New Truck - '71 521

andyZ00m

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm definately interested in this mini alternator.

Years back I used a local rewind shop to modify the alternator on my Jeeps to crank out higher output, as running the winch would make some serious draw down. Like the description, an old shop and a guy who really knew his stuff. Probably a dying breed though, shops only want to replace not repair.

7 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Nice! Is there a maximum amperage these systems can handle? Amperage is available current so seems more would be better right as long as it fits 

Just now, andyZ00m said:

Nice! Is there a maximum amperage these systems can handle? Amperage is available current so seems more would be better right as long as it fits 

I dont think so but I'm definitely not an expert..... 

I have upgraded a few vehicles with higher amperage alternator for loud stereos and never had any negative effects....

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That's a very common alternator. My John Deere tractor has the same unit. We run the same one in our Midget race car.

Is it internally regulated? Doesnt say on the listing. Also, can the existing voltage regulator in the Datsun handle the higher current rating?

I bet I can get this model locally. Looks commonly available 

2 hours ago, andyZ00m said:

Is it internally regulated? Doesnt say on the listing. Also, can the existing voltage regulator in the Datsun handle the higher current rating?

Yes, it’s internally regulated. A true one-wire hookup. Fat wire from the charge post to starter post. One fat ground wire from the case to chassis. I would NOT use the stock alternator wires. Run larger gauge. I think I used 4AWG ultraflex, with a fusible link inline.

Alternately, the stock voltage regulator can handle a larger amperage alternator no problem.

Pick one or the other.

Edited by mainer311
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yes, it’s internally regulated. A true one-wire hookup. Fat wire from the charge post to starter post. One fat ground wire from the case to chassis. I would NOT use the stock alternator wires. Run larger gauge. I think I used 4AWG ultraflex, with a fusible link inline.

Alternately, the stock voltage regulator can handle a larger amperage alternator no problem.

Pick one or the other.

Awesome! This seems like the way.

This means I can cut out the regulator but will still need to run the star ground to the alternator ground (rest of the grounding scheme goes through the regulator harness).

Theres also the WhiteRed and Whiteblue from the regulator harness that go to the combo meter and the combo lamp. Im assuming that 12 VDC and I would need to connect those somehow. Mike recommended if going with a regulated alternator you would connect yellow/WR but there is another lead in this truck.

4WZIJrl.png

image.png.c5c27b3b053c82927c65dbdd2a784768.png

In the regulator plug all you need are the White, Yellow, White/Black and White/Red wires. Any left over wires remove from the plug.

If you have a later car or truck with an electric choke there are a couple of more things to change.

4 hours ago, andyZ00m said:

The regulator doesn't handle any of the produced current. It only increases or decreases the power through the spinning rotor increasing/decreasing the magnetic field passing through the stator wires generating more (or less) power.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

ypu have photo of how it hook up to the lower alt bracket? spacers??????

On my roadster? It uses the longer nose cast iron alternator bracket from an early car instead of the short nose smog pump bracket. Even then, it uses a short 1/2" spacer between the bracket and the alternator. (Later cars had a spacer on the water pump and an offset crank pulley that pushed everything more forward.) It then has a triangular mount on the other side that fastens using two bolts through the timing chain cover, plus the tensioner piece on top. It's rock solid.

Datsun dude at the parts store yelled at me for even thinking about changing this stock beauty. We found a 14501 reman with lifetime warranty from a good company at another shop nearby. Part showing up tomorrow. Got new fusible links and a bunch of battery wire, new terminals, new belts and new battery. 

Also fixed the tail light out. Ancient electrical tape and butt connectors needed replacing on the harness in the back. 

Saturday in the garage gunna be fun! I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and they are both setting up camp in the bed of the truck. Fun stuff 

13 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

ypu have photo of how it hook up to the lower alt bracket? spacers??????

You could also buy this....

For the z cars but I bet it would work ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224629583165?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=UNWtMRxgSEK&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20231111-073241_eBay.jpg

Fixed the turn signals. There was some corrosion on the contacts in the switch and I cleaned it up, put it back together and cleaned the molex connector with some deoxit and a toothbrush. Works great. Needs a new flasher unit though. Had to test it with the working unit from the hazards. 

Now all the lights are working. Brakes, running lights, dash, indicators, headlights and high beams. 

looking through this rock auto site, they have modern halogen replacement headlights. I’m assuming I already have a replacement of that type. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, andyZ00m said:

There was some corrosion on the contacts in the switch and I cleaned it up,

told ya!!!!!

Crashed I never seen that part listed before good to know.

however L16 blocks are 2 bolts in the block  and use the smaller bolts unless it generic and fits 2 AND 3 BOLT ENGINE BLOCKS

zcardepot is a great one stop shop site

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Thanks 1