Considering joining armed forces...which branch?

I've been seriously considering joining the armed forces lately and I was wondering on opinions as to which branch to join. I am mainly thinking of going into the air force or the navy. I am not looking for something that puts me on the front lines (call me a pussy if you want), I am more looking for something that I can utilize some of the skills that I have in terms of welding and fabrication.

I know many of you are in or have been in the military so what do you guys think?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not go to college first then the military if you still want to? I know right at graduation time I was bombarded (pun not intended) with all kinds of military officer spots in nuclear subs, ships, etc since I had an engineering degree. Although I didn't join the armed forces I still work very closely to them (AF).

Why not go to college first then the military if you still want to? I know right at graduation time I was bombarded (pun not intended) with all kinds of military officer spots in nuclear subs, ships, etc since I had an engineering degree. Although I didn't join the armed forces I still work very closely to them (AF).

I'm in the middle of a degree in Manufacturing Technology (I like to call it hand on engineering) right now at Chico State. It is just not working out. I would plan on finishing once I am out of the military. It would be nice to be able to support myself through school and not have to burden my parents with tuition and such.

Guest DatsuNoob

I hear you there, that's why I never completed the motions. My recruiter signed me as a Gunner's Mate back in 98-99, then tried to switch me into being a diesel tech and getting stuck on a tugboat. I was like FTW, not gonna be me who gets screwed, I wanna blow shit up, not gonna work in some dark, dirty, cramped, engine room. I got sworn in, came home early, and got a job.

AF and Navy have the best schools.....depending on what you want. In the AF....at least when I was in, you have a job and you play soldier now and then. In the Army/Marines, you play soldier all the time and get to work your job at the same time. In the Navy....when you're out to sea, you're "in it" 100% of the time....there's no escape, break, or change of scenery.

Are they still testing? You first have to score high enough to qualify for what you want. Do they still have delayed enlistment? You might have to sign up and wait for months to get a job you want. If you're in a hurry to get in, you pretty much have to take what they give you.

Dude Go in the airforce and get stationed OVERSEAS as its more slack!!!!!!!!!!!! Then its OK.

I only remember the good times now but forget about some idiots I had to work with. Best to do it young than older .But if I knew what I know now I would look like a genuis.

Take your asvab test ,try to get a job title. Now search the AF enlisted sites for jobs.

And remember get stationed overseas. As my buddy got statione in Langly Virginia and all he did was work 12 hr days 7 days a week for like 3 years.

In germany I had 3 weekends duties and I was there 3 yrs so its a big difference.

I would do it again. But I worked on the flightline on F15s and its gets COLD. Best to find a inside JOB.

If you want to be a hero in the airforce sign up for Pararescue, Combat Conntroller. Or a TAC P Controller. Or a Aerial Gunner on a Helicopter or AC130 Gunship(remember no parachutes)

here are some photos of the highlight of my life, my incentive flight in Zaragoza,Spain

Coast Gaurd is good also as mention below but I get see sick and stuck on a boat is not my thing. I hear those Boats are Birthing Centers as in the Navy

Capt Geddes,Heinz Zaragoza,Spain_thumb.jpg

F-15 Back seat_thumb.jpg

Italy Sardinia F-15_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

IMO people should not join any branch of the military thinking they will be safe from the "front line". In the times we live in the "front line" is joining any armed forces... hell the "front line" is being American for all the extremist care. All my thing is... don't go into the military with that mentality. If/when the shit hits the fan... you'll be on the front line.

Want skills training without being on the front line? Go to college, dude.

BTW: Former Marine Corps here! :)

I'm in the middle of a degree in Manufacturing Technology (I like to call it hand on engineering) right now at Chico State. It is just not working out. I would plan on finishing once I am out of the military. It would be nice to be able to support myself through school and not have to burden my parents with tuition and such.

I understand what you mean about burdening your parents. That's part of why I quit school to get a full time job. I had taken the first two years for a Mech. Engineering degree. I had all but one of the classes to apply to the engineering program. I thought I would go back too. That was 1992. I still haven't. I have a small business, and I like what I do, but if I could go back and finish school I would do it in a second.

Not sure how old you are, but the decisions you make when you are younger will have the greatest affect on the direction of your life/career. I was also in the military although I was a reservist (USMCR). I enjoyed it, but I would make finishing school my priority.

That's just my opinion. Worth what you paid:rolleyes:

I can only speak from personal experience, but I feel the USCG is the best way to go. I guess it boils down to this: Do you want to work toward killing people, or saving people? The CG has many missions other than lifesaving, and we do have personnel in the thick of things "over there" right now, so don't think you will just be off OUR coast. I dunno, I think coasties have a different mindset than the other branches, and I know I loved it. I did my 4 years active, and am still in the reserves. I have used up my GI bill, but being in the reserves they still pay for my tuition. I have gotten an AA, an AS and am one year away from my BS.

coast20guard20cutbacks.jpg

Seriously consider switching to an Engineering college with Air Fore ROTC to finish your degree first. You are going to be a Junior and so eligible for advanced ROTC full scholarship. Call any local college with AF ROTC and see if they will take you into advanced ROTC without having gone through the first 2 years before you tell your current school "goodby". 3 years as a Lieutenant beats the hell out of 4 years as a junior enlisted if you have the college background. College for senior enlisted is definately required, but you have 14 years to get to that point. With a Manufacturing Technology background you would be a perfect fit for the Space and Missile Systems unit at Los Angeles Air Force Base El Segundo CA or any of the Aircraft systems offices at Wright Patterson AFB Ohio. I am a retired AF LtCol who got his commission through AFROTC.

Even Coast Guard can end up on the "Front Line". It just depends on where you get stationed, which you have no control over.

I was Navy, signed up for the Nuke program but washed out (stress issues), and ended up in the worst possible situation- unrated, untrained, no school, deck department. But through sheer luck and a little help I ended up as an Engineman, and boat engineer.

With Welding skills in place already you MIGHT be able to get a guaranteed school, BUT... Always get that in writing and in your contract, or it won't happen. That is true of ANY branch. A high ASVAB score helps in this regard, but preexisting skills can too. I know that the Navy will push folks into an "Apprenticeship" program... claiming that you can try different jobs... DON'T DO IT. That's the bottom rung, and you get railroaded into the worst ratings possible that way unless you are extremely motivated to put up with the crap needed to switch out.

For "Sea" ratings in the Navy, the only one that involves welding it "Hull Technician", which is a shipboard rate that's somewhat a misnomer. While it does involve some welding, the job is mostly plumbing- hence why we called 'em "Shit Chasers" (always finding why the toilets backed up).

For "Air" ratings, Aviation Structural Mechanic would probably be a better fit for someone with fab background. In fact, while Airdales take a lot of flak, it may be the best bet to go Aviation.

SeaBee ratings are fairly hard to get into, and are mostly construction related. And they do end up on the front lines, building stuff in war zones.

yes definitely go AF ROTC!!!!! i was a jet engine mechanic in the AF reserves, then switched to active duty army as a unit supply guy, all just to get out of portland and get a secure full time job.

stay waaaaay away from the army, i loved every minute of the AF and i hate every minute of the army. every branch has a different working mentality, my work calls me at 9pm sometimes demanding that i come back to work..

like everybody else says, think about your job long and hard before you sign, you'll be committed to it for that contract.

You can have a LITTLE control over where you are stationed. I know people who have got guaranteed "districts" out of boot, which puts you in a certain geographic area. Like I said, CG is in the thick of things over there, I have a few friends building sand castles right now. And being a reservist, i am just waiting for the call to drop everything and go play, or when the next hurricane hits to go there. If you know what you want to do, get a guaranteed A school if you can. But like they say, "choose your rate, choose your fate". Of course this all applies to the CG, I don't know how other services are. Then you have to decide if you will be happy as enlisted or want to be an officer.. so many choices.

Almost forgot! The Coast Guard Academy in Groton Connecticut is 100% admission by "Best Qualified" test, no Congressional appointment BS. You already have 2 years, but that would not be held against you. Can't beat the Summer cruises on the Eagle tall ship wind jammer either.

I signed up to be an electronics technician or fire controlman in the USN, but I bombed out of school by over-studying and trying to be ahead of my game, i.e. staying up til 3am studying, class at 7am, lunch at 12pm, study class at 1pm until 5pm, study in room til 3am, rinse, repeat. Once I found out I was getting sent to deck seaman school, i.e. no-job shitbag, I was allowed to stay in my class for a week. We had a test in 2 days, and since I was dropped, I sais "screw it, no need to study." Went in, took the test, aced it in 5 minutes, and they wouldn't let me back into the program. 92 asvab down the drain in deck seaman school. Went to San Diego, got on a ship that was going to do a crew swap in Yokosuka in 2 mos., went, brought the old ship back, went through drydock for 2 years. When 9-11 hit, we were next to Long Beach, got orders to go in, get weapons, and protect San Francisco. I made E-4 in the Boatswain's Mate rate my first time taking the test, first increment, with a 99% rate lock, i.e. no advancement, before I was 21. Then, right before the ship was set to leave for westpac, I was at the base club, with my ID, stated "I'm under 21, I'm under 21" and they gave me a wristband anyway, so I drank, and got popped for underage drinking, got released a day before my 3-year mark for "Alcohol Rehabilitation Failure", RE-4 with a JPD. When we declared war, I tried to re-join, but nobody will take me with my re-enlistment code. So, it's more about the choices you make while you're in that count.

Join the Merchant Marine! You can serve your country and get paid very well for it! Ships machine shops, ya know.:D

The gent who just bought my srl311 is a cpt in the merchant marine.

Acta Non Verba and all that. Very nice guy.

As he described it, working at home saying hes on the bridge at the time and getting paid, it seemed like a sweet deal to me. lol

i did 4 years in the navy as a IT (information systems tech).. it was an alright time but the politics and ass-kissery really wore me out.. Now with the economy i almost wish i would have stayed in, guaranteed paycheck and all. My little brother is in right now as an electrician in the Seabees he loves it. It all comes down to what you can put up with i think. That is also rate specific some rates are more lax then others.