Just Bought My First Datsun

Hi.

Im new to the forum and the datsun world at that. All my life I had toyota... 2 AW11 mr2s, 1 sw20, 90 camry with a 3sge swap, and a 1990 celica gts. decided this time to venture off and datsun 510s and 240zs always blew my mind. So i picked up a 510. 1979 510 hatch. pretty clean car with minimal rust and only 49k miles on the clock. the car is pretty cool but just cant find any parts for it at the moment. do they share any parts with the earlier 510s? I know its the Nissan Violet over seas and it looks like im gonna be importing alot of parts...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yours (HLA10) has the larger L20B engine and the tranny (4spd) is almost identical to the (PL510) except that your speedo is on the passenger side. The '77-'79 200sx dogleg 5spd will drop right into your car just like the PL. The HL might have even gotten a 5spd option, I don't know much about them. Front suspension is similar but the rear is a solid axle with coil springs, and not like the IRS of the PL510.

Post pictures of your car.

I had one a 1980 510 wagon. It would have been nicer to me if it had the L20b and not that damn Z-motor. They are good cars for an everyday car. Not very sporty at all. I wouldn't mind another as a daily driver for my wife or me.

I only paid $100 for the car, it had a bad knock in the engine, but i still managed to put over 500 miles on it before it really gave up, but it did get me home.

BLUE511.jpg

sqaures on that would look horrible.....

rectangular lights with a simple, horizontal bar grill would probably look pretty good - the vertical height of the large rectangular lights is almost identical to the diameter of the 5 1/4 round quads, and the corners are rounded, not square like the small quad light units.

Years ago, I swapped a pair of the large rectangular lights into a 620 KC using early HB pick up headlight buckets, with extra vertical bars added into the stock grill to fill in the space left from removing the quad round lights - made the truck look wider and lower.

I had one a 1980 510 wagon. It would have been nicer to me if it had the L20b and not that damn Z-motor. They are good cars for an everyday car. Not very sporty at all. I wouldn't mind another as a daily driver for my wife or me.

I only paid $100 for the car, it had a bad knock in the engine, but i still managed to put over 500 miles on it before it really gave up, but it did get me home.

BLUE511.jpg

My god that thing is ugly :D.

Did you buy it yet? The car is still on CL. http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/946791683.html

If this is not the same car then you have a twin. :blink:

Funny, I just saw that ad today and was thinking about calling to ask about the car, guess it got picked up before I could inquire about it. Should be a fun little car.

BLUE511.jpg

I had the same car!!!

automatic with the z24 engine, think mine was an 81 tho. red. That thing ran great, i never had a problem with it. wish i still had it.

i had a 78 hatch the hatchs look sweet an sr or ka swap should be easyer with your car it is already set up for a front sump oil pan plus you have more room in the engine bay plus the mounts for the engine mounts un bolt:) ( if i remember right ) "i like the tail light's on these cars". If i remember right there is a way to use z31front brakes on your car. plus you have a bigger stock rotar up front than our older 510's. the week point on your car is the rear end if you like to do burn outs be care full or you will pull the yoke right out of the rear end .

i think with some nice paint some lowering these cars would be hottttttt