i just got BAR Reffed in my car!

So very not in a happy mood cop pulls me over after seeing me down the street, i went around the turn and accelerated and since that part of road always sees traffic it has those nice ripples and of course my tires chirped over em. I pull over and he has me pop my hood. says i need smog equipment and a cat.

wrote me up for

vc 27150(a) loud exhaust

vc 23109© exhibition of speed (really.....!!! my tires just chirped!!!)

vc 27156(B) Modified Smog Device

Now my car is pre smog, that is determined because my car is pre 1976...

So what the hell? was this guy trippin or am i going to have to put smog equipment on my car like it is a 95 240sx like the dude said.

help me!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kalifornia is bankrupt! So every attempt will be made to bring money in. Every doughnut eating prick is under pressure to hand out as many fines as possible. You may only be exempt from smog if using the original motor. Research this.

Take pictures of the ripples and explain how an LSD works. Argue that the muffler is not loud. When ever possible fight the ticket. Clog up the court system! Make them earn your precious money! You couldn't pay me to live there. :D

I pull over and he has me pop my hood.

WHY did you let him do that???

not guilty! dB meter to measure the sound? get one!

opinions are just that.

if in court, ask if his hearing was tested recently. (i used that when i got 3 in 1 day on my MC)

you basiclly screwed on the exibiton, but 50/50 that he'll show.

IF the ref agrees that u swapped a motor you MAY be required to have it meet the smog req for that motor :mad: regardless that the car itself is exempt.

you need to convince the ref that its a stock motor (who cares if it 20 years newer and from a diff nissan, most DMV people wont know the diff)

opinions are just that.

if in court, ask if his hearing was tested recently. (i used that when i got 3 in 1 day on my MC)

you basiclly screwed on the exibiton, but 50/50 that he'll show.

IF the ref agrees that u swapped a motor you MAY be required to have it meet the smog req for that motor :mad: regardless that the car itself is exempt.

you need to convince the ref that its a stock motor (who cares if it 20 years newer and from a diff nissan, most DMV people wont know the diff)

i didnt know i could refuse to pop my hood, ive heard both ways on that.

Sooo i can run a carbed no emission no cat polluting l series that came in my car but not a fi motor that prob puts out 300% less emissions.

I hate this state. I think im going to weld another muffler on the tip of my car so it is mega quiet, and get that done, im just worried about the ref ticket.

1. thats like consenting to a search of your car

2. if he did not use a dB meter when he pulled you over he has no evidence, check the local law.

in OR its 94dB and i got pulled over for exhaust, the cop didnt use a meter and just said it was too loud. no meter no proof.

I came to court with a fully prepped case (i had a few other minor indiscretions on that ticket too :P), and walked away with everything dropped (even tho i was guilty as sin ;))

come prepped and know your laws

fight that you can win he is right you are required to have smog equipment on it but the fact that it is smog exempt its your biggest wepon i know you have people to back you up on how loud the car is use the efi motor and make one of your arguing points that this motor is cleaner hence the reason for the swap in the first place take pictures of the road where your tires chirped all of this can be excused with enough evidence fight them dont give in the very worst thing you will have to do is put the smog crap back on then once the ticket is clear take it back off

Yeh California sucks when it comes to stuff like that. From what I know, even though your car is "smog exempt" it still must posses all the factory smog equipment......they just don't test it. Hence the "exempt" part. Second, I believe if you swap the engine technically the vehicle must have all smog equipment from the year of the engine....not the car. It's a total pile of crap, even though your car pollutes 90% less than with the L-carbed engine, they just want to find ways to stick it to you.

Here in Arizona they wouldn't even open the hood because my car (1971) was so old. Now we have a law stating that if you have classic insurance, you no longer need to get tested.

the referee station in cal has lost its funding ,, do some research ,, tell the judge that you had a oppointment to get smog certified with this lower polluting eng combo,, but the state has discontinued this service,, the smog ref in rancho cucamonga ca, is where im friends are haveing problems getting there cars though this process ,,but get a carbon canister and make it look all legit,,and take a few grainy photos,from alittle far away,, and some more so close that you cant make out the details of the eng,,

I didn't know about that engines had to have their smog equipment based on their date of manufacture. I will have to check if MAss has that law. It sucks here so I bet they do.

What about all those fenderless hotrods? Just claim the engine was a pre smog if it wasn't?

Though I was just told that pre 96 cars don't need to be smogged here any more! (Or was it 92?) Either way, that is the best news we've had on the collector auto front in years! Now my 89 Suzuki swift is exempt!

uh, yeah don't consent to a search, so he can call up the towing co. he'll likely claim the car as evidence, so you can't get it back right away. you'll be screwed with a huge storage bill and they'll likely damage the car in the process. plus any parts removed from the yard guys to put on ebay. that's a great idea

Edited by Burabuda

He cant just tow your car for refusing consent to search he has to prove PC prior. If he doesn't you have a case to sue them for any time and cost incurred.

I know that way easy to say and really hard to do too. Just saying people shouldn't cave because they fear the gears of the legal system. They are supposed to be OUR gears.

Edited by 72240z
Justice system is a myth lol

not its not.

its sitting in the corner of my garage ;)

a110138_lge.jpg

mines an ol louisville slugger with electrical tape grip :D

past that, ya pretty much. esp if you drive a car in good ol kalifornia