My new toy truck

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those wheels look great on that truck, I have to show you pics of the one I have. This build makes me want to get it running again. Is it gonnna make it to this years JCCS?

Thanks, Carlos. Post the pics on this thread, I'd like to see it. My plans are to bring it to JCCS this year. Maybe Koji will have to put me on the edge of the Toyota's near the Datsuns. :lol: We will see what happens. I'm still working on the mechanicals and the not-so-fun stuff but it seems to be on track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lawrence, I accept your dare and if all goes well we will be making the trip in September :D

I've been dialing in the suspension and such lately. Had some Doetch Tech Nitro Slammer shocks laying around from a previous project. Did some measuring and they will work for my front suspension. One problem- I needed a stud on top not a hoop. Well in true Ratsun form, I cut the hoop off the top of the shock and welded a grade 8 bolt an viola- usable shocks!

IMG_0896.jpg

When I need a break from other stuff I've been slowly removing the black spray paint the PO painted all the body lines with. I cleaned up the hood as well bringing out the beautiful patina. I'm just using lacquer thinner with a Scotchbrite pad, then following it up with a paint thinner rinse. I will probably polish it up somehow but I'm planning to keep the original patina look.

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I went on a junkyard hunt for a 74-77 pickup to see if I could change my front end to discs. Did not find what I was looking for so I decided to get new shoes and make the 4 wheel drums work and get her on the road.

Well, I finished dialing them in yesterday thanks a lot to Mklotz's 521 Drum Brake tutorial. Changed the points, condenser, plugs and wires. Need to time it. Nothing picture worthy at the moment but I am one step closer. Wanted to get it out and drive it up and down the street today but it just snowed 4" last night. Crazy weather.

I did get the grille back in so when I get it out of the garage I will shoot some more oics. Can't wait to drive it.

One step closer! Got it running well and out of the garage last Sunday. Brakes are working good and I was confident enough to take it out to a nearby gas station and put in a few gallons. Feels great having it on the road. I have heard a rumor that 40 year and older cars do not require safety and emission inspections here in Utah. If its true, I'm going to try to get it registered this week. I still have little things to dial in like the wipers (I don't drive it in the rain) but other than that its roadworthy. I was worried about it passing because of its ride height but I may not have to worry about it now.

I gave my son the camera and he documented the fill up. :D

DSCF5842.jpg

DSCF5846.jpg