Ed's 521 Work in Progress

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my carb is fubar, thats why I was having so much trouble getting it to idle. I was thinking that was my problem, had a friend come take a look before and make sure I wasn't overlooking something stupid before I went and raised hell at discount import parts. They are getting me another one but its going to take a week - which means its probably not going to be done by Canby :angry:

The torrential rain hasn't been helping either

Picked up truck from exhaust shop this morning, a heater hose had blown on way there, so replaced that. Removed the gigantor rear bumper. Lowered it, had to notch the rear spring shackle. Got it titled, registered, insured. And got Pacific Wonderland plates. I am now completely broke and couldn't be happier

06052010160.jpg

more pics when photobucket is working

So off the top of my head:

1972 PL521

1600 bored 50 over

U67 head port and polish - comp cam & springs

Ported intake manifold

KA24DE oil pump

Matchbox dizzy

32/36 down draft

Custom header pipe, 2 1/4" exhaust, flowtech glass pack

Synthetic gear oil in tranny & diffy

Pathfinder wheels with 1/2" spacers and longer studs

3" blocks in rear, reindexed torsion bars in front

New king pins, brakes, clutch,

Wagner amber high beams

Not installed:

Lokar throttle cable and pedal

Bought and paid for but still in shipping vortex

fender mirrors

seat cover

dark blue seat belts with airplane latches

shifter boot

That is a sweet looking truck.

Just curious on the indexing of the torsion bars. How many teeth (splines did you move them. Getting reddy to help a friend next Friday do his 70 521. He has the 3" blocks in the rear also. How does it drive & feel after the indexing?

wonder if the GM sending unit is wired backwards.

if the gauge works but just is backwards output. Then mayeb it was mislaboled

i think 2 1/4 is way to big. No back pressure. But it it LOUD?????

Im thinking of even getting rid of my Super Turbo. Its only a 1/75 but since I put a 38/38 DGES on ther eis a rump on it it gets loud.

I like the down pipe? How much to make that?

I'm going to fiddle with the sender when the tank is lower maybe I will get lucky.

Agreed 2 1/4 is too big, did alot of research, talked to a few a people, thought it would be better for future upgrades but it is way too damn loud, obnoxious, no back pressure at all, the glass pack isn't helping things either, I'm probably going to get a supertrap and see if that makes up for it.

Whats worse, i did the math for my new wheels/tires and it gives me a 4.92 rear gear ratio, combined with the 4 speed = very loud and really slow.

The header pipe cost me $100, Ed's Muffler here in Milwaukie/Portland, and they didn't charge me extra when I needed them to tweak it because when I measured it I had the torsion bars out. Doh!

this is only my opinion.

I would go 2 inch and run s Turbo muffler with like 2 or maybe a 3 chamber THRUSH(cheap). Chery Bomb 2s are turbo style also and have small sizes from JC witney. Dont know if they rot out as I have not run one on my 521,I did on my 510 when I was young but Of coase it wasnt loud enough back then for me. I went with a Supertrapp. That too was a cool loud but at speed the resonace would get old. My wifes boyfriends like it cause they would hear me comming down the road and bail out the window.

But like I said I got a Dynomax SuperTurbo. Very good muffler. Mine is a 1.75 size but they dont make thay anymore.

I know your muffler was going to be loud as most glaspack are more of a rosonator than a real muffler. Maybe can get away with it on V8s But a weber DGV just doesnt fill the volume up on those things.

As for the tires.

My 521 I have 195/65/15s. I think this was a common Honda accored tire which poel could get cheap on the used market. Next time I get tires for my 521 if i dont go back to the stock rims is get a 205/70/15 to make the tire taller since the lower gear ratio of the 521 and to fill up the wheel well. Since I to only have a 3 inch drop.

You see some people with 195/50/15s on 521 but you really got to slam the truck down to get it to fill in the wheel wells.

Ed, also since you used the Postive offset pathfinders you might have to clear more of the shock plate in back if getting a wider tire. Well anyway my wheel weights were hitting.

another note I had the belltech 3in 2deg lowering blocks installed. the 2 deg is not to preload the carrier bearing. Some people riase the carrier bearing up a little with a spacer.Datto510 knows this

• Like 1

Thanks for the input hainz, I'm at run what you brung stage right now. Hope to be able to redo the exhaust soon but its going to be a while in all honesty, have a couple things on the slow boat from thailand , but am pretty much tapped out. But Hell its on the road!

I can't wait to change out the wheels, truth be told, I freaking hate chrome. Alas they were the the impossible to say no to price of $0.00.