Dave's new 510 project L-boosten

Dave picked up a new 510 the other day. It came with some goodies like a 3 core rad, dogleg 5 speed and a L18 with a weber! Dave is the Pull A Part king! He finds subi LSD's, turbo's and all kinds of cool parts. Which he always hooks us up with. Dave has said on quite a few occasions that he would love to throw one of his Pull A Part turbo's on his L motor. Well his other car is super clean LZ22 car, so just throwing something on it would be kinda tough :D So after picking up this car he was talking about turbo's again and I just happen to get some cool old school turbo parts from a buddy :D Well I told Dave I would help him with his carb/turbo setup. Anyways we pulled to intake and exhaust and started fitting the turbo. I'm really excited to help Dave with the turbo setup. It's always fun to learn something new! Here are a few pics of the car and stuff.

sightings%20041.JPG

sightings%20042.JPG

dave%27s%20new%20car%20005.JPG

HHHMMM Super charger or turbo :D

dave%27s%20new%20car%20006.JPG

Test fitting a manifold for another project, I'm building on at work and should have pics up soon :D

dave%27s%20new%20car%20007.JPG

Thats all the pics for now. I can't wait to hear that turbo zin

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the car but ,that airdam has got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff hows my car comming along?

Dude the air damn is sweet! So vintage looking :D

Your car is going slow and steady :D

• 3 weeks later...

Finished up the header tonight, wow headers are way to much work!!! I ended up mud gunning most of it (Sorry Duke I didn't want to be there all night :D) You can't argue with a 3 phase mig welder though :D I did go in through every hole and tiged the insides just to make sure it was somewhat smooth in there. I think it turned out alright considering how much room we had to work with. Can't wait to hear it boost :D

welder%20003.JPG

welder%20004.JPG

welder%20005.JPG

Looks good Jeff. It's funny that you say TIG is to slow. I'm not a very good MIG welder but I bet that I could TIG that almost as fast as I could MIG it.

I was just thinking about this project and how one could make an equal length turbo manifold for an L-series. That would be a bitch for sure, especially with how limited the space is in the exhaust area.

I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together. I've always had a thing for turbo'd L-series.

Looks good Jeff. It's funny that you say TIG is to slow. I'm not a very good MIG welder but I bet that I could TIG that almost as fast as I could MIG it.

My welder buddy has been welding since 68ish and he can tig weld really fast, I still think I could beet him with the 3 phase mud gun. The amount of lava that comes out of that gun is amazing!!! It's funny my other welder buddy asked me why I wanted to tig the mani. I told him I had to or Duke would think I was a pussy :D He talked me into mud gunning it. Which in the end I'm sure tig welding it wouldn't have taken that much longer but I doubt I would have gotten it done today.

I was just thinking about this project and how one could make an equal length turbo manifold for an L-series. That would be a bitch for sure, especially with how limited the space is in the exhaust area.

Yeah wanted to, and tried fitting the pieces but without the engine and the intake mani it would be really tough. I just have to tell myself the SR mani isn't equal length and it hauls ass :D

I'm looking forward to seeing this project come together. I've always had a thing for turbo'd L-series.

Me to, I've always wanted to ride in one. The only one I've ever seen run is Keith's car. I think EFI would be better but I really like learning stuff so why not add a carb'd turbo setup to my list of accomplishments (or failures :D)

I cant think of 1 factory turbo manifold that is equal length, so i dont think its neeeded to make good power.

True, but how often are things tuned for maximum power from the factory. An equal length manifold might make the same ultimate power, but it will help with spool up.