Greiggy's '78 Aussie 620

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some bad news...

the car broke...

the locating dowel on the intake cam shattered out- which in turn has lunched valves into pistons.

the whole motor is out of the car and at the engine builders - it should be torn down this week and then a parts list can be compiled.

to put it in short... im absolutely gutted... life is a cruel thing... gives us a hint of opportunity and then takes it away in the blink of an eye.

ill have a dyno video of its 460hp run when i can work out photobucket...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

so a bit of an update :

the motor is at the machine shop.

the only salvageable is the rods, crank, block, bare head, and 1 cam.

ive got everything to build again, the spec list will be as follows : 

cp pistons and pins + .20'

eagle rods

supertech valve springs + retainers

supertech valve guides

supertech +1mm valves intake and exhaust

tomei solid lifter conversion

tomei rocker arm stoppers

camtech 270deg camshafts

tomei MLS headgasket

ACL bearings

ARP studs everywhere possible

lets see how this one goes :thumbup:

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Update : engine builder has started the motor build.

Hopefully have it back in 2-3 weeks pending nothing bad is found.

Also had my brother put new end tanks on my radiator, the original ones had been modified 3-4 times so it looked like shit and leaked in spots.

i-potato has make the pics look bad...

Plan is to clean it up before the motor gets back and have it ready to go.

12071384_10153015055291249_1364591853_n_

12086806_10153015055376249_453409441_n_z

12077367_10153015055206249_285378956_n_z

• Like 4

what are you gonna do witht he rad support make that section removable?

yeah it is planning on being fabbed up so that we can get the SR in and out if something goes wrong

ha! a bit of forward planning comes in handy now it seems :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

i thought id updated this .... Anyways.. 

Got the motor back from the builder,

it lasted 5 minutes and broke a rocker arm. 

done a comp test and it appears that something has gone wrong during the build...

its back out and now at his place to be torn down, re ringed and get fixed (again).

Not the best situation.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

so Santa bougth me a fresh built SR20 for Christmas...

IMG_4393_zpscd5zeigr.jpg

IMG_4389_zpsklgvnlne.jpg

Got the engine installed and ready to go, decided to do a first start video :

Got everything and installed.

IMG_4400_zpsumiz56gp.jpg

took it for a little test drive around the block.

Took my Dad for a quick spin around the block, safe to say he is shit scared of it... i asked him what he thought and he was blubbering, and stuttering ( my old man is firm and never misplaces a word)  and could only get words out... Them fckin V8 boys had better watch themselves when you get to the track!!!

My Day has been made :)

• Like 7

Thanks Charlie!

I want to get it re-checked because of the bigger valves and new camshafts. Although they have the same lift and duration there could be variances between brand.

Ive been doing a few km in it off boost to run the motor in a bit before i can get it in to be tuned.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

up and downs... the car split the high pressure line that goes between the oil block on the engine and the remote filter mount.. While i was driving down the street..

Its put oil fucking EVERYWHERE...

Luckily the ECU has engine protection programmed into it so when it dropped below 5psi the motor shut off. Hopefully there is no bearing Damage. Wont know until i get a new block and lines.

Starting to think  it might be time to part it out/sell the lot and move on.

• Like 1

That's quite a truck you've built Greiggy, you should be proud! Not sure I'd give up now but that's me, I'm too stubborn to quit.You should investigate the oil line break and find the cause (poor quality/inappropriate material, oil pressure to high, etc). You are almost there! A bit more tweaking and you should be good!!

• Like 2

Greiggy please step away from your truck!  Focus on something else in your life for a while, then after a break from the truck go back fix what broke and decide what you want to do with the truck.

You have put a lot into that truck and it is beautiful.  This truck speaks volumes about you!

• Like 2

its all good, at the moment its not going anywhere... 

got a few new bits on the way to fix it up, then go for another round of tuning and then hopefully driving.

while the parts are coming im planning on taking a break from it. i reckon approx 3 weeks for the parts. 

see how it goes. just the good old rollercoaster ride that happens with builds. 

thanks for the comments gents - appreciated. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_4551_zpsgsgk6do2.jpg

IMG_4546_zpsdocyildp.jpg

IMG_4691_zpsrkckkqdv.jpg

IMG_4694_zpskuxos4kb.jpg

its running and moving under its own power again.

got my oil filter block and lines installed.

waiting on a spal 4" thermofan to mount on the oil cooler, as it is inside the inner guard and doesnt get alot of airflow.

the fan will eventually be temperature controlled by the haltech ECU. At the moment it will be running off my radiator thermofan output ( on at 85deg)

hopefully it will get a tune in the next few weeks or so, then it can go to the track and try to chop some supercars :)

• Like 4

thank you for all the kind words gents.. hope itll make some good numbers when it gets checked up.

i took it for a quick zip around the block and found it has really bad brake pull to the left. my thoughts are pad compromised by the oil that was sprayed everywhere. ( should add it was all cleaned thoroughly before being assembled)

Ill pull the front calipers off on sunday , and give them a quick rebuild with a brand new seal kit.

Hopefully by friday next week ill have some new pads, my fan for the oil cooler, and it booked in for a checkup the following week.

• Like 2