My new toy truck

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! Just took it on its maiden voyage yesterday, about 15 miles with sedition88 and his 620. We went and saw a buddy of his and got everything worked out. The Hilux did great. It was fun getting it out on the road. As always, a few issues to dial in but plenty reliable for around town break in.

It is true: registering it as a vintage vehicle exempts me from safety and emissions for life. Living in Utah has its advantages sometimes. Heading to the DMV next week :hyper:

Here are a few more oics:

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

I left my rear vintage plate alone but I modified my front one. A while ago I found an original 1971 Utah registration sticker so I put that on the plate. I created the rising sun, month 6 sticker (the truck was originally built in June) and the 'vintage Japanese' lettering and had them printed on white vinyl.

DSCF5927.jpg

Drove it all over town yesterday including Cars and Coffee with sedition88's 620 and another friend's '91 Civic wagon.

DSCF5863.jpg

DSCF5884.jpg

DSCF5900.jpg

As soon as he finds some smaller tires we will drop the 620 in my garage. Looks a little high next to the Hilux :D

Thanks, Abe. An 18rg would be way cool but I agree with you on the brakes. Its scary enough with the front drums and the 8rc. From what I understand the 74-77 discs are a direct replacement. The 78-83 discs/spindles will work if flipped left to right due to the steering arm being in front vs in the rear like the older models. I have found several 79s here in town but I'm holding out for the 74-77 generation at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Bags 2.0 - Let's try this again.

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

As you know, I had gone to all the work to get bags up front and then abandoned that project when the urge to 'just get it on the road' was too great. I liked the static stance but the location of the lower control arms caused them to hit lots of things before the tires. I know some people drive their cars 1" off the ground but me, I like a little more space. As the bags sat on the shelf, I thought why not try it again and less than 2 hours of work later...

Now I need to make shock mounts, work on some simple air management and take some better pictures :D Also, I need to drop the back a little more but that will be easy because there is plenty of room.

The bags give plenty of lift and when aired out, all the crossmembers are less than an inch from the ground. Just where I want it. I want it to look more like a slammed car than a typical 'railed' mini.

I will be bringing it to JCCS this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the truck. Can ya get it a little lower? :lol:

I can actually, but I'm done now. :D

Dropped the back down another 1/2" and now I'm truly satisfied. Good thing because I can't even put my finger under the middle crossmember when its aired out.

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

My son grabbed some wire the other day and wouldn't let me see what he was making till he was done. He fashioned one of those Japanese teardrop symbols for the truck. I love it and it fits the rat theme perfectly. I will display it proudly.

IMG_1344.jpg

The truck is running much better after some good dialing in sessions. Corrected the timing and I cleaned up the carb and fabbed new manifold gaskets for it and that helped with some vacuum leaking I was having at the base. I have to address the intake manifold to block gasket next but it runs better than ever. I even put the patina-laden stock air cleaner back on. Even cleaned up a little, the stock 8R-C is nothing much to look at.

DSCF6061.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

Since the truck was originally white, I sanded off the blue on the Toyota on the tailgate to give me instant white letters.

DSCF6237.jpg

DSCF6236.jpg

Next on the list is to do some searching for a pair of tiny shocks for the front and a simple manual air management system.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my air management system in. Just a simple set up. Viair 275C compressor and 2 gallon tank. manual paddle valves in the radio hole. Works great. I notched the seat support to clear the tank. Everything is hidden behind the seat. I'm pretty pleased and can't wait to play with it some more. Now on to the the front shocks, clean her up a little and off to JCCS next week.

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

^ Thanks! I'm trying not to scream the fact that its bagged. Sort of make you wonder but not really. And I want it to be more Classic Japanese than 'bagged mini' if you know what I mean. I did some measurements of tanks to make sure I could hide it back there. There's not much room. I just wish my seat actually folded down. Time to start searching for one that does.