Dusten

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/21/2023 at 12:48 AM, Dusten said:

You can attempt to judge the situation all you want. 

Judge the situation? I'm trying to commiserate and relate, you know, find common ground. We are different and the same. My father passed in July and he was a machinist--different and same. But I understand if your guarded, posting (that you) live large, big house, five cars, you're in charge-Comin' up in the world-Don't trust nobody-Gotta look over your shoulder constantly-C. Hill

2 hours ago, frankendat said:

Judge the situation? I'm trying to commiserate and relate, you know, find common ground. We are different and the same. My father passed in July and he was a machinist--different and same. But I understand if your guarded, posting (that you) live large, big house, five cars, you're in charge-Comin' up in the world-Don't trust nobody-Gotta look over your shoulder constantly-C. Hill

Coming up lol.  43 yrs old and divorced and recovering is more like it.  

The comment about never getting towed and mocking my tools isn't finding common ground.  

• Like 1
On 9/23/2023 at 11:29 PM, frankendat said:

Now here's one that would almost be worth the money to go get simply because it's close

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/6049604128472951/?ref=newsfeed

• Like 1
On 9/24/2023 at 3:08 AM, Dusten said:

Coming up lol.  43 yrs old and divorced and recovering is more like it.  

The comment about never getting towed and mocking my tools isn't finding common ground.  

The written word, while convenient, will not express inflection. I know this, but forget when I get comfortable. It was not my intention to mock your tools or your tow. For the former, it is only envy, If I ever acquire a Snap-on anything (which is unlikely) it will be from some lucky trade or windfall. The retail prices for Snap-on tools are often 10X what I paid for mine. The latter is similar, only recently, has "short tow coverage" been included in my insurance. The majority of my life, being towed has been a luxury. Datsun has been synonymous with your buddy holding a flashlight out the window, because you don't dare turn on the headlights, because the alternator went out and you need to get home or a host of other sketchy shit.  I don't think you're lacking. It is a good thing, no disrespect intended or implied.

Sorry to hear of your split, it is always unpleasant. 

We are all "coming up", unless you're the lead dog the scenery never changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4VpE-0zitU

• Like 1

Well from my other thread I thought I had a failed coil or hei module.

It turns out I failed to tighten the negative cable when I installed a new battery.  

This caused me to re-evalute my ignition system.  I found the stock transistor box for the truck.  I verified all the wiring was correct and in place and decided to remove the hei system.  I'm a big fan of OEM parts when available.  

The coil is an ngk 1.5 ohm coil so no resistor.  

I also got tired of the pathetic horn that the previous owner had installed.  I researched good OEM horns and settled on the gm 4 tone setup.  Sadly when I pulled them from the wrecking yard only 3 worked.  But they still sound better.  

The horns as mounted

20230930_160728.thumb.jpg.7ceefa6e71661ce13e3e41dee701d3a5.jpg

And the grill back in place

20230930_160858.thumb.jpg.c89f144399c39f7c470b1124d843c66f.jpg

The underhood now without the hei and horn.  

20230930_164241.thumb.jpg.9c88dea8c2d0b6ceeee22e01fd15a665.jpg

And the horns

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx1bKgkvMhm/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

usually the 1.5 or 1.6 ohm coils are for the point ignition with 1.6 ohm  ballast.

the EI coils are like .7 ohms remote box or matchbox ignitions(no ballast)

just feel the coil when running it. if it feels HOT then its a point coil and in time the insulation melts and shorts out.

A 3 ohm coil is for points

1.5 is ei

0.75-1.0 ohms is for EI system.

Points are about 1.5 ohm coil plus 1.5 ohm ballast resistor adding to 3.0 running.

This is likely a points coil which expects a 1.5 ohm ballast in line to cut the current flow down. It will work, but is letting too much current through it. The coil itself will run much hotter, possibly frying it. Can you grab onto the coil and hold it? If not it's too hot. You'll get more spark from a proper 1 ohm EI coil and it won't over heat.

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

0.75-1.0 ohms is for EI system.

Points are about 1.5 ohm coil plus 1.5 ohm ballast resistor adding to 3.0 running.

This is likely a points coil which expects a 1.5 ohm ballast in line to cut the current flow down. It will work, but is letting too much current through it. The coil itself will run much hotter, possibly frying it. Can you grab onto the coil and hold it? If not it's too hot. You'll get more spark from a proper 1 ohm EI coil and it won't over heat.

The coil literally says "use with electronic ignition on it"

So I'll leave it alone. 

3 ohm is combined with he ballast and stock coil. been that way since 1970 then in 78 and after the .7 ohm coil used with EI.

But if it dont get HOT and ignition module dont burn up in 3 years  guess your good.

ON point set up during start the ballast is bypassed so only the 1.5 ohm coil get the current thru so a bigger spark during COLD start up. then when key goes to ON it goes thru the ballast and then the coil to prevent the point/pertronix buring .

If you have a EI dist in there then use a .7 ohm coil for bigger spark.

If it runs call it good

pertronixstockcoilsetup.JPG

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

And after 2 hours of errands.

Including not being shut off forn45 minutes straight

The coil

20231002_141431.thumb.jpg.47fad21caea2a68983f162a56bbf5fe0.jpg

The manifold

20231002_141438.thumb.jpg.30b696244d742b26b8e1df6d63657b81.jpg

For comparison of surrounding temps

The fender and brake booster 

20231002_141446.thumb.jpg.bc64dd847df6ec073c5a86f070d890ce.jpg20231002_141444.thumb.jpg.a10f88e5db57aac642e3d0cfb6a1bc26.jpg

the coil is at a temp id consider acceptable.  

• Like 1

Have a look round for oil leaks also. Stick cardboard under the front and check in the morning. Most common is the valve cover gasket. If wet, replace it when you do the seals. You may have to power wash the engine several times to get all crumbly stuff off then check regularly to see where it starts.