510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any particular reason for the different harness? just want a cleaner one or is yours not happy

I wanted to do a huge wire tuck. Under my dash, the wires are pretty crazy, wrapped around eachother and zip tied up out of the way. Most of the wires, I have absolutely no use for. The plan is to take a page out of the Honda mod books and pretty up the engine bay...

These are running cars... Can you spot the wiring?

attachment.php?attachmentid=43621&stc=1&d=1243874633

IMG_1824.jpg

It's hard to cut, shorten, rearrange, test, strip, and clean a wiring harness... when it's installed in the car.

So I said screw it. For around $100, you can buy a used KA harness and do whatever your heart desires. My heart desires less wiring and messiness. Plus, if I get more room under the dash, the A/C unit with fan can go in... and get wired up, too! I'll only use it for fan (for now, at least) to get some air moving during the winter or in traffic.

Yeah, obviously a carb'd car will have less wires. I just want things to be clean. The corner of my engine bay where the harness comes through is a clusterfuck, as is my underdash, and the front of my motor. If things were routed differently and deleted alltogether, things could look mightly snazzy!

The wires will (for the most part) make their way into the frame rails near the fenders. The harness exits into the engine bay from the passenger corner. Some of the wires will loop straight across the back of the motor toward the exhaust. The plan is to bring them across the driver's side of the valve cover toward the distributor. The rest of the wiring will come from the entry point, loop under the intake manifold (as it is currently), and loop up to the injectors. A very small amount of them will exit the front of the intake manifold to reach the MAF and ATS. I think the Throttle Body will be mounted right next to the intake elbow on the blower, so TPS will be there as well. I don't want wires in front of my motor like they are right now to reach the distributor. UGLY!

So last night, I headed to Phils to snag the intake manifold so I can get a quote for thermal coating it and the blower housing. While I was there, I decided that the oil pan needed to be installed. Used a brand new cork gasket and plenty of RTV, and the motor looks more like a motor now!

I'm really excited to see what this all looks like when it's IN THE CAR, but it's still fun to see it evolve in the garage...

IMG00280-20090927-2031.jpg

IMG00282-20090927-2031.jpg

Sorry for the small update, I'll try to keep progress moving steadily along!

Yeah tucks are nice unless you leave all the crazy holes and odd angled engine bay alone then they are GAY. :D

You could just do it like a modern motor and put a huge square of plastic all over everything! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll be filling/Grommeting all the holes in the bay and repainting it when the motor comes out. Shouldn't be too hard. Still not looking to make it a show car, so it won't be perfect! I don't care, but it'll get done.

The majority of the wiring harness is done as of today. It still needs to get de-pinned tomorrow, and when the motor is mocked up again, I'll be able to see where things need to be shortened/lengthened as needed. At that point, I'll buy all the braided wire wrap and shrink wrap and whatnot to get things looking pretty, too! I'll also be using new heat shielding for the O2 sensor and some of the other wires.

Phil and I also talked about a couple of pretty trick ideas to help clean things up inside and out. Because the 1995 KA uses an F3 plug, the 510 taps into it instead of rooting around in the main harness (http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/projectKA/95-KA-wiring.pdf). SCORE!! I'm going to try to pick up the female end of the F3 plug from online and then be able to use THAT to tap into the 510, and just have the whole harness plug in and out as needed. That, combined with the grounds getting separated on a Grounding Block, the ECU being mounted with the relays properly, and the Emanage (hopefully Ultimate!) all buttoned up and out of the way should make the underside of my dash MUCH cleaner! But then it's time to go through the body harness... I hate this hobby sometimes... But I guess the only way to LEARN wiring is to DO wiring. And I know Phil doesn't want to do it!!

Here's the Vlog for yous guys. I just realized tonight that all my videos start with "Alright, so..." And it bugs me. I need to work on that. Another day...

I know nothing about VG's so you're fucked. I'm very well-versed on the KA harness now, so long as we're talking about a 1995 S14 OBDI setup. Otherwise, you're fucked too. And unless you're paying me like $50 an hour, consider yourself thrice fucked tonight, because I'm not going to bother doing this again. I have a feeling tonight will be nothing compared to tomorrow's depinning escapades... But time will tell!

i have found that a small propane torch works better and faster for soldering then a soldering iron and cheaper then a good unit little easier to use to cause you can set it down and use both hands to hold the wires and the solder

if you need a hand give me a call i have no real life atm and i could swing by

Edited by bonvo
A torch for soldering harness wires, or really any automotive wiring short of battery cable to me is like banging out a fender dent with a sledge hammer. :blink:

Never tried it... don't plan to. Plus, soldering irons are cheap. I've been meaning to get one to keep around for ages... what better time?!

A torch for soldering harness wires, or really any automotive wiring short of battery cable to me is like banging out a fender dent with a sledge hammer. :blink:

lol your just have to practice i also have a pencil tip torch which makes it a little easier

edit: sean i have a cheap iron you can have though it would cost more in gas to get it there then it would for you to go buy the same iron at radioshack

screw that sean, do it like chris did with the harness i bought formhim... just twist it together and tape it :( needless to say i pulled it all about and soldered it..... boo chris boo lol

haha my soldering iron was broken. If my single cam lasted more than a week i would have redid it lol.

(and no the twisty connections wernt the cause :P):fu:

I bought one of those butane cigarette lighters and it worked great for soldering. A nice precise point. Eventually the plastic got heated enough that the head got too loose to use.

I also tried the radioshack butane solder iron that has a choice between and iron or a torch. It worked great at first, but died eventually and I could never get the iron tip off to try the torch one. It was as if it fused on there.

What sucked ass was the 'cold fusion' solder iron. Those electrode tips break way to easy. and it was a pain to get a green light connection. More hassle than it was worth.