510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

Yeah, my dad has the Cold Heat soldering iron... I hate it. It doesn't work well and it's crazy awkward to use. Unless I have wires clamped down, I never see myself getting a good solder out of that POS.

Give me a standard iron, a stand/sponge and a spool, and I'll go to town on some things, but keep the battery powered thing out of here!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got more stuff done today!

Painted the roof again. Like I said, the spray paint was fading, so I scuffed it up and put a new coat on the top. Not bad for a year of sitting in the sun, though!!

While I was masking things off, the mail man delivered my turn signals... This was one of the other goodies I didn't mention (same time as floor mats). Fitment was perfect, wiring was a direct bolt-in affair, and I am WAY happy with the way they look!

I also wired in my "city light", too! Right now, it'll turn on any time the parking lights turn on, but I'll probably wire it to the emergency flasher switch, since that isn't being used for anything right now anyway.

IMG00292-20090929-1543.jpg

Comparing to stock

IMG00293-20090929-1622.jpg

Mounted

IMG00294-20090929-1649.jpg

Lit up at night

IMG00296-20090929-2015.jpg

IMG00297-20090929-2016.jpg

Looks pretty snazzy!! Tell me whatcha think!!

The euro lights were pretty much the last bit to really "finish" the front end, I think. When I got the JDM grill, it was one of things I told myself I HAD to get, because it would really pop and make things just aggressive enough...

Mission: Accomplished

Cool! Make sure you don't get pulled over for having a headlight "out". :P

I've been driving my car for over a year now. Never been pulled over except for a random "you only have one side mirror, and that's unsafe" incident. Knock on wood! But yeah, even with a giant banner over the top of the windshield, the low stance, loud exhaust and a bright red paint job, no law trouble. It helps that I typically just cruise around in it... I only open it up for very short periods of time when there's not a lot of people around!

I swear to god, though, if they give me a ticket for the headlight over anything else, I'm getting off easy!

Technically, so long as you have 2 mirrors total, you're legal. One side view and a Wink are all I need. He was just being a dick. No ticket, though.

Yeah, they're Euro style markers. Found them on Ebay, but did a little haggling with the guy about them. They came from Thailand. Brand new, fit was perfect. Even had rubber rings on the back, just like OEM! They were cheap too, about $50-$60 shipped. PM me if you want the guy's email address. Only took 2 weeks to get here.

chris is just upset cause he got popped..... camber and LSD make s for bad combo.... or he was actually driving like a jackass... lol just remeber kiddies... money takes care of everything in cali... F smog .... i like the lights man...... i want to do the subaru led conversion turn signals someday... james had a car up at his place with them....... schweeeet!!!...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know, it's been ages since my last update. Not much has happened! I've been busy working and trying (unsuccessfully) to get into a class. I'm also saving my pennies (kind of..) so I can move out next month, so I haven't made any progress on my motor, really.

I did buy the female end of the F3 plug, so that will get de-pinned so I can wire it into the 510 harness. It will be nice to be able to remove my wiring harness without cutting the 510 harness anymore! I doubt the harness will really NEED to be removed, but it's just one of those things that is better done than left alone.

Also, I drove the wagon up to the James Johnson campout last weekend. It was a great drive up and back! I've driven there before in the 'goon, but this trip, the car felt much more solid and complete. The engine felt a little funny on the way up, but not the way back. I know the clutch is slipping a little bit, so that might be why. Other than that, though, no heating issues (stayed under 200* the whole trip!) and no handling issues other than struts bottoming out.

Speaking of which, KA-Kait bought a 2 door (which has also been taking a lot of time from me!), and she got some 280zx struts in the deal, too. I literally JUST ordered up some MR2 Tokico Illumina's. The plan is to take her struts, shorten them, then slap my rotors/calipers/coilovers/camber plates on them and put them in my car. Then she can use my struts with her stock stuff because my shocks aren't blown (I hope!!) and hers are.

That way, my car won't be coming off the road for more than an afternoon, but still gets all the fixin's. I'm hoping the shocks get here by the end of the week.

For those curious, it took some searching for me, but I found our that it's the Part Number: Tokico #3099. They're rear MR2 inserts for a 87-89. The car should handle MUCH better when these go on. No more bottoming out the struts!!!

Whoops! Almost forgot some random pictures!!

Here's Kait's motor. It's a little more turquoise than the picture likes to show. We're really excited to get this thing finished up.

IMG00358-20091019-1722.jpg

While we were up at the swap meet, I picked up a metal Datsun badge and plastic 510 badge. Slapped them shits on there!!

IMG00362-20091020-1508.jpg

I thought this picture was kind of funny, too... Kait's parents' RV vs the Boso Goon. Truly a David and Goliath story!

IMG00356-20091019-0925.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I finally have some suspension upgrades installed on the car.

First thing I did was install one of my spare leaves from the old spring packs as kind of an "overload" spring. It lowered things just a hair and really firmed up the back. I can still feel the axle wrap up a little, but it's greatly reduced now. It also feels much better around corners, which is good considering it's about to rain!

I've been slowly making progress on a second set of 280zx struts for a while. The gland nuts and tops of the tubes were pretty ovaled out and haggard, so I had to cut the top off and use some 510 strut tubes. It worked out perfectly, since the struts had to be shortened anyway! Inside, I'm now using Tokico Illumina's from an MR2, so the stance can go lower without bottoming out.

I started by taking a wire wheel to the struts and getting them stripped down of all the grease, grime and surface rust. Then I hit them with gloss black, and my favorite.. glitter clear. Kind of a cool effect, and it should be pretty easy to keep clean!

IMG00407-20091116-1511.jpg

IMG00429-20091117-1221.jpg

Next, I tried to match where my shaft collars were on the old struts so the height would be about the same... But then I just had to see how low I can go!! I spun the coilovers down, put it on the ground and got here.

IMG00411-20091116-1657.jpg

IMG00412-20091116-1658.jpg

IMG00410-20091116-1655.jpg

It was a reminder that I REALLY need to re-work my exhaust into the drive shaft tunnel to tuck it up higher...

At that ride height, I still have plenty of suspension travel, it felt great, and is a huge upgrade over the Monroe Sensatracs that were in there before. I spun things down JUST a hair more to get things even on both sides and give the car a little bit of a wicked stance, and then it was time to start moving the fenders. At full lock, the tires rubbed the fender lip since I pulled the camber back out for rain. Some work with the dremmel and a cutoff wheel, and I got just enough room to get away with it, I think!

IMG00425-20091117-1215.jpg

Overall, I'm REALLY happy with the new ride. No more bottoming out as of yet, it's way more solid, looks better and it's quieter. What's not to love?!

First thing I did was install one of my spare leaves from the old spring packs as kind of an "overload" spring. It lowered things just a hair and really firmed up the back. I can still feel the axle wrap up a little, but it's greatly reduced now.

did you use the #3 leaf?

im doing that with 1" blocks.

should be that same as (niels) dearched leafs, at least sitting side by side they are.

I have no idea....

When I had my leaf springs de-arched/stiffened, and installed, they had a negative arch to them. So I took a medium sized leaf, installed it on the very bottom, upside down, clamped it on up front and called it good. On top, I'm using 2" blocks. So... My rear suspension is so custom I don't know what it is!!

It does, however, match the 300# springs up front very well, though. If I would do it again, I'd probably go for 250# springs up front, but my opinion might change when I upgrade the rear shocks... We'll see!