it looks like someone is going through threads....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I correct thread titles because I think it looks more professional if someone drops by while surfing the web. I mean we here at Ratsun have to hold ourselves to a higher standard, right? But as far as the text, fuck that.

Edited by datzenmike

Oh, on that topic Datzenmike, please correct any topic's with APROSTROPHES SHOWING POSSESSION THAT DO NOT BELONG!!!! :eek:

Such as: "Pic's of my car." No, no possession. Plural only needs an "s", that's it!

Corrected: "Pics of my car." Or "I own many Datsun's." WRONG, YOU WILL BE BEATEN WITH A SCHNELLSCHTICK!!! Corrected: "I own many Datsuns."

Very good, the Datsun gods will be happy now. :D

I think we should leave other peoples posts alone. Some of the best and most helpful posts come from members with less than perfect English. Anyway it is a well known fact that cars "run good". If somebody tells you that his car "runs very well", he doesn't know what he's talking about. :)

That's more better.

the text stays as is could be run on like thisto hate when it happens u no what i meen my peerod key is broke fukkit i say often a spellin errot like thisis just the key besids the rite one

Edited by datzenmike

Very interesting thread. Sometimes I find some of our posts somewhat difficult to decipher, but I figured that it's me just getting old and behind the times. With the internet, texting, and our rapidly changing information technology, I guess it's bound to cause people to spend less time wanting or caring about speaking or writing formal english. This language has always been evolving, and will continue to do so. I remember one scene from a movie awhile back called Fame! where a student's response to the instructor's dismay at his lack of acceptable english was: "I talks like I likes."

I've personally found that though people may not have neat handwriting, good spelling or grammar, they can be extremely talented in other areas.

Dan

Many years ago, I travelled overseas quite frequently as part of my job, for example to Japan. I sure as heck didn't speak, read or write much Japanese, but I knew a majority of the younger Japanese folks had learned some english in school. Getting them to translate for me or hold a conversation required speaking "proper" english, since they knew very little slang or colloquial english. They enjoyed practicing their english, and sought to speak it correctly. They also expected me to at least try to learn some of their language. It was a matter of mutual respect and cooperation.

Dan

I'm going to sound older than I am here, but have you ever noticed how people say words in relation to how they spell? Listen carefully to radio ads, etc. Many of the most common mistakes are probably being fostered by subconsciously listening to them.

Take the phrase shouted from many an ad:

"You're going to love our prices!"

Most times when you hear it pronounced, the announcer will say "YOR", instead of "YUR" hard U. After all, it is a contraction, with the parent word being you, NOT the personal possession "your."

I truly think that is one of the biggest downfalls in the media today is less people read, instead they just listen to the lies and spoonfed crap, and consequently hear things incorrectly, which reinforces their incorrect spelling and vernacular.

Oh, and note the changed signature, hehe.

Edited by HRH

Ever notice how some people pronounce vehicle? Sometimes they pronounce it like vee-hi-cle instead of vee-i-kuhl.

The former way is technically acceptable, but non-standard:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vehicle

What really gets me is on the GM commercial where the president or CEO uses vee-hi-cle. :blink:

Another one is when people pronounce pretty as purdy. I think both cases make the person sound somewhat unintelligent. "That's a purdy vee-hi-cle" Doh!

Edited by hughdogz

I think it IS Vee hic le isn't it? Try saying vehicular it doesn't come out Vee ic u lar, more like Vee hic u lar. Maybe just me (Canadian eh?)

DISLEXIC, this is under General Discussion (:D) and in the interest of sharing Datsun info it sure helps if we are clear and there is no misunderstandings. Otherwise unless a keystroke error from being in a hurry: like MILE instead of MIKE. the L key is beside the K and hit in error, I just shake my head at the lack of punctuation and grammar. Then there's Hainz!:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by datzenmike
I think it IS Vee hic le isn't it? Try saying vehicular it doesn't come out Vee ic u lar, more like Vee hic u lar. Maybe just me (Canadian eh?)

Mike, you smart Canadian! You're right, that is the exception:

"A pronunciation with primary stress on the second syllable and a fully pronounced [h] is usually considered nonstandard: /viˈhɪkəl/[vee-hik-uhl]. In the adjective vehicular, where the primary stress is normally on the second syllable, the [h] is always pronounced."

Ever notice how some people pronounce vehicle? Sometimes they pronounce it like vee-hi-cle instead of vee-i-kuhl.

The former way is technically acceptable, but non-standard:http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vehicle

What really gets me is on the GM commercial where the president or CEO uses vee-hi-cle. :blink:

Another one is when people pronounce pretty as purdy. I think both cases make the person sound somewhat unintelligent. "That's a purdy vee-hi-cle" Doh!

hugh you gots a purdy mouth!:lol:

I think everyone on the West coast says ve-hi-cle unless in a hurry when we slur it to ve-i-cle. It may be 'non-standard' but it is still correct.

Mike I never thought about it before, but it seems reasonable that the Title belongs to the club, while the posts belong to the poster.

By the way the bolt holding on your air cleaner is incorrect. It's supposed to be a 10 mm hex head with a philip slot. Your's is a plan 10mm hex head....OK, for a minute there I forgot we are Ratsun.

We are fighting a loosing battle to prevent the English [british, Canadian, Austrailian or American version] language from descending into Pidgin [which itself is a formal misspelling]. The official airline of the nation of New Guinea is "Air Nu Gini" which sadly fortells the future. Lets push the inevitable off and at least slow down, type a bit more carefully and for God's sake punctuate!

We are fighting a loosing battle to prevent the English [british, Canadian, Austrailian or American version] language from descending into Pidgin [which itself is a formal misspelling]. The official airline of the nation of New Guinea is "Air Nu Gini" which sadly fortells the future. Lets push the inevitable off and at least slow down, type a bit more carefully and for God's sake punctuate!

Sorry, it's just too hard to resist...

I think the word you were looking for is 'losing' and not 'loosing.'

;)