park @ car shows,go to the grocery store. its 100% universal. yeah ur @ a disadvantage compared to say a 240sx or rolla because of parts. (u either need 2 make ur own or shell out the extra money for em) but i feel u get much more pride from it all. @ the time of this pic i had coilovers,shortened struts w/rabbit inserts,adjustable lower control arms, 1" sway bar,welded diff, and my l20b was leaking oil out of every orifice on it. but w/ some shitty tires and the psi at 70 it would slide. every mod has been done by my dad and i, so when id go out on the track and still not do well i wouldnt trip, it was just time 2 make some more shit! =D (and a swap would help!)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look good no matter how many "drifting" 510s I see. They just don't get sideways enough. And judges call you on it. So yeah to sum up

this thread.

You can sorta drift a 510 with the right swap, suspension, and practice. But it will only be a funny novelty to the competition.

Why not autox/time attack? You can do fake drifts there too but they work for

you.

It doesn't look good no matter how many "drifting" 510s I see. They just don't get sideways enough. And judges call you on it. So yeah to sum up

this thread.

You can sorta drift a 510 with the right swap, suspension, and practice. But it will only be a funny novelty to the competition.

Why not autox/time attack? You can do fake drifts there too but they work for

you.

ive been drifting for many years and to a lot of people, competition doesnt mean shit. its just to go out and have fun. and as far as everyone being so concerned about the steering angle, there are easy solutions. from the factory the fc and fc rx7 have shit steering angle but with a shorter arm on the hub, you can gain more than you will ever need.

to the op. just drive your car and have fun. of course people arent going to like drifting. its still seen as reckless kids going out and being stupid.

its still seen as reckless kids going out and being stupid.

oh no who would think that? It's as ossum as 1/4 miles on the street. or ground fX. or diet soda. or burn outs at a car meet. on the topic of drifting Im a sour guss. I think it makes a lot of good cars into hacked projects. I know a few dudes who drift semi pro, and they even agree.

In los angeles drifting events are 10% talented drifters, and 90% methneck 18-21 year olds with JDM TYTE attitudes ruining what drifting and JDM used to mean before tokyo drift.

oh no who would think that? It's as ossum as 1/4 miles on the street. or ground fX. or diet soda. or burn outs at a car meet. on the topic of drifting Im a sour guss. I think it makes a lot of good cars into hacked projects. I know a few dudes who drift semi pro, and they even agree.

In los angeles drifting events are 10% talented drifters, and 90% methneck 18-21 year olds with JDM TYTE attitudes ruining what drifting and JDM used to mean before tokyo drift.

oh im not going to argue the fact that its torture on a car. even if you dont wreck (bad), you wear the car out very quickly. utah doesnt have a drift scene like cali. its only maybe 15-20 serious guys. we hold very cheap on track events. (50$ per night) and even though we are surrounded by glorious mountains we encourage everyone to stay on the track with their sliding. im not here to argue because its a debate that nobody will win. just stating my opinion. enjoy your rusty heap in the manner you see fit. guys hack up old dat trucks to make mini trucks and people say its cool, guys mention drifting and everyone turns into a sourpus.

i say SLIDE THAT SHIT!! =D drifting is like driving, WAY better 2 do it in a datsun!

datsunslide.jpg

the 510 is my car of choice because well just like you guys, i have good taste! =) i love 2 look @ my car and say i do everything in it. daily drive,slide,canyon run,park @ car shows,go to the grocery store. its 100% universal. yeah ur @ a disadvantage compared to say a 240sx or rolla because of parts. (u either need 2 make ur own or shell out the extra money for em) but i feel u get much more pride from it all. @ the time of this pic i had coilovers,shortened struts w/rabbit inserts,adjustable lower control arms, 1" sway bar,welded diff, and my l20b was leaking oil out of every orifice on it. but w/ some shitty tires and the psi at 70 it would slide. every mod has been done by my dad and i, so when id go out on the track and still not do well i wouldnt trip, it was just time 2 make some more shit! =D (and a swap would help!)

this would make pimp poster

Not to detract from the thread but regarding drifting:

Our autocross club (ASNW) decided to give drifting a try a year or two back, and we held quite a few drift events. What happened was 8 to 20 people showed up. Most had stock or lowered 20 year old rust bucket Japanese cars, and most were WAY underpowered.

What you would normally get was the kind of high school jackassery associated with trying to do burnouts after a football game with very little success. There was little to no control of the cars, or the attitudes of those driving, save one or two people who actually gave two craps about car control.

The large majority of drivers were uneducated dipshits who just thought drifting was cool because most people don't like it. They couldn't drift for shit because they A, had underpowered cars, B, had no knowledge of how to set up said cars for drifting, C, were using their daily drivers as their competition mad tyte slide yo! cars, D, didn't care to ever learn proper technique, E, couldn't fix their "drift car" if it broke, including while on course, and F, for failure, in every sense to provide meaningful entertainment and or skill, to conclude at G, not any of them wanted to help run or work the event, instead they just figured everyone else would do the work and they could go play.

Also what happened was most of these arrogant little shits brought their little shit friends who then tried to steal other peoples' parts and almost got violently beaten by several members who actually compete at autocross regularly. We dropped it after a season due to lack of interest, and very poor public appearance; in fact it was hurting the club's image quite a bit.

Needless to say, I see very little future for drifting as it's a VERY high dollar sport, and can only be done correctly with large amounts of money. Second, it's based on personal preference. This is bullshit. Racing is about time. Time, time, time!!! Who was fastest? I don't know, let's check the board and see who got to the finish line quicker by TIME. It's not some arbitrary bullshit like an ice skating competition, it's hard cold, who went faster.

Moreover, WHY NOT RALLY RACING? You can drift all you want for the purpose of going fast! HOW ABOUT ICE RACING? You're drifting all the time! These kinds of sports make a hell of a lot more sense if you're really interested on being on the edge of control.

End rant.

i love that the fat dude ^^^ is grabbing the Oshit handle!

-to ichorids post above.... drift events reflect the general population of LA. 10% talented drivers, 90% meth-necks.

-maybe you should save the drifting for wal*mart lots, because the average family saves $3100 a year no matter where you shop. thats enough to buy 2 new 510s EVERY YEAR!

Stanza, and back it around the course. I love my Datsun so if I were drifting I would use a tractor ...or anything else. :D

So how do you win a drift event anyway? Fastest around? If that's the case you wouldn't get sideways so it must be the slowest around. Most smoke? Hell my old '65 Pontiac would have won sitting still! Does one car actually race another or is it like stars on ice?

i am a good driver and can drift well

Are we talking trophies/driving schools, etc., or are we talking insubstantiated just in general? :)

In my opinion, get an 810. Long wheelbase, fits a straight six. To drift you need a decent wheelbase, and power. Not to mention steering angles/caster angles that some other fellow posted up before this one.

Down here we have local drift events monthly and we do it mostly for fun. You guys act like these cars are gold come on there old econo box's. I mean i payed more for my tial wastegate than i did for my whole 510 shell lol.

The Datsun Gods will not be pleased by that comment. Expect a wiring gremlin in the near future!!! :D

The problem with 510s is most people get them, screw them all up, and then end up with a dead, beat to shit 510 that's of no use to anyone because it's way too much effort to repair.

For instance, my rally 510. I plan to beat the shit out of it, BUT it already had a crushed rear quarter, so considering it's never going to be show quality, might as well use it!

The Datsun Gods will not be pleased by that comment. Expect a wiring gremlin in the near future!!! :D

The problem with 510s is most people get them, screw them all up, and then end up with a dead, beat to shit 510 that's of no use to anyone because it's way too much effort to repair.

and because of this the amount of clean datsuns is limited i mean come on when i was in my accedent it took me 2 months to find another shell (yes it is a 610 but the fact of the matter is the 610 did outsell the 510 so there were at one time more of them then 510s) datsuns in general are rare cars now due to people with the "its an econobox pile of junk" attitude