510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

Alright, Page 13 has truly lacked pictures... I'm about to head over to work on the motor... Plans for the day are to clean the pistons (a little carbon buildup), clean the headgasket surface on the block, strip all previous gasket material off the block, set to TDC, reassemble crank, install oil pump cover and front main seal, mount crank pulley, test fit head, and mount head/ARP head studs/MLS headgasket, re-time motor, test fit intake manifold, take measurements, install cams, time head, and prepare for supercharger.

Sounds like a lot, and I might only get some of it done today, but that's my list for the next projects. Anybody remember where I put my oil relocation block?!

I need to drop off my oil pan with my buddy and have it reinforced. I'm thinking 1/8" steel plate welded to the bottom/front of the oil pan will give me enough protection for a light tap (knock on wood!!) if it were to occur... I think 1/4" would be overkill, and also lower the pan too far below crossmember. 1/8" should put it about even... Then I need to pre and paint the oil pan!! Any ideas on color?

Engine - Gold

Valve cover - Candy Apple Red

Oil block - Blue

Transmission - Blue

Oil pump cover - Ivory/Pearl

Timing cover - Polished

Motor mounts - Ivory/Pearl

Intake manifold - Polished

Head - Bare aluminum

Supercharger - ?????

Oil pan - ?????

Rear axle - ?????

As Phil put it yesterday... I'm a dangerous man with a can of spray paint... but only to my own car! Give me your ideas!!

I'm thinking of doing the S/C the same color as the valve cover to give it a little bit of rhyme-and-reason under the hood!

Pictures incoming!

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you buy AN fitting from?

I'm holding off on installing my Skullworks oil block because the line and fittings alone will be about $150 from summit. :eek: I already bought the Filter relocator and filter, but I'm debating the oil cooler.

All the fittings and line for my setup, plus an AN wrench (gotta keep them pretty!) added up to just under $300 NOT INCLUDING the oil block.

The 7' of line was only $80 of that... The rest was all fittings. They're very pricey, but soooooo sexy!

To answer your question, I bought all my line and Earl's fittings at a local shop.

Just got home from working on my motor, by the way, so I'll be typing up a badass post here in a second...

So after the window got smashed, I obviously lost the JimmyUP sticker. I originally emailed him about it and gave him copies of all our old conversations about size/color codes... and I never heard back from him. I could have bugged him, or even gone to Lab17 and had them copy it for me... But I decided it was time for a change.

IMG00219-20090914-1256.jpg

I decided to go with some Prautogy stickers in JimmyUP's place! I've only gotten driver's side applied so far, but sometime this week, I plan to strip the other window and do the other side to match.

Prautogy is a company that my older brother is involved with. They're coming out that basically offers the first and only system that will interface directly with your iPhone. It will allow you to control certain things through the iPhone, and even control your air ride suspension! Prautogy's Home Page if you want to learn more.

On to other things!! I got a ton of work done on the motor tonight and last night. I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning and painting everything, getting it all ready to go on the motor today. I pressure washed and cleaned the transmission (that in itself is a whole other motor!!!). I went back and forth on what color the tranny should be. I had already painted the oil pump cover/lower cover Ivory, and loved the way it turned out, so it was between Ivory and Blue... I ended up deciding on blue because Ivory would have been dirty within two seconds, and blue will hide it a little better. Plus it gives me some motivation to "color match" my shifter and buy a B&M shifter to slap on it! Now I have no choice...

IMG00214-20090914-1051.jpg

IMG00215-20090914-1103.jpg

Then I painted the motor mounts Ivory to match the front cover. Then I decided to get creative and test out that "Efex" paint from Duplicolor. I bought a can of the clear/flake and tested it out on a spare part.

IMG00217-20090914-1157.jpg

I liked what I saw!! Front cover and motor mounts got the same treatment: Ivory, a few coats of Efex, and a few coats of regular clear to make it pop. I think it goes good with the motor!

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

I spent the morning pressure washing and cleaning the head, making it look almost as pretty as the rest of the motor! I do love me some nice clean head....

I brought it over to Phil's to get some work done. I busted the crank pulley apart and cleaned it up (might be OEM, but it's about a pound lighter after clearing the gunk out of it!!). Then I installed the new timing chain crank gear, the lower timing chain guides and tensioner.

That's when it was time to get busy... I removed the flywheel and cleaned the pistons of all the carbon buildup, and cleaned the block-to-head mounting surface, and installed the ARP studs. Then I sprayed the Cometic MLS headgasket with some copper spray, laid it down and installed the head, torquing the new washers/head bolts to spec.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

I got the new lower timing chain installed with the head gears, and I just HAD to get that lower oil pump cover installed and take some pictures!! I grabbed a socket that was the right size, and a rubber mallet, and knocked a new Front Main Seal in place and seated it down properly, went to town with some RTV and installed the new water pump and gasket, the thermostat and thermostat housing, and that black thing that hangs out below the intake manifold. Gooooood times! I hit the back of the cover with some RTV, made sure everything was nice and clean, and finally laid the cover onto the motor and turned down all the brand new hardware I bought for everything!!

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG00223-20090915-1548.jpg

IMG00225-20090915-2157.jpg

IMG00227-20090915-2213.jpg

IMG00226-20090915-2157.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

Oil pan is getting dropped at Phil's in the next day or two, so the guys at work can weld on some 1/8" plate on the bottom and front of the sump. That should bring it to nearly level with the crossmember as well as protect me JUST IN CASE (knock on wood!) something happened. I'm thinking the oil pan will get the same treatment as the transmission in True Blue and clear coat over it. Same reason, too.

I'm going to bring the supercharger to a local powder coater and see what they can do as far as a candy coating that will also hold up to the heat it will generate. We'll see what they have to say and take things from there!

What do y'all think?! Make up for the lack of pictures?

Edited by WagDatto

Small update this morning, since I work today so I can't get a whole lot done...

I did some digging and found my oil block. That will go to Phil's at the same time I bring over the supercharger kit which left Bloomington this morning, I'm still thinking it will be here by Friday.. I'm hoping?

Blue, shiny goodness!

IMG00229-20090916-0904.jpg

And I mounted my wing. I need to take it back off, paint under the mounting tabs, polish the mounts and the blade and get new hardware... But for now I'm rockin' it!!

IMG00230-20090916-0959.jpg

IMG00231-20090916-0959.jpg

This really is a cool little car bro! Nice work!!

Thanks! I'm going to mock things up and take measurements when the supercharger gets here. FedEx is telling me it'll be here tomorrow. All 65lbs of glorious blower kit!!

Maybe tomorrow night after work, Phil will let me test fit some shit...

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to try to start polishing the wing and go out to buy some new screws and nuts, as well as paint the mounting holes to keep them from rusting too soon!

My motor is starting to look like a motor!!

Skib, if you're into my build, then I'm doing something right...

Still need to buy:

1995 S14 Harness (waiting on check to clear)

Clutch/Pressure Plate (waiting for next check)

B&M Shifter (waiting on check to clear...)

Belts, bolts, misc (waiting for supercharger, we'll see what it needs!)

Thermal/Powder coating, and paint for misc pieces

Spark plugs, fluids, etc

I'm also thinking about snagging some Mckinney motor mounts to stiffen it up front. I'm scared to think what the added torque and abuse would do to my stock motor mounts!

Other than that, though... I think the motor is about ready to come together. I'm hoping the oil pan will be blue and reinforced by next week.

This weekend, I want to test fit the supercharger on the intake manifold and measure things out. I'm slightly worried about fitment against the strut tower, but I think I should be fine. I might need to toy with the intake tube to get it past the strut tower, but even that should be fairly minimal. By the way, intake pipe polished and wrapped with the fiberglass exhaust wrap sound good? I think the headers will get the same treatment. I'm starting to take underhood temeratures more seriously!!

Haha, I can only assume that comment is being directed at Kait. By the time you make your way out here again, we might have a KA'd 4 door (Kelly/Xerox), Kait's KA'd 2 door and POSSIBLY my brother's SR'd 2 door... Or maybe I'll be the only 510'er around with a running car at that point. Who knows?!

I just tracked my kit... Arrived in Sacramento tonight, so it will DEFINITELY be mine tomorrow!! Looks like I need to pack up my intake manifold and do some test fitting tomorrow night or Friday! I'll take pictures of the loot, as well!

There will be PLENTY of videos when the motor goes in. I'm starting to think about what kind of clutch I want.. From what I've been reading, the OEM/Organic clutches require the typical 500 mile break in, but the more aggressive clutches do better with a few long 2nd gear slips with cool-downs in between. I'm starting to think an Exedy Stage 2 or an ACT 6 puck sprung setup.

Time to start saving my pennies!!

Just got a text from my little brother like 25 minutes ago that the box showed up. I'm at work for the next 6ish hours and it's KILLING ME!!!! I wanna go dump the box out in the garage and cuddle with the new parts!!!

I'll post pictures tonight. I need to talk to Phil and see if tonight is a good night to come over and test fit some pieces!

man i hate it when that happens im looking forward to the pics :D

on a side note why dont you hit the oilpan and trans with that metalic /flake stuff the motor mounts and timing cover got that would be bad ass when your lookin under the car

Edited by bonvo

hey sean you forgot about me....... might be anothe ka 4-door rolling wit ya ;) got my shocks today.... and i am looking to order some springs for the rear....... everyon says d50 front spring s cut... so logically why wouldnt you get lowered mighty max/raider/d50 front springs form belltech ;P yay..... cant wait to HEAR your blower.... s/c's arent my thing but they sound soooo sexy

Okay so good and bad news.

Good news is that the kit came in today, it looks like pretty much everything I need is in there. Bad news is that I need to really look at cleaning everything up, and possibly re-fabbing some of the parts.

The tensioner pulley is kind of whack, so I'm going to look at modifying that or making a better one. The intake elbow is pretty shady, too, where the throttle body connects. The welds all look like novice stick welds, and most of the parts look like they were salvaged from something else.

Like I said, I'm sure I could probably slap it together and it'd work, but I'm going to do it right and make sure it's good to go.

I'm also glad I had that other Eaton in my garage... The rotors on this one are pretty scraped up, and it grinds when you spin them... Bad times. I am, though, going to try to salvage it, and possibly rebuild it to use in a different kit, but not any time soon, I don't think. I just need to open my other one up and have the holes welded shut to get some better power and more noise from it!

You guys don't give a shit... You want pictures!!!

I woke up this morning, opened the garage door and found this:

IMG_1629.jpg

So I got out my razor, Windex and credit card and did this:

IMG_1630.jpg

Then I cleaned up the spoiler a little, since I never did the other day, and ended up with this (some better pics for y'all, too!)

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

Now, let's see some new stuff.

New S14 upper intake (no butterfly valves...) Probably going to powder coat/thermal coat this and ditch the polishing idea... That's a pain in the ass, man!!

IMG_1634.jpg

Throttle body adapter elbow

IMG_1635.jpg

GReddy E-Manage and tensioner:

IMG_1636.jpg

Blown blower :(

IMG_1637.jpg

Adapter plate

IMG_1638.jpg

Oil filter relocation (using mine instead) and misc stuff

IMG_1639.jpg

So I did get the oil block mounted, and realized that the straight fittings are not going to work. They poke straight against the side of the supercharger. I'll be swapping the straights for the elbows on my oil filter mount (up near the strut tower) and see if it will clear.

IMG_1642.jpg

Then I got the cams installed and the upper timing chain done up, too. Motor is fully timed now and ready for action!

IMG_1641.jpg

Starting to look like something....

IMG_1640.jpg

Oh snap, half-assed mock up!!

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

Monday/Tuesday, I'll be swapping timing covers again... Dirty one will go back on my motor, polished one will get re-polished, then installed on new motor. I'm also going to see if I have another valve cover. Maybe I'll toss the pretty one on the motor just for shits and giggles to take some sweet pictures of!

Intake manifold needs all new bolts and nuts, adapter plate needs all new hardware as well... I'll most likely try to get those taken care of this week, too. I need to clean the alternator and get that ready to go back on the motor, too... Which means I need to buy more of the clear Efex paint for the alternator bracket, which I TOTALLY forgot about until now!!

I might drive out to a powdercoating shop this week, too, and see what they say about the intake manifold and the supercharger. It'd be sweet to have those done and ready for play time!

Edited by WagDatto