Ed's 521 Work in Progress

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Broken cams come from cam towers that are not the correct "base height" when the cam is tightened down. In other words, the cam tower bound the cam in place and the thing broke. To avoid this, all cam towers must be pre tightened with the cam in place and without the rockers to see if the cam spins freely. If the cam feels like it won't spin freely, doesn't have that new bearing feel, then the cam is bound and the tower bases need to be machined to correct height in accordance to which one or ones are doing the binding. If the head was previously warped and then remachined flat, the top of the head where the cam is sitting is not. Just because the bottom/mating surface is flat doesn't mean the top is flat where the valve cover and cam towers sit.

Just a couple of things to look for :)

Guest kamakazi620

well, I believe I found cause of failure

112920101203.jpg

I think its kind of important to install both cam tower dowels into the head - but ...ahem... RICK'S CYLINDER HEAD SERVICE doesn't

WOW Ricks a Dick!!!

• 1 month later...

well, I believe I found cause of failure

112920101203.jpg

I think its kind of important to install both cam tower dowels into the head - but ...ahem... RICK'S CYLINDER HEAD SERVICE doesn't

I have heard of a certain cylinder head service that can put out the best work ,,,,,,,,,, that is ,,,,,,, when not drinking :blink: :blink: :blink:

Broken cams come from cam towers that are not the correct "base height" when the cam is tightened down. In other words, the cam tower bound the cam in place and the thing broke. To avoid this, all cam towers must be pre tightened with the cam in place and without the rockers to see if the cam spins freely. If the cam feels like it won't spin freely, doesn't have that new bearing feel, then the cam is bound and the tower bases need to be machined to correct height in accordance to which one or ones are doing the binding. If the head was previously warped and then remachined flat, the top of the head where the cam is sitting is not. Just because the bottom/mating surface is flat doesn't mean the top is flat where the valve cover and cam towers sit.

Just a couple of things to look for :)

This is a very good and informative post, I like this post a lot, it is easy to understand.:thumbup: