Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

so it seems this hasnt been updated in like 5 months... i guess life gets in the way...

so my plans to buy a house went a bit wayward.... kinda bought a toyota 86 as a daily :D

got cracking on this the other week and i know i keep on saying this but the plan is to have it regod and on the road by end of june !

no pics yet will have some soon with my speedflow collection when it arrives to be installed :D

Greiggy,

How life in Auz.  I went back through you post and enjoyed the read.  I would enjoy seeing a video of you rollin the country roads in your 620. 

Hard to lose your "things to do list." LOL

charlie buddy its going ok here in aus ... im still alive and healthy so thats a big plus!  hopefully the video on the road wont be too far off i really hope!

the to do list is still here... somewhere !! :rofl:

Bring on the pics :D

pikz will follow my friend :D

• 2 months later...

so a bit of an update - ive been a bit pre occupied with this new purchase as a daily ...

IMG_8208_zpsfe930ac6.jpg

IMG_10011_zps151608c9.jpg

IMG_1049_zps0f810c85.jpg

And Back to the 620...

Made an alternator bracket to sit on the opposite side of the block - steering box is in the way... also dummy fitted GT3076R + High mount manifold...

IMG_1115_zps782455e3.jpg

IMG_1116_zps52dee46d.jpg

bought some sexy fuel fittings and accessories...

IMG_1154_zpse15f35aa.jpg

IMG_1167_zps12a7f4ed.jpg
IMG_1217_zps1ba4dd24.jpg

fitted sexy fuel fittings + accessories + fuel rail with 2000cc Injectors to the dummy block in the engine bay....

IMG_1175-1_zpsd6d8bf7b.jpg

IMG_1176_zps305f6765.jpg

IMG_1177_zps58f75c2e.jpg

done a timing chain, new thermostat, new plugs, fresh filter, gasket kit, basically a freshen up for the SR

IMG_1197_zpsbca82d93.jpg

IMG_1198_zps69716210.jpg

Installing exedy brass button clutch, lightened flywheel and putting the motor into the car - note if anyone is using a lightened flywheel and wants to use ARP bolts make sure you buy the ford modular flywheel to crank studs not the ford pinto studs they are too long and wont seat on the flywheel.

IMG_1238_zps6dc1215a.jpg

IMG_1239_zps32e70172.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsab4aea6c.jpg

also made some aluminium goodies - a washer bottle to go under the guard infront of the wheel on the right side, surge tank which sits inbetween the bed rails above the fuel tank and also shaved a standard sr20 rocker cover of its lumps and bumps and put 2 x -10 an fitting son the top for a catch can. the green paint is the expoxy primer - itll be topcoated black high temp once i get around to shooting colour.

IMG_1289_zpsde7a67e2.jpg

Also put in my nardi classic wheel along with the DZ start - its a handy view of the 'office' so to speak!

IMG_1301_zps81de2c3c.jpg

So as of today it needs some new hardlines for the fuel system, a few more speedflow fittings to finish the fuel plumbing, catch can, wiring the ECU and tuning, Exhaust and intercooler pipes.

bit of an update since its been about 3 months i guess... i am still aiming for the end of june!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so have been pretty quiet on this till recently : 

- started to convert the steering to a collapsible column using all 720 bits - had the standard 620 steering box splined to suit the 720 rag joint, and the mid section joint shortend to suit the 620. Ive got lots of pics of this process just CBF'd uploading them tonight.

- ordered a new ECU so i can tune a bit easier when the time comes - Went with a Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 along with the wideband O2 and controller.

- Scored a total BARGAIN and ended up with a built s13 head brand new with the whole Brian Crower Catalogue + all the biz to install it - old mate had it built for his track car then changed his mind to LS in his s13.

hopefully Christmas ish on the road and going but im not holding my breath!

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so a bit of an update on everything :

A friend of a friend had an S13 with a Built SR20 in it ( Cp Pistons and pins, eagle rods, heavy duty valve springs, guides and seats. Lifters and Tomei rocker arm stoppers. NA camshafts. Tomei Metal head gasket. Acl rings and bearings. Arp head studs. Tomei sheet metal baffled and winged sump.)... and it had only done run in km ( about 400-500km) Which he was parting out - and he offered me the motor for the 620... so i paid a deposit back in March and Waited for the car to come to my friends place to be parted out...

In the mean time i returned the engine in the car to stock ( apart from ARP studs and MLS headgasket) and sold it off along with my spare block. Then i was left with this ...

IMG_0614_zps40604ff0.jpg

So while the motor was out i also converted the steering in the car to have a collapsible column . I took the bits to a machine shop, had them spline the end of the steering shaft near the box, and had my brother machine up a plug out of machining plastic to plug the hole in the machined steering column plate.

The column is from a 910 bluebird which also has height adjustable steering but itll never be used in this instance.  It also needed an adapter plate made to get the spacing right from the factory column mounts under the dash to the new collapsible mounts on the new column, and also the firewall mount needed to be cut and shut to suit the funny oval looking hole in the firewall. 

fast forward a couple of months to a few weeks ago...

I had the phone call to say that the car was at my friends and i was getting my engine... after 3 months of waiting patiently.

we gave the engine a run to check everything was square, money changed hands and then the part out began.

IMG_0631_zpsdd0d084a.jpg

IMG_0632_zps2067d812.jpg

I got the engine and threw it on dads trusty D21 .

IMG_0633_zps51781381.jpg

Once the engine was home it was time to clean it up and get it ready for its new home.

IMG_0667_zps3b64d43f.jpg

Removed the balancer, water pump pulley etc...

IMG_0664_zps5aa602cd.jpg

Dummy fitted everything on the hot side to make sure it was all good.

IMG_0663_zpsd3cf5053.jpg

Installing HD clutch

IMG_0669_zps36c378d4.jpg

IMG_0670_zps47658af8.jpg

IMG_0671_zps28c1ba0b.jpg

Installed gearbox and nearly ready to go into car

IMG_0674_zps0e6e6874.jpg

IMG_0672_zps43fb793a.jpg

IMG_0673_zps414026ca.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsbc0b912f.jpg

the motor in its home - Thanks to Matt and Andrew for the help!!

IMG_0688_zps0e67894b.jpg

IMG_0685_zpsd6df4caa.jpg

Catch Can and breather lines dummy fitted before being sent to the powdercoaters with the rocker cover and plenum.

IMG_0790_zps354851de.jpg

IMG_0786_zps9e554057.jpg

Also been doing some r&d on making up a bracket to hold and run a set of toyota Denso coilpacks. Kit fits and seems to work well from initial impressions.

IMG_0661_zps8c76aea9.jpg

IMG_0662_zpsac915dda.jpg

the fuel system was sealed, tested and ran for an hour to test for leaks- everything was good with only 1 fitting needing to be tightened.

As of today :

the rocker cover, plenum, catchcan are at the powdercoaters - hopefully pick them up tomorrow.

The exhaust system is half done - I'm waiting on some straight pipe, bends, exhaust rubber hangers and the muffler. which i should get tomorrow.

The Ecu still needs to be wired - hopefully week after next that will happen.

The fuel system needs some more fuel hose and clamps to tidy it up and finish it off. Ill hopefully pick that up tomorrow.

The Car needs to be tuned - Hopefully week after next when its being wired it will be done then.

All of the modifications on the car need to be certified. hopefully that will be done the week of the 23rd

Wheel alignment and suspension setup - hopefully the week of the 23rd

Rego and insurance - 28/8/14

Hope it all goes to plan!!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

So its been a month ... the car isnt done but its close!

IMG_0919_zps33c359b0.jpg

Got everything back from the powdercoaters and installed. the engine bay is now finished.

IMG_0874_zps95f1eaad.jpg

IMG_0881_zps8738ed66.jpg

IMG_0962_zpsd3bc38e8.jpg

finished the Exhaust built and installed.. 3" mild steel for the moment and will upgrade to bigger down the track in stainless once the run in is done. Painted black for maximum stealth.

IMG_0927_zpsee6b65c4.jpg

IMG_0932_zps39d24483.jpg

IMG_0928_zpsaec133eb.jpg

Installed a Haltech flex fuel sensor so i can run E85 or anything up to that in the car. 

The tuner is too busy to wire and tune the car at the moment so ive taken the time to redo the rear brake cylinders/ drums/ shoes with brand new units as one of the cylinders let go and has sprayed breake fluid everywhere.

IMG_1032_zps92d7b11c.jpg

Hopefully soon ... Just at the Mercy of the tuner now.

• Like 6