Project "Bagged-in-a-week"

Llittle_Llama

Maybe If i re-phrase you'll understand what i meant..If not, disagree. This is from what Ive seen first hand....

Failure or wear? Any pic's? I love carnage :D

Sry for the slight hijack dwn

Love the camber :lol:

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

only when you wanna drive it at stock height. me i am a tail dragger 30 pounds in the rear and the license plate draggin. I probably woulda mounted the triangulation bars differently then on top of the frame but thats how you learn seeing what works and don't....lookin good though can't wait to see'r done. wheres the pics on the front did i miss them?

heims do wear and worse ther are noisy as hell. failure i have not seen.......you have to remember the forces being applied to the heim are well with in specs especially since its a import truck, not much weight on rear axle, and they dont make a ton of power even modded so the force being applied is nominal. Its not like most baggers are gonna haul 1 yard of gravel in the truck then i would be concerned. I hauled my atva nd a jet ski and have never had an issue other than the racket the make going down the road. Since then its been bushinged fourlinks form there on. the mazda will be getting a new bushinged 4 link when i pull the axle to fix a axle seal.

Hey 2h was that you at golden gardens with your extended cab, traveling with the tan tilt bed and OG yellow 620.....the truck looked lower in person

Hyphy.....I have used heims in my daily mazda and had no problems and it got drove every day for 3 years. And worse I am a newb minitrucker cause i broke out the old opposing direction triangulated 4 link. yeah its hell on u joints but its much cooler when i drag through the gas tank and catch it on fire. yes i understand all the forces being applied in mysituation withthe mazda in reguards to braking force and everything but in all it was just simpler to run it that way and again im pushin like 90 hp at best so i figured it would work best for me. the 521 its up in the air about how i will to the 4 link wanna keep the tank where its at but if it fits ok out back and i still have room for air tank then maybe i will run it 4 forward...:D

Looks good! I'm sure that there is going to be a front cross member, correct? And that pipe fitting on the driver side bag, that is only temporary, right?

Keep at it brotha! You're in Texas right? You should bring to Okie Showdown in OKC June 6th and 7th.

yeah, bags and all will be replaced in a few months, if not days....

Hyphy.....I have used heims in my daily mazda and had no problems and it got drove every day for 3 years. And worse I am a newb minitrucker cause i broke out the old opposing direction triangulated 4 link. yeah its hell on u joints but its much cooler when i drag through the gas tank and catch it on fire. yes i understand all the forces being applied in mysituation withthe mazda in reguards to braking force and everything but in all it was just simpler to run it that way and again im pushin like 90 hp at best so i figured it would work best for me. the 521 its up in the air about how i will to the 4 link wanna keep the tank where its at but if it fits ok out back and i still have room for air tank then maybe i will run it 4 forward...:D

Heims definitely take more maintenance to keep em lasting than some poly bushings, but if you want some crazy articulation theyre batter than poly. Either way, i prefer poly for a daily driver due to maintenance mainly.

Never...ever, ever,ever EVER... do a reverse 4 link (axle to back of frame). Completely counter productive. Sure you may get away with it for a while, but everone who sees it will likely think youre a tool. It doesnt maintain acceptable pinion angles at any point beyond where you set it to. It pulls the axle in the opposite direction it should go.

The reason wishbone type bars are so prevalent is due to gas tank issues. You either have, or can make, a crossmember between the cab and axle that doesnt interfere with the gas tank and use it to mount bars that are centrally located on that cross member out to the wheel ends of your axle. Not idealy for articulation purposes in the same way a reverse 4 link isnt. But the likely hood of reaching those limits is probly rather slim. (When the axle articulates from center (side to side action) the upper and lower bars conflict. The upper will want to pull the axle in before the lower due to their dissimilar arcs of travel.)

man...I can go on and on with bags..lol Its even got me debating baggin my 521, tho Its another system to maintain and point of failure to get me stranded. Also a lil counterproductive to the performance gains of an IRS.

Check out the RHD 720 feature on minitruckinweb.com..pretty clean

Never...ever, ever,ever EVER... do a reverse 4 link (axle to back of frame). Completely counter productive. Sure you may get away with it for a while, but everone who sees it will likely think youre a tool. It doesnt maintain acceptable pinion angles at any point beyond where you set it to. It pulls the axle in the opposite direction it should go.

you read to many mini truckin mag articles. its not never, its just not recommended in certain situations like high horspower or racin apps. there are many schools of thought to why this is. mostly poeple assume its dangerous. its not, the biggest disadvantage is that your pinion angle gets a workout. as long as you set the angle at ride height it fine keep the triangulation bars to the rear as long as possible it will lessen this affect. Sure I pushed the envelope driving at diff heights to see what it would do with adverse pinion angle's, not much a slight vibration when the license plate was draggin on the ground. But for the most part its worked flawlessly for 4+ years. the other concern is the braking force applied to the rear end under hard braking. theoretically under the current payout of my rear suspension two forward , two rear facing bars when under hard braking and the transfer of weight the force applied to the axle should unload the pressure being applied to the tires in braking but unfortunately i never have been able to lose control or even feel the rear break lose in heavy braking. i even got it up to 90 slammed on the brakes and it stopped better than my 1/2ton with 4w discs. couldn't get it to even slide/lock up the rear tires.

I tried all these things because so many told me that it wasn't a wise idea. so far from all my research and testing with my goat mazda. the only thing that was apparent was spending the time gettin the pinion angle correct and it saved me from having to scab the gas tank in a wierd area. on the 521 I think i will try a wishbone or a watts link job to also keep me from havin to move the tank in that too. you have to remember most people dealing with four link technology are either racin or crawlin both of which don't apply to my little 100 hp beaters.

As for heimies joints all they are is noisy and if you wanna hit side to sside go get a pump and some batteries.....all my trucks have been built to sit low and be risen to drive not hit sides...most all my projects are built with poly bushings now so i dont have to listen to all the noise associated with a cool lookin heim......

Let's not turn this into a reverse four link debate. The only thing that they do is hold the truck off the ground, beyond that they do nothing else.

what, not here to debate i wanted to see if i could make it work and i tried it and did. and it worked and works fine to this day........people get all whigged out about stuff they read about. should try it before they take someones word for it .....as for the reverse yes if i was building a crwler or race car i wouldn't use it but i build minis and full sizes and for my mini it worked and worked well. i always tell people use what works best for you.....and in this instance it worked best for me in my situation and i could tell no ill consequences.....as for what you said your wrong...the four link holds the rear end in place centered and the bags keep it off the ground but to be honest i like mine on the ground....:lol:

what, not here to debate i wanted to see if i could make it work and i tried it and did. and it worked and works fine to this day........

Depends on your definition of "works" i guess. Personally I like my trucks suspension to work with my vehicles direction of travel and the forces applied to it under braking and acceleration.

Also a full reverse 4 link can maintain perfect pinion angle so that is definitely the furthest thing from the biggest concern between the 2.

sweet i wanna make sure no one missunderstands, for me, in my situation, for what i was trying to accomplish. it worked fine.....sure if i run 200 ph it might get a little swervey trying to stop but hey what fun would it be if it wasnt interesting.....i could always drop the pressure and slide to a stop on the frame... i call it anchor braking

Edited by jrock4224

REverse 4 link.... /facepalm lol

seriously tho, the toyota under axle frame i had mention/posted before had a reverse 4 to start with. So ive seen it in place. Lets leave it at "Its not the ideal or even 2nd ideal way to do it. It may work for a few, but the engineering/theory of the setup isnt best for the intended use."

If you do a watts link, I really wanna see it. And dont make it look ugly.....lol ugly watts are ugly, sick watts are sick.lol

Sadly no pics of bad heims :(

And side2side action can be fun. Without side action, you cant bust a crazy 3 wheel thru and intersection. Bed draggin 3 wheel in an s10 with a poly jointed 6 link (4 link plus 2 lift bars). been there, loved that.