Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

Went to Flagstaff AZ with Gene today and hit a wrecking yard.  We found a 521 that was hit hard on the front end.  The accident destroyed everything in front of the doors.

I managed to get a few parts I needed to finish my instrument cluster and  some robber grommets for the firewall.  I also got a back glass and the cover of a 720 to finish my fuel pump install.

Pictures tomorrow.

I have home duties to do before bed.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to a junk yard today and picked up 2 upper control arms of an 85 Nissan standard cab.  I will compare them to my 1980 arms and if the are coarect I will clean them up and put the new bushings in them and install them.

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

• Like 1

I hope to work on my 520 a little this weak.  Monday & Tuesday Dr appointments, Wednesday drive to Bullhead City and get a dog from the pound, hopefully see Mark and or Tony while I am in Bullhead City. 

Thursday I will work on training Cherry our new dog her boundaries of the front yard so she can help me work on my trucks.  All my dogs have been trained to stay in the front yard while I work on my trucks.

• Like 4

Leaving at 5 am in the morning to go to Bullhead City AZ to get a puppy from the pound up there.  My sister went up on Saturday while I was at the SWDP barbecue to check out the dog.  She adopted her and we had to leave her up there so she could be spade yesterday.  My sister thinks she is a Catahoula Hound mix.  She was advertised as a Great Dane mix.  We wanted another Great Dane but my sister really liked this dog so we are getting her tomorrow.

My sister has already named her Cherry.  She has been in the pound over a month and a half.  I told my sister this is a no brainier for me get the dog I do not want her to get put down.  My sister told me if she is not a good watch dog or is to small we will find another Great Dane and keep this one also.  We have always had extra large dogs and we feel that is why our house has never been burglarized. 

Pepper our Dane before Darla would bounce up and down in front of the door barking, people at the door could see here silhouette through the curtain and most people that did not know us would leave before we could get to the door. 

It was funny the first time Darla got loose and chased a sales man out of the yard.  She of course stopped when she got to the sidewalk but the guy kept running.  LOL

This is a picture of a Red Merle Catahoula Hound off of the internet.  This is not her.  I will post pictures of her tomorrow.

Red_Merle_Catahoula_Hound.jpg

We will have breakfast in Bullhead City and Mark (PCD).

Oh this will also be a parts run to deliver some parts to Mark. 

Funny how Datsuns are always involved!  LOL

• Like 2

Hey Charlie, just finished reading your thread, a huge amount of info, thanks for sharing!

Glad you are still going with the build, and on the home straight, looking forward to seeing more as it happens.

Also glad you have a new pup entering the family, looking forward to the pics!

• Like 1

^^^I feel like I should be making one of those myself. Right now i just have a 4 page Mitchell diagram taped together with pencil edits drawn on to it. Not really the greatest.

• Like 1

I started with a 1980 720 L20B automatic harness and I stripped out every thing I do not need.  I have added in the electric fuel pump circuit from a 1985 720 harness.  I have had to add back in al the engine wiring as when the engine was pulled they cut the engine away from the harness.  I am using the 520 tail lights headlights and the front combination lights so that has to be wired in to match the 720 harness.  I am using the 720 light switch wiper switch and hazard switch so these are plug and play at the steering column but all have to custom wired to the lights, motors and other devices.

There are so many changes in this harness that the only way I could keep track of it all is to draw it as I go.

Instrument cluster rewire to 1980 720 harness.

DSC01961.jpg

Here is the new dog.  she is small and she is not a Great Dane but we love her.

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02505.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

• Like 6

I am running 2 fans. One will be a low temp fan and the other high temp. I will add a relay that will work off the AC and override the temp controller and run both fans when the AC is engaged.

Very cool. I couldn't get my brain wrapped around a way to do that with the Volvo relay , which is why I drew up my own circuit. Mine is setup to run one fan on low temp, both fans on high temp, and run the secondary fan only when I turn on the a/c, so the primary can kick on and off as controlled by the fan switch.

I would love to see your circuit! Do you have a diagram?

• Like 1

I have it partially drawn in my main drawing..  I need to learn to draw in layers so that it is individual smaller circuits.  I am using the Volvo switch as a low temp and high temp. trigger.  I have not tested it yet but I am hoping that the Volvo switch will run both fans on high temp.  I will include an extra AC over ride relay that will over ride the temp switches all together and power both fans when the AC is on.  I have a large aluminum radiator so after I get this truck running I might have to rewire it because the 2 fans running all the time with the AC on might be to much cooling for the L20B even in the AZ desert.

520_720_morphed_wiring.jpg

This drawing is scaled to fit a 24" x 36" paper size. and is actually 2 pages, first page bottom is just above the relay drawings.

• Like 2

Both the Volvo relay and the bmw temp switch are designed around one fan capable of two speeds. So if you have it all wired together the way the Chevy guys etc. do it, then I think it will turn off fan A and turn on fan B when it goes from low to high. But if you have gotten fancy with the wiring, then no worries.

• Like 1