510 Boso Wagon - Supercharged KA24DE

WagDatto

This is really the first major problem it's given me. It's been pretty good. But again, I'm at the point where I want to either sell it, or decide to make it unsellable. Nobody will buy a wagon that's had the back half chopped up and modded, I know I wouldn't even though I'd love the look. It's time for another project, I think. Again, I'm not set one way or the other, but I'm kicking the idea around.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about this stuff a million times over. And there really is no way about it that works the way you want it to...you either get a NEW car and get stuck with payments that doesn’t need to be worked on...or you get a fully paid off USED car that you have to work on...

The only advantage of keeping the Wagon is that your familiar with it, you know what to expect out of it...and there really is nothing more to learn/stress out about.

You and I both know that the amount of money that you sink into your car other than regular maintenance stuff is a problem that can easily be fixed with a little self control (not like I have room to talk or anything! lol). But on a serious note, focus on keeping the car running and leave it alone. That’s what I'm doing with my Max right now since I got into this whole 510 stuff lol, I thought I COULD afford two cars that I would modify and I kinda shot myself in the foot. I have been VERY lucky that my Max hasn’t blown up on me while working on my datsun!!

The funniest part about this is that I am right there with you with my Maxima. I am over the car, but at the same time I’m not. It’s a stupid cross-road that I seem to hit a few times a year. The main reason I keep it is because of what I already mentioned above, and it has a super cool JDM tyte rear mounted turbo setup :lol:

To me it just seems like your giving up on a project you cant finish at the moment just so that you can possibly start another project that you may do the same thing on later...I think a nice serving of patience would help this situation...

Regardless, I admire your initiative to aim high and try to excel in life. I just think that you’re focusing on the wrong things.

Cliffs:

1)Keep car on back burner and just keep it running as your DD.

2) I share similar shit with your car and my maxima.

3) I be admiring your aimin for the stars yo.

4) Re-think your plans and be patient.

5)You like lil boys

I know the feeling dude, I think you'll regret getting rid of it. I know the more I got to actually selling my roadster the less I wanted to.

I'd keep the datto and buy some shitbox econo car to drive daily. Like a Geo Metro or something like that. I've got some rims that would look badass on a lil suzuki swift (metro) or if you wanted something a lil sportier and with less room I cant believe I'm even suggesting on... a miata (I think they are the devil but then again I own a roadster.)

• 1 month later...

Wellllll, talked on the phone for a little over half an hour with a potential buyer this evening. Sounds like he's mailing me a check and then coming to pick it up soon after!

Texas, it sounds like you're about to get a SWEET KA'd Goon in the near future!

Wag, I've been reading this thread and the reasons for selling. And not that it matters, but I just wanted to say I understand this. If I had the projects on my hand that I do now when I was starting my career, I honestly don't think I would have gotten as far as I have. We get obsessed about them. Spend time on them when we could be furthering our future. I am not saying spending all our time and money on our cars is a bad thing, I love it, it is a fine choice and wish I had more time and cash to spend on it really! But if I had these distractions when I was starting out. And if all my friends had the same distractions so I was constantly swimming in it, I know I wouldn't be where I am, especially being in business for myself.

I say go out there, claim your stake in the world and come back to Datsuns! Will you regret sellng this? Maybe. But even if you do you can recreate the feeling and the ride down the road, and hopefully be in a place to enjoy it even more.

Best of luck! I've totally enjoyed watching your progress.

Like you said, everything that I've done on this car can be recreated and redone if I ever want to do it all again. Hell, after my first real project, I feel like I know a lot more now and can do the next one even better! Again, I'm not done with Datsuns, and my next project might even stay there!

I'm going to be sad when it goes, but I'm also excited to see it go and open a new chapter in my life.

• Like 1

Like you said, everything that I've done on this car can be recreated and redone if I ever want to do it all again. Hell, after my first real project, I feel like I know a lot more now and can do the next one even better! Again, I'm not done with Datsuns, and my next project might even stay there!

I'm going to be sad when it goes, but I'm also excited to see it go and open a new chapter in my life.

Well said!!

• 1 year later...

The 510 wagon driveshaft is a weird design. Yes, you can have it shortened, and if you do, call the driveshaft shop you want to use and ask them how they measure, take your measurements, and hand it off to them.

HOWEVER!!! Lucky for us wagon owners, there is an easier way. Assuming you're doing the typical KA swap on your 510 (bolting up to the stock 510 motor mounts, etc), the distance between the tranny flange and the differential is EXACTLY the right size to use a stock 510 sedan drive shaft (2 door or 4 door). Cheaper, easier, and it gets away from the weird wagon shaft, too.

Because you'd be using an old stock part, make sure you clean all the splines on the shaft, and clear out any old dirt or grime out, or it won't slide into the transmission.

And although the 'goon is long gone (never even heard from the new owner aside from him telling me he received it), I'm on the forum nearly every day lurking around. I rarely have anything special to add, and I'm keeping my eyes open for anything innovative in the scene... but never see anything that I haven't seen before, which saddens me. I've got ideas in my head that would make people shit bricks if I could get another project. I'm living in an apartment, so I can't have an ongoing project here, and I also don't have a ton of spare money either, so for the time being, I'm sticking with the Fronty.

Ah, good question! So the holes there are meant to lower the noise that the supercharger makes, and in doing so, reduce boost pressure... at least, that's what's been said on the internet. I handed that case off to a professional welder to close them up, rather than using JB Welding them closed like I've seen before, as JB weld seemed sketchy.

Unfortunately, after I had sold the kit, and gave everything to the new owner of it (this case, that I spent so much time cleaning up and painting, and another complete supercharger that I originally got with it that had some damage to the rotors), he attempted to use the nice case and found that the welding had been warped just enough to ruin it.

So anyway, I had them welded professionally to keep it from warping, and it warped anyway... JB weld next time would be the way to go, or MAKE SURE THE CASE DOESN'T WARP!

More boost, more noise... MORE BETTER!!

eh...I think I'lll stick with mine not welded and just under 5psi...

BTW..the air to water inter coolers work well. On my car it was dyno'd close to 20hp gain.

sucks you gave up on it.... but then again....you did get butt lice....poor choices in both situations I feel.:P

I don't think giving up on it was a poor choice at all. Since getting rid of it, I'm in a nicer place than I was, am more comfortable money wise, have a fantastic girlfriend whom I can drive around comfortably in my vehicle, have a truck that has very few issues, none of which will ever leave me stranded, etc..

Plus, I can always get another Datsun later when I have the extra money, time and space for it, and replicate every last thing I did with this one on it... or better.

Like I said, I already have plans and ideas for my next one that will make people crap themselves. I think I'd prefer going with a sedan next time, but who knows, I might do another goon!