Dusten

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

What USB port is that. I like the simplicity.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/dorman-help/hardware---fasteners/body---trim/other-body/cigarette-lighters---accessories/d45afda1c1cd/dorman-help-usb-socket/mtm0/84622

It fits the hole really well.

It's cheaper on Amazon but my local store had it in stock.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been just fiddling with it lately while driving it.

It now has a functional horn

it has windshield washers that work

it has an alternator with all 3 bolts holding it in.

i still havent ordered wheels.

my roll pan and drop kit should be here any day.  

I've put 1100 miles on it.  Its seen a best of 24mpg and a worst of 19 and is averaging 21.4

Edited by Dusten

Changing the wheels and tires this weekend and lowering the truck.  So I decided to clean it and take some before photos 

The intake and exhaust manifold swap is on hold for 6-8 weeks.  My exhaust shop of choice is back logged.  I decided to buy a bare flange and have a complete system made.  

20230517_163604.thumb.jpg.629ea6e0304b01b2844a358c225714fa.jpgof20230517_163357.thumb.jpg.e54debbf1e3b97788aeb8fe5207593c4.jpg20230517_163345.thumb.jpg.058c836f0472e7dfa1659b3397991fba.jpg20230517_163335.thumb.jpg.c3a27d0166023b849233d2dd7cb3883a.jpg

• Like 4

I asked my upholstery guy about saddle blanket covers a while back and he hates doing them because they just don't last. But... in the past few years, upholstery manufacturers have started making material that looks similar. Do a quick internet search and see what you can find. Search terms I've used are "mexican blanket", "serape", "southwestern" and "western ranch".

• Thanks 1
On 5/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Those tires look awfully close to the leaf springs. Try hanging some corners and see if they rub.

What wheels are those again? I'm sure you said, but I forgot.

They're actually farther away they the setup.  

They've been on it for a few hundred miles already.  

No rub marks.  

20230523_073451.thumb.jpg.ff021831fe29f7a77ad470c0f03e089a.jpg

• Like 2
On 5/24/2023 at 7:35 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I thought they looked familiar. I use the FJC steelies on my FJ60 builds. They are 17" but look identical.

20190406_102832.jpg?width=960&height=720

I contemplated the fjc steelies for my hdj81 and the Datsun.  But I stuck with 16s in the Datsun.  The 81 will probably get them when I need new tires as the selection with 17s is better.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Parked the truck for a few days while i left town.

Went to fire it up and take it to work last night and ran into an issue

It started and idled up.  I popped the throttle to idle it down and it died.

Started it up and if i hit the gas it would die.

About the third or fourth start it decided to just crank.  

Well i was going to work, so i jumped in the land cruiser and left the truck sit.

Came home this am and shot a little starting fluid in it and it fired off and died.

Pulled the hose off the carb from the fuel pump and cranked it a while into a bottle.  Nothing.

I have fuel in the filter that is before the pump.  So, my pumps dead.

Ordered a cheapo from oreillys that will be here tomorrow.  This is just to get it running.  I'll order a higher quality one shortly and swap it out.  

I got the flange for my new manifold to have a local shop build me exhaust but have been busy and haven't touched it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Hold onto the old pump till you are sure that it was the pump. The old pump is a better quality than the new one. No sense trading to poorer quality. A blocked fuel line will also do this.

The old pump is a newer pump it appears.  It's not a blocked line.  I can draw fuel with a small hand pump into the filter.  

New pump is on.  Threw a little fuel in the carb and it runs great.  Drove it to work.  I'll seek out a good pump.  I found some links on FB to pumps.  I just wanted to get it running.  It takes all of 3 minutes to swap the pump.  

16 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

you went backwards ,like the other wheels better but Nice looking truck

15s are lame

Corroded wanna be alcoas are lame

The tires were to small

The backspacing was all wrong.  

I should've honestly gone 17s.  

• Like 1

I've got to make getting this intake manifold and exhaust manifold swap a priority and get my fuel system addressed.  The smell of fuel on this truck is just atrocious.  

I can tell if it's the open vent.  The open return line or a leak at the carb adapter setup.  But I want to just address them all at once.  

my carb accell pump had a leak.

i looked at the carb and cycled the throttle gas was coming out the accell pump diaphrame draining on the intake and exahuset  its the square looking thing on valve cover side with the 4 screws

other Gas smaell would be over filling the tank and gas leaks thru the rotton hose in the wheel well or the top of the fuel sender would leak thru the O ring or the solder joint was cracked.

9 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

my carb accell pump had a leak.

i looked at the carb and cycled the throttle gas was coming out the accell pump diaphrame draining on the intake and exahuset  its the square looking thing on valve cover side with the 4 screws

other Gas smaell would be over filling the tank and gas leaks thru the rotton hose in the wheel well or the top of the fuel sender would leak thru the O ring or the solder joint was cracked.

It's in the engine bay.  That's I mentioned the open vent and return line that were never rerouted or capped by the po.