my 620

BEEBANI

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason thats looks awesome. So basically you took a 720 lower arm & grafted it onto the 620 one? The uppers look totally custom..how hard was it to fab? How did you take measurements for the uppers? And other than the tie rods was there anything else that didnt line up? Seeing your work makes me want to do the same w/ some HB control arms i have in the yard. Are they basically the same as 720 arms?

Jason thats looks awesome. So basically you took a 720 lower arm & grafted it onto the 620 one? The uppers look totally custom..how hard was it to fab? How did you take measurements for the uppers? And other than the tie rods was there anything else that didnt line up? Seeing your work makes me want to do the same w/ some HB control arms i have in the yard. Are they basically the same as 720 arms?

Actually I grafted my custom arms to the 620 arms. The 720 lowers didn't have what I wanted and would've taken too much time to modify. Everything else lined up fine. Mark, I laid the 620 hub assy and the 720 hub assy on a table side by side and measured from the hub face to the pivot points and figured out my lengths of arms based on that. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest update: Pulled the motor out, and going to paint the engine bay. I'm thinking I'm going to paint it black, the truck's gonna be 350Z blue someday.

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

I think the motor is already sold, put it on ebay last night for $250.

I should have my ka and 280z tranny on saturday via slodat....thanks Steve!

Guest DatsuNoob

Yeah man, nice work. That's a real thing of beauty, I love how the frame and rear end look so new and clean against the old, rusty cut out bed. When the bed and cab were off, I couldn't help but be reminded of when I used to play with Lithium-ion powered XMODS with the bodies taken off for more speed. Looks good though.

Well, I bolted the 280zx tranny to the ka, seems to fit fine. I'll have to clock the motor over to the pass side a little, but not bad.

280TRANS-01.jpg

280TRANS-02.jpg

Dropped the motor and tranny in the truck, front sump pan clears fine. Haven't bolted anything in yet. That'll be tomorrow.

MOTORIN-03.jpg

MOTORIN-01.jpg

MOTORIN-02.jpg

Lot's of work, bend shifter then the motor mounts would have to be changed too. Or change the front half of the transmission case with one from a Z or KA series. No mater what you do, there's fabrication involved and the tranny will look funny. This works fine, I think.

The KA front half won't work- they didn't make 71B series KA trannies. The NAPS-Z one of course will (as long ias it's a 71B, I don't THINK the 71C will work) and that doesn't look funny, putting a 280ZX rear half in a 720 front case looks exactly like a 720 tranny. AND it has the proper orientation. No fabs there at all.

Oops, that's right, jeff had to drill out the shift rod holes or something to get the KA 'bell' onto the Z tranny. BTW, jeff said he would post how he did this (HINT)

The 'C' suffix only means the shifter is retained with a circlip and is a top loader, doesn't it? 'A' rubber mounted (monkey motion), 'B' solid cross pin w/ plastic bushings.

And again, lot of work to save tilting the motor a mere 5 degrees. The tranny fit perfectly, and I'll be able to get at least 5 bolts in it which is better than the stock 620 5-spd which used 4 bolts to mount it to the L20b. I have to make motors mounts any way you look at it. That's the least of my worries, finding a fuel pump and getting the wiring done is the bigger issue!

That's the least of my worries, finding a fuel pump and getting the wiring done is the bigger issue!

Hey I thought that was my worry?

I used the Nap-Z bell bolts on perfect, I say you should get one. it saves a lot of fab work and makes everything line up factory :D Here is a pic of me and Tagen doing the bell swap. He is the guy that showed me how.

tagannme.jpg