510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

i like it man cant wait to see it in person the only thing i would do is trim the whole flare back so its even and you clear everything but its your ride and its wicked as is

Problem is, the fender flare has a lip on the inside that gives it strength. Gotta think of the fenders as parachutes catching the air. Without the strength build into them, they'll flex and crack over time. Kinda like the core support radiator opening having the lip bent into it to keep structure.

Thanks for the comments! I wanna go lower in the rear now, then i'll call it done as ride height!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Holy crap! I didnt know it snowed in Sac?

It doesn't...it's frost, not snow. :P

Had that down here in Sunnyvale too, had to bust out the Costco card to scrape it off...without gloves burr burr!

It doesn't...it's frost, not snow. :P

I'm pretty sure that first picture is snow. We were supposed to get some up here in Chico, but the storm went south and hit Sac instead. It has been crazy cold here though.

Yeah it snowed for the first time in AGES here in Sac a few days ago. My dogs were pretty bewildered... None of us are used to it! I got called in to drop off a key for an opener at 7:30am, so I took a picture of the car covered in snow, then drove like a moron for about an hour!

• 1 month later...

So a few days ago, Phil helped me move the motor, transmission and some supercharger parts over to my new house, and I spent today working on it for the first time in ages!!!

First step was to fix the oil filter relocation setup... The way I had the lines and fittings mounted before, they were hitting the bottom of the supercharger. I flipped some things around, and even got a pretty cool look from the front of my car, too! What do you think? More aggressive? I like it!

Before:

IMG00294-20090929-1649.jpg

Now:

IMG00261-20100208-1116.jpg

IMG00262-20100208-1116.jpg

I took a few elbow fittings from my car and swapped them onto the oil block:

IMG00267-20100208-1434.jpg

No more interference!! I decided to skip powder coating this time around... It was going to be a good chunk of change, and I can't afford it with the new house right now... Plus I need to get this thing finished and save the money for a clutch!! I hit the supercharger casing, adapter plate and the intake manifold with the wire wheel and they polished up pretty nice, I think. I also cleaned the fuel rail, installed SR injectors and painted the injector caps

IMG00265-20100208-1433.jpg

IMG00266-20100208-1433.jpg

IMG00268-20100208-1456.jpg

IMG00269-20100208-1456.jpg

IMG00270-20100208-1456.jpg

Heres a comparison of what it used to look like and what it looks like now:

IMG00271-20100208-1504.jpg

Clean!! Last thing I did was grind down the intake elbow and smooth out all the marks on it, and toss some silver high temp paint over it. I'll be installing my throttle body when I swap the motor anyway, so it will be cleaned and shined up, but this one will work for mock up.

IMG00272-20100208-1749.jpg

It was a total blast to work on the motor and car again today! I've really missed it, and I feel better for having made some progress!! I'm missing a ton of nuts and bolts, so I need to make a shopping list and run up to Ace either tomorrow or next week so I can finish mounting the supercharger and intake manifold! There are also a few motor pieces that I think I'm missing, so a run to Pick N Pull might be in order soon, too!

Hope the update is worthwhile, guys and gals!! I know it's been a long time in the making, but I'll be doing a bit more updating now that I have the motor at my disposal!!

Finally some updates!!!!!!

Love the work boot tire chock haha. My fav.

Lowes has a great selection of nuts and bolts and is right down the way at international and zinfandel. Saves a trip to el camino.

Motor is looking hot, and a like the new line routing, and the JAF badge! I dont remeber seeing an update with that on

Kait got me the badge for Christmas, thanks bestie!

There's an Ace on Kiefer in that huge shopping center... or did you not know that?

The boot is just for my peace of mind... I don't have an ebrake, and I'm always worried that it's going to roll backwards! I know the boot probably wouldn't help, but why not, right?

I need to get a shopping list going for the nuts and bolts, and I need to permanently mount the oil block and intake manifold with new gaskets. Then real mockup can start on the supercharger and adapter plate, as well as running some lines for the oil filter!

I just ordered fluid for the supercharger, so I'll have that ready to run in no time! Time to start figuring out the tensioner and belt situation!

There's an Ace on Kiefer in that huge shopping center... or did you not know that?

The boot is just for my peace of mind... I don't have an ebrake, and I'm always worried that it's going to roll backwards! I know the boot probably wouldn't help, but why not, right?

I need to get a shopping list going for the nuts and bolts, and I need to permanently mount the oil block and intake manifold with new gaskets. Then real mockup can start on the supercharger and adapter plate, as well as running some lines for the oil filter!

I just ordered fluid for the supercharger, so I'll have that ready to run in no time! Time to start figuring out the tensioner and belt situation!

LOL i had no clue one was over there... DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

UUUmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...?

Where did that come from man? I love it! :D Been looking for a while for one like it...or similar shaped with different words. Used to see a ton of those on Mercedes cars out in California

JAF badges, for those who don't know, stand for Japanese Automobile Federation, and it's basically the JDM AAA. You have a badge for the grill (placed lower left side if facing the grill) and a sticker for the rear window. Old badges are made of metal, but sadly this is a newer plastic one... Still looks the same, though! Very cool little JDM badge, and it compliments my BRE badge really well, too!

They make badges of all different styles, just check around on Ebay. Japan badges are cool, but I'm running out of space!

IMG00070-20100104-1258.jpg

IMG00069-20100104-1257.jpg

see the metal pop up on ebay all the time.

Ya I see the metal ones on ebay often. Yahoo japan is over flowing with cool badges too. So man badges so little space lol.

I think you need more zip ties.

If your going to do it do it right! lmao

Yeah, the zip ties hold together my whole front end, what of it?! It does give the poor girl some character, and I think it's a hint more aggressive, too!

The badges are fine the way they are, I'm not complaining! I'm all emblem'd up, fromt the grill badges to the Datsun, 510 and Automatic badges on the rear. Plus I've got more stickers than you can shake a stick at!

Eh, from the angle I took those pictures, they're really noticeable, but when you're standing at the car, they're 2" above your shoe... they're actually quite subtle!

Thanks for the comments, guys! I know it's been a long time since I've gotten work done, but the motor will be ready for expensive things soon! I need a clutch before it goes in, and I'm thinking of buying a thermal intake manifold gasket, since it should help a lot in the supercharger application! Other than that and fresh fluids, and some nuts and bolts, most of the purchasing is DONE for the swap. Obviously there will be some misc. odds and ends to be picked up (belts, etc) but we're almost there!!

Wellll..... After a few years of fairly reliable driving every day on a tired engine that had a few track days and more than a few abusive drives...

My motor blew.

I've been getting some ticking from the top end, I thought, recently... At first it sounded like timing chain rattle, so no concerns... Then it got worse, and I blamed it on valve lash being out of spec, which made sense, so I was going to drive home right after work, pop the valve cover and see what's up... I never made it home from work...

I barely made it off the freeway before I lost all oil pressure, the car started bucking and knocking, refused to start, refused to stay running when it DID start, and was smoking pretty heavily from under the hood.

Luckily, my girlfriend was a TOTAL sweetheart (the fact that we celebrated V-Day last night/today didn't hurt!!) and drove out to use her AAA on my sorry excuse for a DD :-( and she even made light of the whole situation while she drove me around. The car gave one last shove up the driveway, and probably the weakest excuse for a burnout to finish it off.

I'm pouring a beer on this one, motor is toast. This DOES put a slight damper on the supercharger build... But the bad motor will be used for mock-up now, and the clean one will be in for the swap meet!!

Any locals want to lend a hand the next day or two? Hit me up, and we'll crack out a quick swap!!

Sean

916.505.81O8

Lolz, pics or it didn't happen.

Removed lip and oil cooler to help tow truck driver get a grip:

IMG00278-20100214-1803.jpg

Lining her up to hoist:

IMG00279-20100214-1824.jpg

Girlie got a few pictures too, she thought it was funny enough to get the background on her iPhone! I'll get her to email them to me later.

Alright, after I finished my sandwich break when I typed up that update, I went back out and got cracking again.

I had already removed the valve cover once and checked for obvious damage, which I can't see. My mind was made up: the new motor is going in by Tuesday night... I had my work cut out for me!

From the last updates I've shown, you probably know that the new motor was little more than a pretty, painted and polished block and head with a oil pump cover on it... Not a great starting point! I decided to tackle this project the RIGHT way while acting fast!

I worked pretty much non-stop from 10:00pm until 2:40am when I called it quits and showered, and here I am typing my faithful build entry!

First order of business was undoing the wiring harness and getting it out of the way, followed by the air filter and MAF. After that, I started unbolting the radiator, which involved removing my whole front end to get to the screws tucked behind the valance... I guess it's good, in case the motor decided to knick the Bluebird grill, anyway. With the radiator moved out of the way, I tore off the timing chain cover and valve cover, and cleaned both inside and out. Some new RTV, and a quick re-seating of the valve cover gaskets, and I had those puppies on there for good. It really looks amazing with all the new hardware I had gotten for the timing chain cover, oil pump cover and water pump!!

IMG00280-20100214-2259.jpg

IMG00281-20100214-2300.jpg

IMG00285-20100215-0023.jpg

IMG00286-20100215-0023.jpg

IMG00287-20100215-0023.jpg

Then, I started trying to get the intake manifold off... That design makes me want to KILL MYSELF!! The manifold sits right on top of the oil filter, and the damn runners are so close together, you can't fit a wrench in some of them to unbolt it!! Oh well, once that was off, I pinched and welded up a vacuum line and the IACV tube, since I was using rubber on both and the smaller vacuum line's cap kept cracking. Then I masked off the fuel rail and throttle body and cleaned/painted the manifold using high temp "Aluminum" paint.

IMG00288-20100215-0242.jpg

IMG00289-20100215-0242.jpg

Somewhere in the mix, I cleaned and painted the alternator bracket and tensioner, and cleaned the alternator. I also slapped a coat of gloss black on the water pump pulley and got both mounted with the belts. The water pump belt feels a tad loose, so I'll buy a new one tomorrow when I make a run to the parts store.

IMG00282-20100214-2318.jpg

The only things I have left to transfer to the new motor are the starter, the oil filter pedestal and the exhaust and wiring.

Torn Up:

IMG00290-20100215-0245.jpg

The pig is coming along!!!

I barely made it off the freeway before I lost all oil pressure, the car started bucking and knocking, refused to start, refused to stay running when it DID start, and was smoking pretty heavily from under the hood.

I'm pouring a beer on this one, motor is toast.

sounds about like how mine died... :(

stupid BMW from Dubai :fu: :lol: