Official Unemployed Thread.

Figured there were enough of us to start our own thread. Vent, complain, talk about the job search or just waste some time out of your new found non-busy day.

I've been unemployed since the end of feb. Everyone keeps talking about how colorado doesn't have it as bad but the problem is all the job openings that are out there are either filled within the first couple of hours or they are asking for a serious amount of experience. I've been in construction for most of my working life with a little bit of automotive but nothing to brag about so I can really apply for the 10+ years of experience considering im only 22.

I've been on unemployment since the middle of march but it's not going to last long, I was unemployed for my first quarter so im not getting that much. I've found a few odd jobs to help out but nothing concrete.

Back to Craig's List.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 months and counting. I was in a construction related/dependent field also. There are NO jobs in the field I was most recently working in. There are jobs out there but I probably fall in the same category as many of the rest of you -- over qualified for the available jobs but under qualified for the jobs I want. The part that sucks is that unemployment barely covers expenses but if I were to take "just any job" I wouldn't be able to make ends meet. I don't have a lot of overhead (I drive a Datsun for example) but I don't feel like losing my house either. Guess I'll just keep looking.

Im in also and Im #5, My job put me on Temp Layoff. Well this is the 4th time they have Temp Laid Off people and nobodys returns after there three months is up. I was a service tech for a company out of Pa but lived in Cali and would travel 10 states to do jobs. I was busy until November and it dropped off big time. I had 5 service calls in as many months. I lost alot with this lay off: Car (gas and insurance paid), Laptop, health insurance, and of course a pay check. Looking but everything I find pay about as much as my unemployment. Which is $450 a week it gets the bills paid but its hard and use to $900 a week (I also take care of 3 kids, a wife and my mother) Good thing the house is paid for. What are you guys getting a week? I know I made more than some at my job but it still sucks.

Edited by 72 327

I'm getting almost 200 a week but I made the choice to move back into my parents house (as much as i didnt want to) just before everything started falling off at work. The 20 hour weeks kinda gave me the hint and my 1 year Lease was up. So i'm only having to pay for insurance on my truck, shop rent and my cell bill.

I haven't had a job in nearly 2 years since I got out of the AF, but Ive got the GI bill and stuff to keep me afloat while going to school. When I need/want cash Ive been doing odd jobs for people and selling stuff that Ive acquired and no longer need want. Ive got minor experience in auto repair and home repair/remodeling. My mom works in a nursing home with a bunch of decently paid, time poor/overworked single female homeowners and I usually get a couple deals off of word of mouth afterwords. I don't charge a lot and I have higher expectations of the end result than the most of the people I do the work for. Its not steady work and comes in spurts but I usually have a couple bucks in my pocket and the bills are paid. If I wanted to though I could stay busy damn near full time. Ive noticed that when I ask more I don't get as much return business. I dont ask for more per hour than the customer makes. The only real downfall is I dont have medical and I cant get a loan for a house.

Im single too, if I had a family and was out of work Id be jacking off in a cup, giving blood, whatever it took to make sure everything was taken care of. My brothers got his third kid on the way, no job, and hes not looking... Every time he stops by I try and get him to take a chunk of cardboard and a sharpie and tell him to pick a corner.

hahahahahahahhaha ya.. well 2 of them arent mine.. they're a pain in the rear i cant really go anywhere or do anything an no one really wants to come hang out altho i make em anyway.. plus i gotta ask her for stuff.. then get bitched at for it yadda yadda ect. would be nice to have my own money again..

im gonna start doin insurance / mortgage stuff.. my buddys settin me up.. basicly my own boss.. he's made a couple grand in a short time so hopefully i can too.. if anyones interested lemme know i might be able to get you hooked up..

hey, if any of you guys decide to join the army tell the recruiter that Forrest G. Hoover reffered you, if you get in right now the chances of deployment are slim to none and you can get the GI bill which lets just say is awesome, hit me up if you have any Q's on the army.

not trying to sound like a recruiter, but the army is actually one of the easiest jobs i have ever done and it pays decent too!

Guest DatsuNoob

For those of you Washington guys, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is hiring like crazy. I'm not unemployed(yet..), but I always have the threat or rumor of a layoff hanging over my head. You can even apply online, which is cool. If I ever get layed off, that's the 1st place I'm gonna look. Good luck guys, I wish you the best, I know its hard out there for a pimp :lol:

hey, if any of you guys decide to join the army tell the recruiter that Forrest G. Hoover reffered you, if you get in right now the chances of deployment are slim to none and you can get the GI bill which lets just say is awesome, hit me up if you have any Q's on the army.

not trying to sound like a recruiter, but the army is actually one of the easiest jobs i have ever done and it pays decent too!

Im 35 and a 4F meaning they wont take me because of medical. So Im double hosed in doing that.

Im 22 and Im milking alot of government tits at once. For many of you, PAY ATTENTION! there is a program called "worker retraining" or commissioner approved training which will allow you to go to school full time and still collect your unemployment, not only do get your unemployment that you would get if you were looking for a job they will extend your unemployment as well. I have been on this program since i got back from afghanistan with the reserves and its nearly been a year. To get this you have to apply and with your INITIAL application (they tell you not to but it will help) send a letter with it explaining what your skills are and how there is no work for someone with your skills either the job market is gone or if the job market is still available then why you cant find work. Also you must select a "degree plan" and explain how this will benifit society and how it will put you immediately to work or atleast make you a better employee over the other guy.

Also if you are already going to school financial aid is free man and ANYONE CAN GET IT!!!! if they deny your financial aid because you made to much money last year, then you file a form called "change of circumstance" you write a letter saying why you dont make what you make last year and that you deserve aid to go to school

basicly i have been unemployed for a year since my return from afghanistan, i pull in 450 a week from unemployment a grand a month from GI bill and 2700 bucks a quarter from financial aid.

I have zero bills rent is paid in full until i deploy again to iraq and im just hangin out doing the 22 and in college thing.

im on the list obviously

theres so much wrong things about the company i worked for i wouldnt know where to start.

sucks, but meh w/e. I had to sign a legal document stating i would not disclose any of what they are currently doing to their employees in order to get my severance check, what kinda shit is that?

first of the year the door shop cut me back to about 20 hours a week(i am the only employee) but unemployment is takin up the slack so i am thankful i can still pay the bills just have to pay attention to how we do it

Which shop? Sherwood? I was running the Alliance shop until they "changed their focus" and I decided it was time to move to the warehouse.

my job offered me 30%+ less a week...

:fu:

so now i got a lil side gig through DSHS $500/mo.

i make the rest of it off classic rice :fu:

so far, its been a very good time. money for cars n bars and i get to sleep in and play with cars all day.

werks out ok for me, heading to summer school to learn to weld pretty.

I got laid off a while ago from Art Design International, the parent company in Canada decided we wernt worth the money and the whole shop went down.

Im lucky enough to be employed now and still getting 40hrs a week. Big business like Boing, european contracts and military contracts, if theres a war there in the market (FTW? or FTL? who knows :confused:)

Which shop? Sherwood? I was running the Alliance shop until they "changed their focus" and I decided it was time to move to the warehouse.

yes sherwood door...i gave you props on your car that one time...and just so you know allliance now only has r.j-jerry and one other guy in the warehouse they shut down the prehang shop got rid of all drivers and only skip matt and mary are in the office