Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[WHINE]

ok so i bought some items off ebay to put in the 620 thailand or taiwanese stuff.

- first being a set of door locks that were keyed alike - thats cool i need a set of keys all matching never had a set...

- second being some inner and outer weatherstrips being an older and rarer vehicle here i assumed NLA from nissan here....

the door locks , whilst the keys fit fine, there is so much play in the lock mechanism at the rear of the lock that the keys wont even lock or unlock at all!!

the weatherstrip, outerside sits too firm against the door glass and while winding the window down it rolls the piece of stripping with it into the window... the inner one it doesnt even touch the glass!!! so much for sealing and holding the glass at a neutral point!!! I ended up ringing the local nissan spare parts place and he can get them... and they werent too much more expensive then the thai ones...

i did use correct bailey channel as well..

[/WHINE]

tomorrow if i remember ill take a pic of the chrome bumper support piece as i had to modify them a bit to fit the intercooler pipes where they need to go...

progress

- have hacked my loom apart ready to start wiring sunday night and all next week

- the greddy plenum should be here tomorrow to trial fit and then i can make a new hard line for the clutch

- have been sanding like crazy one a std dash which i fibreglassed over to get rid of the cracks and uneven spots... so far its been aheadache but should look ok once finished

- got my new fans for the demisters as im not running heater core under the dash

- started making my kick panel cards for my speakers (dynaudio system 242)

Still got alot to go - hopefully the car will be at my buddys place next weekend and we can begin the engine install and ECU wire up.

it is sure getting there redeye... i knew you liked the pics with the cooler in the front... :P

Nice work Greiggy, that intercooler looks like it belongs in there. Come on put the doors & the glass in. and post some more pictures. Man I can't wait to see this completed and watch a video of you driving it with a big grin on your face! :D

small update

NOS door weatherstrips EX JAPAN !!! super excited as never knew they were still available until the dealer got them in for me.

got my intake manifold so its dummy fitted into the engine bay.

mounted booster and brake master - it is off an 85 720 4wd model.

got the nismo locker put in the Diff centre finally and is ready to go into the housing along with new wheel bearings, seals and brake cylinders - this should be done over the weekend.

should have the load sensing valve put on this weekend, the lines all tied up, clean and have them tested for leaks and that by sunday arvo hopefully!!

once that is complete its off to my buddys place to have the engine installed and ready to go

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

;) locker babay yeeaaahhh

half tanked atm having shower then getting on it again.

donr a bit before put the NOS strips in the doors - seks as all sexy

started buggerising around with the proportioning valve.

sat in the car and made BROOOOOOOMMMMM PSCCHHTTT BROOOOOOOMMMMM PSCCHHTTT sounds

that is all..

diff is in the housing and just waiting for a few touch ups paint wise to be done then its being thrown in and ready to go.

waiting on fabricator to come back from holidays so he can do all of the pipework.

need tailshaft and radiator but they will be on their way once the motor is in its new home

damn straight he has got some serious talent for someone who has had minor professional help in welding,fabrication and painting!!!

thanks for the comments as well.. hopefully soon it will be going again and ill definatley get someone to take a movie of it when its running..

• 2 weeks later...

damn straight he has got some serious talent for someone who has had minor professional help in welding,fabrication and painting!!!

thanks for the comments as well.. hopefully soon it will be going again and ill definatley get someone to take a movie of it when its running..

smallish updates

got my ecu mounted under the dash just made a steel brakcet to hold everything that needed to be mounted.

the diff is in and ready to go i just need to get another braided line made as the rear one wasnt done right and broke out

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

HUUUGEEE update...

had my dash RESKINNED from this :

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

TO this :

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

It was done by the guys at dashboard doctor in Melbourne. it was an expensive exercise but well worth the results.

the dashes over here are a 1 piece design ( so no removable cluster like the LHD dash ) which made it quite difficult to do.

They also wrapped the whole top of the dash to the front edge where it meets the windscreen. makes it look alot more integrated i think !!!

whats your opinions?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

wow man just read the whole thing, this has answered so many questions for me, I am doing nearly the same thing to a 78 620 kingcab but mines basiclly mint (was a grandpas) have pulled the j15 out and have begun doing a notch first.

did you have many clearance issues with the sr20, like engine mounts and the exhaust manifold looked a bit tricky.

where are you putting your battery?

any tips you can give with putting the sr in would be fucking brilliant

keep us updated

cheers sean (Tas)

the Sr was a weird engine to fit it is very tight between the steering arm and the front swaybar .

the Exhaust manifold is a custom made 6boost for a high mount so the pipework isnt so tight. The standard mani will work fine clearance wise but i went a bigger turbo so i wanted to have extra clearance.

the alternator needs to be moved over to the other side of the engine. Use an N14 Gti-r complete alternator setup and it bolts onto that side of the engine.

i have spare complete engine mount setup ( using the S13 steel mounts, new rubber mounts and the std rear crossmember modified) which i have kept for a rainy day if your interested in them?

cheers

also have a new update.

got my clutch master cylinder yesterday so i dont have to cut anything off the plenum. the main difference is its length (85mm vs 115mm odd on the standard one)

got my new front handbrake cable so now i dont need to use the old one which was looking worn and had stretched.

reordered a new braided line for the rear line as the one made was a bit too short and ripped apart when i left the diff down :(

currently got my 521 up for sale hopefully it sells and i can buy a radiator, get the pipes made and finished and it should be running soon.

IMG_0158.jpg

old vs new

charlie ill take the cam down and get some more red pics for you :P

That is great Greiggy! I just love the color you chose and I am thinking it might look good on my 520. After all the original color on my 520 was red.

Love what you are doing with your truck.

Thank you Greiggy for sharing the build process with us. :D

hey greiggy this is still looking great cant wait to c it done i ended up doing the same as u i went ca18 drove it for about 2 months then got bored so i ended up going sr on the weekend just thought id mention a couple of things i did because i have my engine sitting in the stock position not forward like yours i just flipped the draglink for more clearance then standard sr20 engine mounts and gearbox mounts and just shortned standard tailshaft and custom radiator

as for the clutch master i used one from a mazda familiar they come out and turn and also use a remote resiviour

wish i had of checked up on this earlier as i made a custom alternator setup i didnt even think of the fwd setup :( that would of saved me some trouble

well sorry if i hijacked the thread i just thought i would mention it

andy