I just scored a 521 trayback

NPR

Hey guys,

I've had a 1600/510 for years and just scored a 68 521 ute but I'm really struggling to find parts. Might be because I'm in Australia but I'm not 100% sure. I'm also confused with the external door handles. I think mine aren't the standard as they look more like a 510 not the nice slimline handle that recesses into the door. 

Anyway hi and I look forward to starting my 521 journey!

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Wasn't the trayback what we would call a flatbed?

tray...

image.jpeg.e21c005c13c87e402e48fbec1d75602e.jpeg

Well he did say he is in Australia....

They seem to love the flatbed look on everything....

The ute is confusing me....

I thought ute's were more unibody or at least a truck with the bed connected to the cab...

Sweet, where's the pics 🙂 your just down the coast from me. 

Another tray back or flatbed for our friends over the ditch.  I'm not sure many were delievered to Australia with a bullet/tub rear.  Nearly if not all the 620's I have seen here have tray back as well as 520/521's I have seen.  The common ute was often called a tonner - eg can carry a ton, funny thing is the 620 is rated same 🙂

The 720 was alot more common here with the full tub, but I almost sold my 1600/510 for a tray back 720 with FJ years ago.

Okay enough hijacking.  Is it a runner?

Tub. We call it a box. Trayback is box or tub removed. The UTE or double cab is basically like a car without a trunk lid. It's one piece so could never be a trayback as the 'tub' is not removable. Just the way I see it. No offense. I had a PL521 and my 620 came with a trayback.

• Like 2

Hey guys, ahaha yes I think it might just be my Aussie slang and what we call things. It turns over but isn't a complete goer as yet but all the parts are there. I just need to give it the once over to clean it up for rego.

Here's a pic, I'm going to lower it and reduce the width of the tray to align with the ute body. I'm looking forward to playing with it but am struggling to find parts. Plus I'm still scratching my head about the chrome door handles. Mine don't seem to be like all the rest I see online so they may have been swapped at some stage.

hiPPxMp.jpg

• Like 3

Looks pretty straight, a clean and polish and away ya go.  What parts are you looking for?

Anyways down under they are utes, Trucks are ..well trucks 🤣  When ya grow up with an earthmover a truck has to haul a few more kgs than 1000 🤣

Thank guys, Here's a pic of the door and it doesn't look like yours unfortunately. Your handles fin in the neatly and line up with the body. I'm struggling to find a new set to replace them with.

ve4gqnl.jpgalSAoPi.jpg

Parts wise, I need a new front bumper, bonnet, handles, and all the locks. That's a quick list ahaha but I am sure to need more. Oh and retrimmed seats or covers to retrim myself. Compared to the 510 where parts are easily found, this 521 is much harder but hopefully more rewarding.

I'd like to put some chaser style looking wheel on it also, just need to work out offsets.

Lot's of things to slowly work out as I go along. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NPR said:

Thank guys, Here's a pic of the door and it doesn't look like yours unfortunately. Your handles fin in the neatly and line up with the body. I'm struggling to find a new set to replace them with.

ve4gqnl.jpgalSAoPi.jpg

Parts wise, I need a new front bumper, bonnet, handles, and all the locks. That's a quick list ahaha but I am sure to need more. Oh and retrimmed seats or covers to retrim myself. Compared to the 510 where parts are easily found, this 521 is much harder but hopefully more rewarding.

I'd like to put some chaser style looking wheel on it also, just need to work out offsets.

There is definitely something off with those handles vs stock 521...

But it looks like that area was reshaped also..... stock handles might not fit correctly now....

If they work I'd leave them alone...

Locks are needed but the rest can wait.... hood and bumper dont look that bad.... 

Yeah it's crazy isn't it. Especially seeing when I look inside the door it doesn't look like anyone had modded the handles. Certainly is confusing but I agree, we'll leave them there and clean her up as we go. 

As for the hood and bumper. I really would love a fresh chrome bumer and the hood has been bent back so where it hinges have been folded, a nice little crease left. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much panel work to straighten things up.

Cheers guys!!!

4 hours ago, NPR said:

Yeah it's crazy isn't it. Especially seeing when I look inside the door it doesn't look like anyone had modded the handles. Certainly is confusing but I agree, we'll leave them there and clean her up as we go. 

As for the hood and bumper. I really would love a fresh chrome bumer and the hood has been bent back so where it hinges have been folded, a nice little crease left. I'm sure it wouldn't take too much panel work to straighten things up.

Cheers guys!!!

Just might be hard to find....

Bumper if straight can easily be rechromed... better quality than anything after market... I know they reproduce the rear bumperettes but not sure about the front....

The hood crease is probably from frozen hinges and someone forcing the hood open at one point.....

I have seen these handles before, but I cannot remember where for sure, maybe 720 or hardbody, maybe a tailgate handle.

I have lots of right side 521 door handles, but I do not have left hand side handles as they are the ones that break over here and any I have I save for myself as I have broken a few, its especially bad when one also owns a 720(have not driven mine in a few years) as when the door is locked the handle gives without breaking the lever/arm inside the door, but when a 521 is locked the handle stops(does not give), it does give when one pulls it hard enough, it breaks the lever/arm off the handle inside the door and the door cannot be opened anymore with that handle.

Handles are going to be hard to find over there in Australia, the only thing harder to find would be the 521 box(tub?), as almost all early Datsun trucks imported into Australia came as cab/chassis except for the U model.

On 9/7/2023 at 2:54 AM, NPR said:

ve4gqnl.jpgalSAoPi.jpg

I pulled the other doors trim off over the weekend and on that side, I can see where something has been welded. I then contacted the last owner and he confirmed that they had been changed but he wasn't sure to what either lol I may have to stick with them. 

They sound painful if they break that easy, probably why mine aren't standard anymore ahaha 

I'll pull them apart more and see if I can work out what they're off. 

I wanted a box tub but I agree, it's going to be way too hard to try and track one of those down over here for sure. 

I think I will just have to suck it up and press on with what ever door handles it has for now. 

I have made contact with a guy called George Moses on Datsun cars/parts group on Facebook and he has a fair few parts. Just always worries me about not being able to see the parts in person before I send money. 

Cheers!!!

I looked at my 720 once I got home, what you have appears to be 720 door handles to me, I am surprised they fit, that is good to know, but I expect it depends on how much they needed to me modified to work on a 521.

I have dealt with a Moses in the US, do not know if that is the same guy or not although it is not a common name, I do not know if Moses is his first or last name, these days it is hard to know with so many scammers out there using others names that have a good reputation to make a quick buck.

Thanks for that, glad to know. From looking inside the door on the passenger side it does look like they have cut the handle and pocket out sapping it with the 720. 

Yeah so hard to know what is legit and what is a scam these days. Certainly makes me think twice before handing the money over. 

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...