Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Ol320 Good to see ya.  I am using a 1980 720 harness that has a head light relay in it.  I am running the Hella HB2 Headlights.  when I get it all powered up I will test the amp draw on the lights on low and high beam.  If they are drawing more than 5 amps low 10 amps high I will add relays for the high and low beams.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Daniel C.  I will be running a ground terminal on the frame and that will provide negative to the head, block, and body.  the 720 have a 1/4" braided ground that is on the back of the head and attaches to the firewall.

• Like 1

Still working on the wiring.  I mounted the 521 wiper motor and found the mount I welded in for the AC evaporator is in the way of the wiper arm.  I cut the mount out and redid the mount to clear the wiper arm.

I will be back on the wiring today.

• Like 3

More wiring.  Guam Boy Robit talked me into tuckin the wires in my wires in inside my passenger fender.  I need to raise my coil mount as the master cylinder I ordered has the brake line ports facing the inner fender well.    I have to get another AC boa as the one i have has broken mounting tabs.  I have to go collect one from a trade I did with one of the Guam boys a while back he is back in Guam but his truck is here that he owes me the parts from.

I am waiting on a terminal order should be here Wednesday.

Probably will not get much work done on Wednesday as I have an evaluation appointment at Physical Therapy in the morning and when I get back from that we have to take Darla Rose our Greta Dane to a surgeon for evaluation for possible bone cancer in her right hip.  They are talking amputation of her leg.  But we will see what happens Wednesday.

• Like 3

If it is bone cancer we have decided that we will keep Darla Rose until the pain worsens and then we will have her put to sleep.

Back in 1978 I watched the doctors kill my mother slowly for 2 months treating terminal cancer What a fucked up situation.  She had cancer through out her body bone and blood, her lungs were full of cancer and they pronounce her terminal but they went a head a gave her Cobalt Treatment and Chemotherapy.  My mother died a slow agonizing death.

This is why we have chose to let Darla go with a little dignity and coherence left.

Helped Gene today clean up his garage.

My knee is hurting today so I decided to not work on my truck today.

• Like 4

The Surgeon has given Darla 2 to 4 weeks to live without treatment.  Treatment consists leg amputation and chemotherapy.  Life expectancy after treatment 6 months to a year.  Problem is her heart rate is extremely high so at this time she is not a candidate for surgery.  The treatment was estimated at $8,000 to $10,000 with no complications.

With me being out of work for medical we can not afford to pay this amount for giving Darla Rose 6 months to a year more life.  Also there is no telling what level of life Darla Rose would have after surgery or how long.

This is Helga, when she was much younger.  She lived to 10 and a half years.

Photo-0016.jpg

She started limping, about two months ago, and in spite of my hopes, did not improve.  The Vet also diagnosed her with bone cancer.  That was two weeks ago.   The vet confirmed what I already knew.  Thursday morning, after the trip to the vet, I had another vet come to my house, and after one last slow walk to the barn and back, I held her head, told her I loved her, as the vet administered the drug that sedated her, and put her to sleep.

I miss her, and I am crying.

Look up Rainbow Bridge.

• Like 4

Thank you Gentleman.  I am having a hard time with Darla Rose's situation.  We got her from a rescue at the age of 2.  The first 2 years of her life she was abused.  we received her and had to have eye surgery done on both eyes right after we received her.  She has been the funnest dog we have ever had. she still wants to play but we have to keep here quiet as the ball of the hip is so eaten up that it could brake at any time.  Now at 5 years old we have to put her down.  Damn it!

This is how I want to remember her!

Darla Rose's foster family.

DSC01415_zpsc885806c.jpg

DSC01978_1.jpg

I received the electrical connectors in the mail today.  So I will be working on the wiring again in the morning.  Garage is 135° at this time so sun up I will be working on the 520.

• Like 3

I know that feeling about animals especially dogs. Remember when I had my English Bulldog- Bandit I had to put him down just a few months shy of his 12th birthday. I had him since he was 7 weeks old and it's been a little over 6 yrs. since I had him put down cuz of cancer

• Like 1

Darla Rose is still with us.  She is not showing any signs of pain at this time she is eating what ever I cook for her.  3 scramble eggs in the morning and what ever left over meat from the night before.  She gets chicken jerky strips for treats through out the day and what ever meat I cook for dinner is what her evening meal consists of.  I know this is not good for her but I am going do it.   She has a short time left.

Have not made any more progress on the 520 wiring but I am tucking it to conceal as much as I can. 

Tuesday morning Gene and I are headed to Bullhead City to pick up a 521 roof for Shawn Drawdy's 521 vert.  He is getting cooked here using his vert as a daily driver.

I will see if I can get him to start a thread so all of his friends can follow his AZ adventure.

To put it nicely he has a really dark tan at this point. LOL

Shawn called today from work and needed an alternator for his 521.  I gave him the 1 I had for my 520 as he needs it to get to work.  Gene and I are trying to help him as much as we can.  It is a struggle down here.

• Like 4

That's good she is still living and loving life. We have a rat terrier nearing the end, the vet said many things were wrong with her, all we care about is if she is in pain. She seems to be happy enough to lay around on the couch or in the sun though so she can kick it as long as she wants to. :)

Definitely want to see that 521 vert. :cool: 

• Like 1

Thank you Redeye.  That is our purpose with Darla.  Is to take care of it when she is not enjoying life.  She is doing well with her ailments and still protects us and the house.  She is a blessing.

You guys should have seen the 521 vert as Shawn and his wife and kids moved here from either Washington or Oregon I believe.

Next time he is over with it I will shoot some pictures.  I believe he is friends with Loren O.

• Like 2

Saw the knee surgeon today the pain I am having is from stretching muscles tendons and things in my knee that do not want to be stretched.  X-rays taken today show that all is well with the knee replacement. 

The down side of today's visit is that I have another month before I can work.  The upside to that is I have another month to work on my 520,

Oh my knee surgeon OKed working on my trucks.  He also told me I had great movement in my new knee.

• Like 6

This is good to hear!!!

Saw the knee surgeon today the pain I am having is from stretching muscles tendons and things in my knee that do not want to be stretched.  X-rays taken to sh that all is well with the knee replacement. 

The down side of today's visit is that I have another month before I can work.  The upside to that is I have another month to work on my 520,

Oh my knee surgeon OKed working on my trucks.  He also told me I had great movement in my new knee.

• Like 2

Thank you Hobospyder, Greiggy and Wayno.  Things are getting better every day just wish the pain would go away.

The knee surgeon told me that at 2 months after surgery I am about 50% healed at 3 months 75% healed.  I have decided to wait on having my left knee replaced. 

I hope to work on my 520 some on Friday as I have a doctors appointment in the morning and Have decided to only work on it from 5 am to 1 pm.  I will take the hot part of the days off and work inside on the wiring harness drawing.

• Like 3

Feel better man, take it slow

You are correct I have to slow down on working on the trucks and stick with doing my pt exercises.  Working on the trucks for 10 to 12 hours a day does not replace the pt exercises.

Taking it easy.

My brother finished drilling new centering pin holes in my rear leaf springs.  So I am hoping to get them on tomorrow.

• Like 2