exhaust choices

so bought a 510 with a fart can on it. i say this, because its a piece of crap for an excuse of a muffler. BUT it is apart of a straight through piping that i would like to keep. my old man is forcing me to go with a domestic muffler and probably cat... weak.

i was hoping considering the amount of knowledge you all possess, whats the best idea to salvage performance out of this predicament? i would like to keep the piping the way it is, and just replace the muffler later with something better. is there some miracle that i can just slap on something cheap, quiet it down and call it good?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fart cans are horrible. Its ok to run a straight thru system but those things simply suck ass. I would go with a magnaflow or borla muffler. Both are free flow without any baffle plates. You wont need a cat on an older 510 but I would suggest having a small resonator/glasspack installed towards the middle as well to limit the high rev noise and popping at idle since the muffler is all the way back. As for cheap slap on a turbo muffler and you wont notice any power loss,might actually add some low end.

cherry bomb

cheap and easy way to make you car sound cool:cool:

I agree with this, i heard napa auto has cheap cherry bombs for 20-30 bux...

Take you about 10 minutes to cut that fart can off, grind the pipe smooth, and tack that cherry bomb on

I personally think cherry bombs sound like crap on a datsun. They get really loud and irritating. The magnaflow and borlas are basically a turbo muffler sized glasspack. They still have that cool tone but dont get nasty when you lay into it. Just my opinion. A cherrybomb/glasspack sounds great in front of a turbo muffler.

1)Dynomax Ultraflow stainless 100$ on up straight thru type in a Turbo style pakage

2)Dynomax Super turbo about 45$ does a S shape run inside somewhat queit

3)Thrush Turbo 20-30$ quiet

)CherryBomb 2 Turbo 20-30$ quiet.

flowmasters suck on a 4 cly or any with those funky deflectors!!!!!!!!

I dont think youll listen but I would get a queit muffler but upsize to a 2in pipe all the way out the back. anything more is not neededSo I dont want to see 2.5 inch on a daily driver L series.

I run 1.75 in on my truck and 510 and would go to 2in with a queit muffler.

If you got a real motor the MIkunis(carbs) would make that Cool sound not the exhaust

I personally think cherry bombs sound like crap on a datsun. They get really loud and irritating.

x2. i HATE teh cherry bomb on my 620. it sounds like ass. as soon as i can afford to do it, i am putting new exhaust on my truck. most likely either the exhaust i got from Datsunoob, go full new mandrel bent 2.25 with a magnaflow.

Almost everything I read indicates Borla or FlowMaster are the most popular and best-sounding for Datsuns.

What you read? what about hearing hundreds of Datsuns and personally talking to them or experiencing the muffler shop try 10 different mufflers on your car, like I did, prior to welding them. Again sounds of the exhaust if a personal choice, just like picking a tie or wearing a particular colonge.

Why not ask what's the best music CD to listen to???? 30 different answers all saying the others CDs sound like ass. On one end of the scale is a stock system that works, fits, nice and quiet, cheap and legal. On the other is a 2.5-3" custom mandrel bent pipe with a 3" $150 hollow chrome 'exhaust tip' that is expen$$$ive, and loud.

Everyone is going to find what they want somewhere in that range and unless you have a friend with EXACTLY the same motor with the sound you want that you can copy, you are going to have to use trial and error. There is a tendency to always want bigger, louder and shinier. When you double the pipe size you increase the cross sectional area not double, but 4 times!!! So only a small pipe size increase will make a huge difference. Increasing the exhaust pipe from 1 1/2 to 2 1/8 an increase of .625" or about 40% will double exhaust capacity!! How much do you really need?

Stick a 2 1/4 quiet muffler and 2" tail pipe on it and call it good. Or if you want sound, a 1 3/4 pipe and a turbo muffler.

Edited by datzenmike

EXACTLY, you don't need that 150$ tip, a lot of people will spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars in their exhaust (stainless this and that) and yet their car's engine does not even run good. I would not even run header if I am mainly running stock engine. get an exhaust 2.25 and some turbo mufllers like maganflows/dynamax. You can have the mufffler shop install it temp. and you will know which sounds better.

Almost everything I read indicates Borla or FlowMaster are the most popular and best-sounding for Datsuns.

What you read? what about hearing hundreds of Datsuns and personally talking to them or experiencing the muffler shop try 10 different mufflers on your car, like I did, prior to welding them. Again sounds of the exhaust if a personal choice, just like picking a tie or wearing a particular colonge.

Sorry. I haven't heard hundreds of Datsuns, but the ones I have heard (live and recorded) that sounded good to me were running Borla.

Agree with DatzenMike and you that it's a matter of personal choice, but it seems most folks chose Borla and FlowMaster.

Edited by ppeters914
a cherry bomb is not a 'big hole' for show, a fart can is :poop: !

What I meant was, isn't a cherry bomb a glass pack? And a fart can a prettied up glass pack? I just meant that if so, the cherry bomb would sound about the same, wouldn't it?