the "U" model

Steroid

OK, a while back Bleach, I beieve found photos of U620s (which has become My "dream vehicle"!!) but with the recent purchase of stock Japanese brochures I found that they made the "U" model way back into the 320s. Here are a few 320 photos that I scanned.

U320.jpg

U3202.jpg

U3203.jpg

U3205.jpg

U3206.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And lastly, the U620. I tried like crazy to see one while in Japan but there was not one available close by. I did meet a 620 fan that knew of one for sale. Maybe, just maybe, someday!!!

U620.jpg

dat620wpu01.gif

So the "U" in the chassis descriptions must stand for Ute? The U620 4 door looks sick. The U521 looks like a 510 4door :D. (and what's with the inmate/firefighter/construction worker in the back with the ladder and tv cables?!)

He not in the back with TV tables (scary that you even know about 50s/60s TV cultural artifacts)... He standing on a step ladder with rope and radioing the rest of the army to help him tie Godzilla up after they electrocuted him unconscious. (Sheesh!)

How many Asian chicks could you carry in that? Even room for spares in the back!!!

Yes. You saw a photo that Bleach found somewhere. It was a white U620 in Costa Rica. I had it on My old computer but I think it is long gone now. I think, actually, that might have been the first U620 photos that I had ever seen. If not, is was close. I was blown away!! There is an awesome one that I am hoping to purchase the magazine some day that it was in. The guy chopped it, shortened the rear of the cab, lowered it to look a lot like an El Camino. While in Japan, I was shown the magazine (#3 Cal Magazine) that it was featured in. THAT is My dream truck! If I ever get that magazine I will post those photos here. He also did a cool trick with His front bumper. He filled in the front running/turn signal lights in the valence and mounted them in the bumper. I wish I had those shots to show You. I also wish that I had production figures on U620s. What I DO have is photocopies of each body part from an Austrailian service manual that Guy Gray purchased. If any way possable, maybe, just maybe, parts to build one could be tracked down with the part numbers. I see what You mean about coping one but remember there are many parts unavailable such as taillights, rear bumper and tailgate. Without ever even seeing one, I would have no idea where to begin.

that is very possible, however if you look at the designs of the time i would think it more likely to be that U would in fact stand for Ute, or rather Utility (ute being the "modern" slang version of utility vehicle). which is really what they were. it was closer to an suv than an ext cab truck, since it was a unibody design. having said all that, i'm just making assumptions... there is some logic in there too, but it all comes down to assumptions.

Probably something to do with the fact the cab and bed a one unit. Like the Australian ute, which was invented here.

Hmm, I've never seen one here actually. I just realised I could bring one over pretty easy. Shame I can't even afford to get my 720 going at the moment!

• 2 months later...

Heres a "woodie" U620. I will post more photos on this one later. I am just beginning to scan the Cal magazines that I have been purchasing. I know of at least 3 other views of this one but here is the first I've scanned.......

Cal127pg27.jpg

• 1 month later...