Dave's new 510 project L-boosten

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but how often are things tuned for maximum power from the factory. An equal length manifold might make the same ultimate power, but it will help with spool up.

Spool time is a bitch with a T3 on a l series motor, My l18 didnt have full boost till 3500rpm, Iv heard that using a T25 from a ca18 or sr20 will give fullboost around 2500rpm.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a few updates for you guys. The fire off should be within a week or less. Only a few things left!!! Yeah

turbo%20updates%20039.JPG

The fuel lines are ran, the pump is installed and almost wired!!

turbo%20updates%20041.JPG

The charge piping couplers I ordered fit perfect!!! Always nice when plans work out :D

The biggest job left is finishing the exhaust. Since the waist gate was built into the O2 housing I decided to weld a piece of mild steel to a small part of the original O2 housing so I can mud gun the correct bends to get the exhaust to at least under the car :D That and a few vacuum lines and that bitch will be running!!!!

Hey Duke have you ever Arch welded? I think you will feel a little different about mud gunning stuff if you do. It was my first and hopefully last!!!! One guy in the weld shop calls it 3rd world country welding haha

Hey Duke have you ever Arch welded? I think you will feel a little different about mud gunning stuff if you do. It was my first and hopefully last!!!! One guy in the weld shop calls it 3rd world country welding haha

Haha, yeah, I've done some arc welding. I learned to gas and arc weld before I ever touched a TIG or MIG. My high school welding teacher was adamant that we learned to do the fundamental stuff before learning the other stuff. Believe it or not arc welds can actually look pretty good. Also, most heavy industrial stuff (big buildings) are still done with arc.

The project is looking great though. I'm looking forward to hearing how the start up and tuning goes.

Got a few updates for you guys. The fire off should be within a week or less. Only a few things left!!! Yeah

turbo%20updates%20039.JPG

The fuel lines are ran, the pump is installed and almost wired!!

turbo%20updates%20041.JPG

The charge piping couplers I ordered fit perfect!!! Always nice when plans work out :D

The biggest job left is finishing the exhaust. Since the waist gate was built into the O2 housing I decided to weld a piece of mild steel to a small part of the original O2 housing so I can mud gun the correct bends to get the exhaust to at least under the car :D That and a few vacuum lines and that bitch will be running!!!!

it'll be ready for canby? :D

new%20006.JPG

Well I built that fuel distribution block because I didn't hook it up the same way as Keith did..... I talked to him and he said it "may" work but he's not sure. So instead of trying to reinvent the wheel I just built the correct fitting and Dave installed it. Sung by today and got a photo of the unit in action!!!! For some reason the fitting looks crooked but it's not.... Stupid photo's!!!!

the one i need is 200 bux :( this cheap ass "costless" axle is a pos an im never puttin it in my transmission again, well once i get it unstuck outta there anyway

DAMN!! And that's why im gonna start driving my bug and not my 620! just encase nothing happens to it before the show..

DAMN!! And that's why im gonna start driving my bug and not my 620! just encase nothing happens to it before the show..

I have to imagine he meant the sentra no? axle in the transmission = fwd?? Maybe I'm wrong it's late lol.

You can't rebuild it?

Oh well I only said it because you brought up driving your bug instead of 620 in case something broke, I thought as a direct comparison to a 200$ axle lol. See it's late I'm going to bed....

To start off the exhaust is not squished even though for some reason it looks that way... Must be the angle of the picture.

The fuel pressure is going to be set at 3.5psi but is supposed to raise with boost since the carb is in a pressurized box. So basically the fuel pressure needs to be 3.5psi higher than the box pressure at all times. The design is the same way Keith has had his car for longer than I have been alive! He hasn't had any problems I just think the Volvo pump is a little on the powerful side. This week we are going to do some more experiments to find out exactly the problem.