Mesh-71

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the front coil-overs loose, and lowered as far as the sleeve would allow. The rear coil-overs from Troy looked great and were easy as :poop: to install. Running 195/50/15 on 15x7 with 0mm offset.

Looks good

Got my front timing covers, oil pan, timing chain tensioners, water pump, thermostat, front main seal, valve cover & high temp silicone gaskets installed on my KA24DE. Will replace the rear main seal when it gets dropped in my 510.

7aee252a.jpg

acddf983.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on rotating shifts this week. Work is getting slow. So with my couple extra days this week I decided to further inspect my new dime for rust. after check the underneath the car for the floorboards (which were spotless btw :D) next step was to look in the trunk.

Tools of the day:

rnRD2h.jpg

Before:

hTD0I.jpg

Found...

6GGEG.jpg

Pitting:

j17Jv.jpg

vurHc.jpg

after about 30 minutes of Naval Jelly and a coarse wire wheel on a 4.5" grinder.

HKkFL.jpg

mTFNph.jpg

First coat of primer:

Yfsfj.jpg

Still not done with it. I put about 3 more thick layers of primer on it and just put the joint sealer on after. I'm going to hit the joints again with the rest of the can tomorrow after it's dry. As for those trunk seals. It's spotless as far as rust goes underneath but you can see the rubber is a bit fucked. I didn't quite know what to do with the rubber so I put it back and used joint sealer over it. I didn't know if that was the proper thing to do but all it needs to do is seal, and I think it's pretty much sealed... Hopefully I didn't fuck myself. What would you guys have done? If that is going to cause headaches in the future let me know and I'll wire wheel the joint sealer back off and I'll fix it.

As for those cancer holes. I didn't quite know what to do. I'm rotating shifts at work as a welder and the 510 needs a bit more work before I drive it. not knowing what to do and the weather still being kind of shitty I just decided to joint seal the holes close for now. until I get it on the road and I can weld up those holes I figure it's the best bet for a short term fix. I still have to go back through it and take the tank out and strip and paint and the same for the wheel wells. Plan on laying dynamat down in it since I have been sitting on a box of it for almost a year. Might as well put it to use. No experience with it so I figure the trunk is a good place to start and practice before moving to the more complicated areas.

Edit: Also, I don't feel this warrants a new topic so I'll put it here. Does anyone know what kind of paints you use to restore emblems. Like the Datsun colored (I'm not a racist) front emblem. Looking for that glossy wet paint look.