your fav music artist

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) is one of my all time favorite:)

Laredo tornado.

Day three is barely 4 hours old and you're 2,000 miles from home and 800 more to go. The sky is red in the east and you've had less than ten hrs of sleep on this trip. The CD changer is set to random.... Dark Side of The Moon begins.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/nondatsun/74sunset.jpg[/img]"]74sunset.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

My favorite artist is me...

meBearinLaHonda.jpg

Just kidding. But really I would rather lister to me play than recordings that sound the same every time you listen to them. Not to say I don't have a huge collection of vinyl, CDs and mega gigs of iTunes. I just don't listen to any of it any more. Live music is where it is at for me.

I have seen a lot of stuff this year already. Some of the cats that stick out are like Lukas Nelson and his band Promise of the Real. I hate to even say that he is Willie Nelson's son because he is a badd guitar slinger in his own right!

LukasNelsonPromiseoftheReal.jpg

There is a young guy that blew me away this summer named Ben Rice. He is from McMinville, Oregon. This kid is the real deal. I have been buying tickets and standing in line for over forty years. I have seen a lot of music in my life to say the least and I know when somebody has the chop. Ben's got it.

P1010504.jpg

BenRice2.jpg

OK, so my all time favorite artist is John Coltrane. Trane took music in directions and influenced so many artists in ways that nobody else might ever be able to do. That's not just my opinion but pretty much fact. But Trane is dead, so that leaves me with my only link to Trane, the Maestro McCoy Tyner. I have seen McCoy about a hundred times in the last forty years. He is always incredible and has never let me down.

I do volunteer work for the Portland Jazz Festival and I got to pick McCoy up at the airport and drive him to the hotel, sound checks, the concert and back to the airport. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. I got to meet one of my all time musical heros and a world class legend. I got to have a series of intimate, one on one conversations with him over two days. He is one of the most humble, gentle people I have ever met. He was so willing to tell me stories about when he was growing up and all the legendary artists he has worked with. Maybe the best for me was that I got to thank him for all the music he brought into my life and how much it has meant to me.

I remember seeing him in his prime, at the height of his powers back in the late '60s and through the '70s. McCoy had lightining bolts coming out of his fingers and total command of intersteller space. He looks like somebody's grandpa now and it is hard to imagine that the sound he makes comes out of that old man. There are but a few people on this planet that can share a stage with him. In fact, some of my favorite memories were his solo performances. For me that is the test man. Can you come out on stage all by yourself and capture and audience's attention for a whole set?

meandMcCoy2.jpg

meandMcCoy1.jpg

When wrenching I usually rock out to some of these music heavyweights:

"girl you know we're through"

b-milli-vanilli.jpg

or

"drop the zero and get with the hero"

icelfi1104_468x762.jpg

or

"word word"

MC-Hammer.jpeg

or

"...and now a song from a gay guy"

rick-astley.jpg

or

"rico....suave"

Gerardo_002.jpg

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed"

"Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed"

— Joe Strummer

"If I had five million pounds I'd start a radio station because something needs to be done. It would be nice to turn on the radio and hear something that didn't make you feel like smashing up the kitchen and strangling the cat. "

— Joe Strummer

lol:lol:

Wish I would have spoken more with the man when I ran into him on Melrose back in the early 90's.

He was sitting on a fire hydrant on a corner and just filiming stuff with an 8MM camera. I just walked up to him and asked if he was Joe Strummer and he said yes and stretched out his hand and asked my name. We talked about what he was doing, a little about the Clash and what he was currently up to and that sort of thing. I shook his hand again and told him it was a pleasure to have met him and I wished him well and he did the same. I was so awestruck at how easy going he was that I totally blanked out on asking for an Autograph! But, then again, meeting him was good enough.

RIP Mr. Strummer and thanks for everything.

my wife has a friend that was good friends with joe strummer and he was telling her that he was like that all the time would just start talking to anyone that would walk up and introduce them selfs to him