Overpriced junk or not?

RoadRace

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, right? i have been looking for a 520 or a 620 to haul my 510 to the race track with. there is never anything local. when something does show up, i get this:

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-auto-body-parts-77-Datsun-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ156970353

2589gh6_19.jpeg

$750 for a smashed up parted out 77 620. i dunno, maybe i'm wrong. whats is a good 620 box worth? should i get it for the box and just wait for the right truck locally?:confused:

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The temptation is to wait for awhile if you're not in a rush...then ask the seller if they've had any response on the ad (probably not) which can give you more room to fenagle an offer to buy it. It would seem to me something a bit better would come along in the meantime. You're in Canada---Datsuns aren't too common outside the Victoria/Vancouver area I would imagine, tho'...

Edited by mellotrongirl

I would be a little worried about the weight i was towing. Something that heavy could easily push your 620 around. Braking would be obviously be a good distance and hard to slow down quickly if needed, but the chances of losing control would be pretty high also i think.

Ive seen datsuns towing small items like little aluminum boats, no biggy. Those are light and hell you can pick them up yourself lol. Only trucks ive seen actually haul something of weight are 720 4x4s, and even then it was no bigger then a 16ft camping trailer.

just my .02

Im all for you towing a datsun to the track in a datsun tho, thats cool! There is a 4x4 620 in washington for 1200. Should snag it up :D

Edited by h2theizzo

Safe towing is done with a towing rig weighing a good amount more than what is being towed.

Full size trucks towing a heavy trailer always have power brakes on the trailer.

Building a custom longframe flatbed out of the 620 would be much safer. With the 510 on the truck, you then have no weight pushing you. Bigger brakes and bigger engine would be fine then.

Safe towing is done with a towing rig weighing a good amount more than what is being towed.

Full size trucks towing a heavy trailer always have power brakes on the trailer.

Building a custom longframe flatbed out of the 620 would be much safer. With the 510 on the truck, you then have no weight pushing you. Bigger brakes and bigger engine would be fine then.

lol, thats what i was meaning to get across i guess.

custom flatbed 620 i think would be awesome.

When I got my 73 620 recently,the guy towed it on a two axle trailer from Alabama to Indiana with an 85 Nissan pickup! Probably due for a new clutch now,but he made it. Here's what you need. This is a model I built a few years ago. A 620 rollback! The bed even moved like the real ones.

datsunroll.jpg

When I got my 73 620 recently,the guy towed it on a two axle trailer from Alabama to Indiana with an 85 Nissan pickup! Probably due for a new clutch now,but he made it. Here's what you need. This is a model I built a few years ago. A 620 rollback! The bed even moved like the real ones.

thats excellent - i haven't seen the long wheelbase version of that truck. my neighbor (well, a couple streets over) put a wrecker on the back of his reg cab short wheel base datsun dually - its pretty cool.

i like this one much better - if it was real...

Edited by RoadRace

:cool:

$750 for a smashed up parted out 77 620. i dunno, maybe i'm wrong. whats is a good 620 box worth? should i get it for the box and just wait for the right truck locally?:confused:

A straight, clean bed is probably worth it's weight in gold...but that truck isn't worth anywhere near $750 :)

Those models are awesome. The stake bed trucks sold like hotcakes in Austrailia, almost every pic of a 620 from there has a flatbed. :cool:

The 620 can carry about 1,100 pounds. The '79 dual tire cab chassis was 1 ton? So even if you build a flatbed you may be way over the gross vehicle weight limit. Same with towing, the towed item must not exceed the carrying limit of the towing vehicle. Nothing like being sent to the nearest truck scales and FAIL. They'll pull you off the road before you kill yourself.

The 620 can carry about 1,100 pounds. The '79 dual tire cab chassis was 1 ton? So even if you build a flatbed you may be way over the gross vehicle weight limit. Same with towing, the towed item must not exceed the carrying limit of the towing vehicle. Nothing like being sent to the nearest truck scales and FAIL. They'll pull you off the road before you kill yourself.

Ultimately, towing should be the same no matter where you live - if you can tow safely and securely through the BC/Alberta Rockies, then you're good anywhere.

the 1-ton rating on the early Datsun/Nissan trucks was optimistic at best. i have a chev c30 crew-cab dually with a prepped 454 and a proper 1 ton rating and the difference is obvious, as my C30 weighs 6000lbs dry and is rated to tow 10,000lbs, with a CGVW of 18,500 lbs (if i can remember correctly!). the Nissan 1 ton single wheel diesel truck i got for the drivetrain would not do the same job as the Chev, the chev is overkill for what i do. i tow the 510 with my minivan (3500lb tow cap) and its great, no issues. the datsun weighs 1900lbs, the trailer another 600lbs.

i have been towing race cars to the same track for 20 years, and you're gonna have to believe me on this one guys, if i'm not comfortable towing it 60 miles on flat hwy (with maybe 10 cars of traffic seen each way to the track), i'm not gonna do it. i'm also not panning on towing anywhere else with it.

i would like to re-iterate that the concern and good advice from the collective board members and moderators alike is welcome and very much appreciated. if the turbo diesel datsun tow project doesn't do what i am designing it to do, i will still have a cool truck when i'm done and there's nothing wrong with that!:)

I'd be leary of trailering a 510 with a 620. They really just don't weigh enough. Even with lets say 1750 pounds of completely stripped 510, add a trailer and supplies, and you're into 2500-3500 lb territory with the lightest aluminum trailer you can find.

I tow-bar'd an xtended cab 720 2wd pickup behind the 620, and it did it, but scary as shit. Any time there was a sharp corner, the weight would pick up the back end of the 620. I put about 500 pounds of rocks in the bed just to get it to grab.

I have a 620 I'd sell you, hell I'd drive it up there. But I'm thinking maybe you should look for a hardbody 4x4, and just stick a 620 kc body on it. It would still be light, but should have enough to tow a light car just fine. Plus way better brakes.

Not very long ago, I used a tow dolly to tow a 75 Datsun 620 reg cab with a 77 Datsun 620 x cab. I just had a tired L20b in the 77 with a 5 speed, kept it in 4th gear. It was a 10 hr drive at 65mph one way. You definately knew it was there, especially when going up the hills in Kentucky. Before I attempted that, I towed a 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse with my 74 Datsun 620. That was also on a tow dolly. The biggest problem I found is that the breaks on these 620's suk for just stopping them selves let alone stopping twice the weight.

As for that parts truck for $750, just too much for what is there... I'd almost let you "drive" my 73 away for that.

Edited by Suspect

There were 2 Datsun 620 tow trucks built for Morris Datsun(Nissan now) back in the 70's. There's a fellow down the road from me that has one. Ill go down and see if i can get pics of it sometime soon.

Ive seen him towing crown vics with it.