Official Unemployed Thread.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive been unemployed for about a month now which isnt to bad since i havent ran out of money yet... well untill now. ive been looking for jobs but there isnt shit out there. and the f'd up thing is my parents are kicking me out in exactly one month because im 18. im excited to move out and eat top ramen for the rest of my life. hey atleast all my roomates will have 510's=]

I'm on the other end of this dilema. I put a help wanted sign outside my shop over a week ago and the only people to stop in were a 60 yr old Brazilian woman and a fresh off the boat Russian dude that cant read english and doesnt have a green card. I thought there would be tons of guys like yall dieing for work.Ive got a metal fab shop and I need A SHIPPER/RECIEVER and general maintenance guy.Anyone here from the metro west Boston area?

I'm on the other end of this dilema. I put a help wanted sign outside my shop over a week ago and the only people to stop in were a 60 yr old Brazilian woman and a fresh off the boat Russian dude that cant read english and doesnt have a green card. I thought there would be tons of guys like yall dieing for work.Ive got a metal fab shop and I need A SHIPPER/RECIEVER and general maintenance guy.Anyone here from the metro west Boston area?

if you where in the Portland area Id be walking in the door and taking that sign down on the way in.

• 4 weeks later...

yup

for 3 credits (i think 3) it was 230 dollars. That was just for 60 hours of shop time stick welding. Ill have to get a schedule of the welding classes, then talk to the mech shop teacher and see what his schedule is. They used to be free-based so you learned whatever whenever, but the auto class has really grown so now its all scheduled out.

Not sure what i want to take in auto class, i remember a big list of things you could take. Any suggestions? Id like to start working at a shop sometime. Or at least be somewhat smart car guy :D

I know i want to do brakes for sure, i can fix my own but a good knowledge & background would be awesome.

I guess I'll join this... I was lined up with getting a nice job at CAT up in Aurora, IL where I had been working for the last 2 years as an intern. Well needless to say everything came crashing down round december and it was def clear by July that the end of the road was comin. So now I'm spendin my free time (was working at CAT, Doing Side Photography Gigs and Worked nights in retail.) going to school in hopes of finishing my Engineering/Photography double major to get through these rough times in hope that a job will be findable when I get out.

I guess I'll join this... I was lined up with getting a nice job at CAT up in Aurora, IL where I had been working for the last 2 years as an intern. Well needless to say everything came crashing down round december and it was def clear by July that the end of the road was comin. So now I'm spendin my free time (was working at CAT, Doing Side Photography Gigs and Worked nights in retail.) going to school in hopes of finishing my Engineering/Photography double major to get through these rough times in hope that a job will be findable when I get out.

Damn!

Good luck with that. Engineering pays off

Man if you guys didn't mind moving, you should come to Saskatchewan Canada, jobs everywhere, hell there was even a bit on CNN one night that said out of all of the North American States and Provinces, that Saskatchewan was keeping its head out of the water more so than any other place. The oil companies are moving from Alberta to here too.....there stupid premier(provincial leader) upped the royalties on oil export and well the Big Rigs all decided to move here. Starting wages anywhere from $14 to $25 an hour. Lots of farmers looking for hired men too, paying good wages with places to live included. I had a couple of realtives move from Minnesota and they are not going back to the USA and more of their friends are coming up here too. And holy shit for construction up here too.....its everywhere

my grant "award" has not gone thru yet and they dunno if i can get into any more classes. Pretty lame.

Said it can take up to 4 weeks for the award to get here, so i can just try to sign up for the classes i want and blah blah blah. then when the grant goes thru itll pay for it.

Yeah it's def a bummer but hey, what ya gonna do right? So I figgured why not just go get it all done with and hope that the hiring freeze is done by the time I get out. Come in at a higher pay level and not have to do the whole night school for 3 or 4 more years to finish the bachelors.