Dave's new 510 project L-boosten

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To start off the exhaust is not squished even though for some reason it looks that way... Must be the angle of the picture.

The fuel pressure is going to be set at 3.5psi but is supposed to raise with boost since the carb is in a pressurized box. So basically the fuel pressure needs to be 3.5psi higher than the box pressure at all times. The design is the same way Keith has had his car for longer than I have been alive! He hasn't had any problems I just think the Volvo pump is a little on the powerful side. This week we are going to do some more experiments to find out exactly the problem.

Are u using a rising rate fuel reg???

Iv been thinking about doing the same setup as i already have everything needed:cool:

Yeah it is rising rate, we are going off of what Keith in Canada did. After more testing on the Volvo turbo pump we have came to the conclusion that the pump is just to much for the regulator, so we are going to try and find a ZX unit. The ZX pump is a much weaker pump.

Cant u use a holley blur fuel pump?

We only use pull a part pieces to keep cost down :D Pull a part pump 8 bucks :D That added with a few cheep ebay parts which makes the project pretty cheap in retrospect. The main problem with the Volvo turbo pump is that it moves a HUGE volume of fuel. Since we only need 3.5psi at idle so much has to be returned to the tank it's just impossible for the regulator to flow enough fuel. I think with a pump with less pumping power we should be good.

try a b13 ga16 sentra pump, that should be pretty low.. or does it have to be from a turbo?

It just needs to be inline not intank. Dave picked up a zx one from Pull A Part today so we should be good :D

Any fuel pump from a FI motor will flow too much fuel.

Is the pressure reg a malpassi carby rising rate??

Keith has been using an EFI pump for 20 years. The pump just needs to flow a bit less so the regulator can handle it. Since the carb is in the box the fuel pressure will always need to be 3.5psi above the box pressure. Example if the boost is at 15psi the fuel pressure will need to be 18.5psi if not the bowl will run dry. So basically a carb pump won't work.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few pics of Dave cruising the car down the freeway. He came up to Franks place then we headed down to the car wash. Even though it's a Ratsun it needs to cleaned :D

daves%20turbo%20on%20the%20highway%20014.JPG

daves%20turbo%20on%20the%20highway%20017.JPG

daves%20turbo%20on%20the%20highway%20018.JPG

daves%20turbo%20on%20the%20highway%20015.JPG

daves%20turbo%20on%20the%20highway%20020.JPG

It was cool the see the car from a different perspective. The sound that thing makes is unruley!!! Just cruising down the freeway it sounds like a semi truck!!! The turbo is SO LOUD!!! Just wanted to share some pics with you guys. Soon it will have an IC behind the drivers side headlight and if Keith doesn't mind helping explain methanol injection it will have that too :D

O and the clutch that used to chirp second when it was NA is toasted!!! Gotta do some clutch research then see if we have any decent ones in the clutch pile :D

wolfman i have to see this in person!

Dude it roles out pretty good too!!! Way better than I expected. I can't wait to see how good it goes with some more boost :D

what brand riseing rate fuelpressure reg are you useing ,, im have problems finding lo pressure one,, they all seam to be built for FI not carbs

thanks for the help

Are you doing the "carb in box" setup? If so I got all my info from Keith on the 510 realm. He told me that using a holley low pressure regulator with the "high" pressure spring and use a return line with a restrictor. The system seems to work pretty good for what it is. I could take a few more pics if you need them.

• 2 weeks later...