Now I have a real ratsun.

sean1978

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor has been sitting for 10 years. I'm pulling the 97 KA24DE out of my 93 240SX next week to put my SR20DET in.

I basically have an extra KA24DE with a 5 speed transmission / wiring harness / and ECU.

I'm not afraid of the mechanical aspect of the job, it's the rust stuff that I'm not experianced with.

I'm not going to tear it completley down and restore it at this point. I'd like to fix any problems with the structure rust wise, clean up the interior, make the suspension system work, and put my KA into it.

No! Way more trouble than it's worth! Swap the SR in the 510, and keep the KA in the S13. No emissions means no hassle with smog on the S13 when you swap. Do a supercharger on the KA and slam the SR in the dime.

I've always wished I'd gone SR in the 510 since I finished the swap. Make it happen!

Either way, though, do it right the first time. Take your time to paint things as they go in, it makes the end result SO much better!

If you DO have any questions about the KA/SR swap in general, hit me up. I've done 2 KA dimes now, and I've documented my build pretty well, so I can try to help if you need.

FILL IN THE LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE, PLEASE.

What's the story on this beastie? Looks like a ton 'o work.

slap a rising sun hood on it and its good :fu:

...and a Weber. Can't forget the Weber....

OMG! Post #1500 for me!

Edited by ppeters914
Just noticed 1500 posts

that rust looks borderline between surface and rot if i might make a sugestion got to ace hardware and get a 3m paint and rust stripping wheel throw it on the end of a drill and buzz it down to bare metal that will tell you if it has gon threw or not if it has your going to have to make a patch pannel but if not throw some primer and rattle can on it and call it good for now

No! Way more trouble than it's worth! Swap the SR in the 510, and keep the KA in the S13. No emissions means no hassle with smog on the S13 when you swap. Do a supercharger on the KA and slam the SR in the dime.

CARB? I could put a VH45 in my 240SX with open headers sticking out of the hood and I wouldn't get pulled over for a swap (maybe noise). I live in N.C., we don't have that crap to worry about.

FILL IN THE LOCATION IN YOUR PROFILE, PLEASE.

DONE

thanks for the input thus far guys. So does this thing not look like a complete waste? I thought it looked like it could be bought back, but I won't really know until I get it into my garage. I'm hoping the floor pans aren't gone.

I'm not into half-assing projects, but I would like to make this thing road worthy if possible and not something that gets torn completely apart and sits around for 5 years in perma-project status before it gets sold to the next guy. I'd like to find a nice balance of fixing things without going overboard on this.

If I got it up and running I'd probably end up tearing it down for a full restore in a few years after I was in a more permanent living situation. I'm not a broke college kid, but I could see myself making a career move in a year or two and don't want to be toting a truckload of dissassembeld car at that point.

Nice find!!

Here is my 2 cents, which I'm sure your sick of hearing but I like to type so here goes :D

If I was in your shoes...

I would buff it and do the KA swap, don't get over carried away. Once it's road worth drive if for a while, make a list of all the little things it needs then take it off the road for a month fix all the little things and drive it some more. Repeat this process until it's in great driving condition with all the upgrades you like. That way when you do the restore you will already know the wheels fit, the fab work will be done so sparks won't be flying on your classy paint, all the little things will be done. I say all of this form experience. Doing one giant restore/upgrade is a bitch!! IMO weekend projects are the best!

First things first, get it up on jackstands and take a good long look underneath. Field Datsuns tend to rust from the bottom up. Such as in this picture of the one I drug home to cut up:

510teardown03.jpg

I hope it's not too bad underneath. The floor beneath the carpet in the front still felt solid. I'm going out next weekend to put wheels and tires on it in preparation for getting rollbacked to my friend's shop. I'm so eager to fool around with it.

The side that you can't see is the better side. I wonder why one side is more rust on the outside than the other.

Edited by sean1978
sell the KA and save all your pennies for an RB25det and put that in the 240

Personally if I was going to do an RB series it would have to be in a S30 or and old RWD Maxima.

I'm putting the SR into my S13 because I already have all of the parts including chassis specific intercooler / downpipe / exhaust. I have been planning on this for years.

Here's an action shot of me in my S13 with a KA:

l_9ceebd6158e25842d5c1f4ff29db6555.jpg

I'd also like to keep the 510 N/A at this point. I'm no KA hater, I only have the SR because I have been putting it together since 03 when the KA aftermarket was not as developed as it is today. I'd rather have a KA-T now, but I already have everything for the SR.

I'm sure that my already-fun KA24DE will be a blast in a car that's significantly lighter than my S13.

Edited by sean1978